Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
They only disliked the KS1 because it seemed to not have any user demographic in mind. Besides, they were both drunk.
One of them posted on PF that they did not imbibe until after the review and the reason they rated the K-S1 so low because Pentax is known for its handling and ruggedness and the K-S1 has none of those. Then in their K-S2 review they take the K-S2 on a river/stream fishing trip apparently without a bag, hand or neck strap and then complain about the weight and handling and says the EM5 MK2 or XT1 are just as rugged and WR but smaller and lighter. Compare apples to oranges why don't you as both the Olympus and Fuji are mirrorless cameras. Get rid of the pentaprism and the mirror box mechanism and K-S2 would be lighter too. Why not a comparable Canon or Nikon APS-C DSLR?

04-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lol great, now gear doesn't matter. Back when Pentax didn't compete with the Canikon flagships, it was all about gear and lab tests. Now that Pentax has made a couple generations of great cameras that compete with, and beat, many rival cameras? Nooo, its not about the gear anymore, now its about.. um.. something else. Tradition and special lenses? No, Pentax had that all along. Now its about.. its about how you press the shutter button. Right, now you don't need any reason to be loyal to some brand, be zen, ignore gear - at least the competitor's gear if not your own
04-29-2015, 11:02 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's the problem? The article is pretty on track. You do get more features in Pentax bodies than in the competition. But that's required to keep existing customers and hopefully lure in some others. You do have a much more limited used lens market if you shoot Pentax, places like this forum make that less of a problem but still hold prices a bit hostage compared to competitors. You can shoot with just about any modern gear (and even some not so modern gear) and produce stunning images - the person behind the camera is more important than the gear.

Where I find fault is that a person who is moving to a 3 primes and a body kit could easily find what they want in Pentax. The FA limiteds are fast and compact and work on the FF that is on the way. Or the DA Limiteds if using the K3ii without a future FF need.

I guess what I am saying is the article is all over the map - parts of it are accurate and true and parts seem self-serving and out of touch with theme.

In any case, I'm not losing sleep over it.
04-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #19

Yeah, I find the article to be a bit of a back handed compliment towards Pentax. Such is life

04-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's like a British politician writing about a really good US Libertarian candidate for President.

The new guy is a threat to the Established Order Democrats and Republicans (and to the relationships the foreigner has developed with the EO) so we have to change the conversation.
04-29-2015, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
I know a Canon wildlife shooter who for years has taken notice of my photos. I think he is one of the better ones and has a small following. To put a long story short he occasionally asks me questions about Pentax. He read about the rumored FF camera and asked me about it. I told him about the pixel shifting technology. I sent him links I found on this site. It seemed to me he wanted the Pentax FF camera that day.
Yes. The pixel shifting is interesting. When photos start showing up where an apsc body is giving medium format detail, all for $1k, Pentax will sell some equipment. Especially when it is in an all else being equal package.

And yes I know all the details of dof and larger format. And the downsides of pixel shifting.

I know it probably will move me to buy one.
04-30-2015, 01:57 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice article. Although I still believe in using what I like and not jumping from one system to another. I still like to grow into the system rather than having 2 which would be difficult to maintain. And as far as what Ricoh is doing, Pentax will be here for quite some time.

04-30-2015, 03:18 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a fine article. I believe that it does point out the simple fact that it is in many ways better to be using a brand that is trying to gain market share, than one that is trying to hold on to it. Canon and Nikon can't release a large sensored mirrorless camera without damaging their SLR line. They can't put image stabilization in their camera bodies because that would hurt sales of their optically stabilized lenses. And the list goes on.

At this point, Canon and Nikon are more about the refinement of existing features and trying to get as many users as possible to buy full frame cameras. Otherwise, they are kind of stuck.

At the same time, you shouldn't buy into a brand for a specific camera body, but rather for the glass you have/hope to get and Canon and Nikon have very nice line ups. They are better with regard to auto focus than Pentax, although there have been significant improvements over time and will continue to be.

It is a good time to be buying a camera. Lots of options and you can't go wrong with any of them, as far as I am concerned.
04-30-2015, 07:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good, bad, or indifferent ... you can't help but acknowledge that Ricoh and Pentax are starting to make waves. The big players may or may not be paying attention right now but they will have to soon. All big things start small.
04-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #25

Lot of people wishing Pentax to gain a lot of a market share and I'm not sure if I'm fond of that... How much would the prices for good old manual lenses increase?
04-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barresian Quote
Lot of people wishing Pentax to gain a lot of a market share and I'm not sure if I'm fond of that... How much would the prices for good old manual lenses increase?
Hard to say. Many of the new entries into the fold might only be interested in the D FA or DA lenses. Also as the number of buyers increases Ricoh will be able to make or redesign many more lenses and the demand for specific items, may fall off.
04-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Yes. The pixel shifting is interesting. When photos start showing up where an apsc body is giving medium format detail, all for $1k, Pentax will sell some equipment. Especially when it is in an all else being equal package.

And yes I know all the details of dof and larger format. And the downsides of pixel shifting.

I know it probably will move me to buy one.
And I didn't mention that the Canonite likes the Sony sensors. He says the resolution, low noise and dynamic range are all potentially superior to Canon cameras. Like me he has heard Canon has nothing on the Nikon D800 series. I figure the new Pentax FF is going to be superior to the D810 in image quality (with pixel shifting) if they use the same sensor.
04-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Hard to say. Many of the new entries into the fold might only be interested in the D FA or DA lenses. Also as the number of buyers increases Ricoh will be able to make or redesign many more lenses and the demand for specific items, may fall off.
That's true.

I think that for myself, I'd be happy even with higher prices for old glass would if in exchange we would get more stuff like the plastic wonders (yeah, I'm that sort of guy). A bigger second hand market for modern lenses in the long term could be expected and a nice side effect. And of course, big market share means more chances for the brand to survive a long time, which is something really important (at least for those who are really invested into their gear).

Bottomline: I probably also want Pentax to grow, but not too fast... need a little more time to harvest on ebay.
04-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yes, great read. I can't wait to how TCS guys are going to hammer the K-3ii
The Camera Store loves Pentax. See their reviews of the 645Z and the K-3.

It was their favorable review of the K-30 that got me to buy into Pentax in the first place.
04-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I've been reading the comments related to the new FF that have been posted on a number of sites and there are quite a few references to pros who are really interested in the new FF Pentax. It seems as Boris has indicated that Ricoh is indeed making waves and generating interest in their efforts to offer something different. If they hit a home run with the FF, then Pentax will have a complete stable of interchangeable lens camera bodies other than a mirrorless FF, APSC or four-thirds format camera. And....... who knows what Ricoh has planned for upcoming Ricoh branded offerings, they have been coy regarding activities on the Ricoh side of the fence.