Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2015, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #31
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This K-3II is giving us a taste of things to come in the FF camera. The technology in it has great application in the FF format and it will certainly help to put Pentax more prominently on the photography map.

04-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #32
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This K-3II is giving us a taste of things to come in the FF camera. The technology in it has great application in the FF format and it will certainly help to put Pentax more prominently on the photography map.
Yes this has been said many times over in the various K-3 II threads..
04-30-2015, 02:48 PM - 2 Likes   #33

I really don't understand this 'fear' that I sense, this "should I buy one or not", "what if the company goes out of business in a few years", "what if no-one else has one"... It's really bizarre. What is the deal? If the product is great and it does what you need then just buy one!! If the company goes out of business, you don't have to give it back!!! You can keep it foreverrrrr, and all the lenses will not vanish off the market either. There is nothing whatever at stake.

The FF Pentax (my prediction) is going to be a big hit, will most likely be in short supply for the first 12 months, and will send the market wild.
04-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
I really don't understand this 'fear' that I sense, this "should I buy one or not", "what if the company goes out of business in a few years", "what if no-one else has one"... It's really bizarre. What is the deal? If the product is great and it does what you need then just buy one!! If the company goes out of business, you don't have to give it back!!! You can keep it foreverrrrr, and all the lenses will not vanish off the market either. There is nothing whatever at stake.

The FF Pentax (my prediction) is going to be a big hit, will most likely be in short supply for the first 12 months, and will send the market wild.
Welcome to Pentax Forums! I'm not sure about sending the market wild, but you said it first, here!

04-30-2015, 09:10 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just in our local user group today there was someone who was going on about how he wished this, this this, and that was in his Canon. Said he would switch to Pentax if it was FF and high res enough. I mentioned the FF confirmation/preview and then it kinda started taking off like wildfire. it was interesting, a lot of people started to peek interest, especially when I mentioned astrotracer. These guys are all landscape guys mind you.
04-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

You sure know how to smitten us pentaxians....a like for your effort..may they bloom a million..
04-30-2015, 11:30 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
wow, you have a nice portofolio there
Thank you Redcat

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I'm assuming The Camera Store TV. But they love Pentax. The K3 episode was a rave review. They loved the 645Z except for video. They only disliked the KS1 because it seemed to not have any user demographic in mind. Besides, they were both drunk.
Thank you for the explanation.

05-01-2015, 12:42 AM   #38

Well, I perfectly understand it. If you invest 2 000€ in your gear (1 000€ in the camera, 1 000€ in glass) you want to max out it's usage. With the camera, seeing the company going is not a very big deal, as after some years it will be out of date and you would have probably bought a new one anyway (or eventually it will stop working). Lenses however are something different, they are basically suposed to last "forever" (if they are good) as they adapt to (most) camera-based technological evolution. And that's were seeing "your" company going out of business hits you hard, because those 1 000€ in objectives which were supposed to be used with different cameras over, let's say 20 year, suddenly are useless after only one camera. Let's say I bought a SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited with my Pentax K10D 8 years ago. I would still be able to take great photos with it, but if I'd upgrade my camera to a newer one I would do even better photos and this progressing is taken into account when you invest in lenses... but a company going out of business kills that so you esentially get stuck with the technological limitation of the moment you bought your camera.

That said, I don't think Pentax is going out of business soon.
05-01-2015, 01:56 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barresian Quote
Well, I perfectly understand it. If you invest 2 000€ in your gear (1 000€ in the camera, 1 000€ in glass) you want to max out it's usage. With the camera, seeing the company going is not a very big deal, as after some years it will be out of date and you would have probably bought a new one anyway (or eventually it will stop working). Lenses however are something different, they are basically suposed to last "forever" (if they are good) as they adapt to (most) camera-based technological evolution. And that's were seeing "your" company going out of business hits you hard, because those 1 000€ in objectives which were supposed to be used with different cameras over, let's say 20 year, suddenly are useless after only one camera. Let's say I bought a SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited with my Pentax K10D 8 years ago. I would still be able to take great photos with it, but if I'd upgrade my camera to a newer one I would do even better photos and this progressing is taken into account when you invest in lenses... but a company going out of business kills that so you esentially get stuck with the technological limitation of the moment you bought your camera.

That said, I don't think Pentax is going out of business soon.
Yes I perfectly understand it too. I've experienced it myself when Olympus discontinued 4/3. I was stuck with 2 bodies and I wanted to upgrade my lenses. However, I thought it over and decided to jump to Pentax. My reason was if I upgrade my lenses, I would be stuck with it as there will be no new bodies to use them in the future. Despite the presence of the EM-1, I'll definitely be in a dead end in about 5 - 10 years.

Why Pentax? Well I researched and found that it had IBIS. Plus the K-mount has been there since I don't know when and Ricoh's acquisition also gave life to Pentax. As evidenced now, Ricoh is storming Pentax with new products with upgraded capabilities. My experience with my K-5II is really great. I'll be with Pentax all the way through. I just hope they add more distributors and service centers here in my country. It's really funny, Pentax cameras are made here in my country yet the after sales service is bad.
05-01-2015, 06:44 AM   #40

But the thing is, it is practically instantaneous to sell your gear now. You can chuck it on whatever website and sell it inside a week! There will always be someone who wants it and you stand to losee very little even if the company goes tits-up. Some youngster will appreciate it. Then you can buy the latest thing from brand whatever. Doesn't matter.
05-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Yes I perfectly understand it too. I've experienced it myself when Olympus discontinued 4/3. I was stuck with 2 bodies and I wanted to upgrade my lenses. However, I thought it over and decided to jump to Pentax. My reason was if I upgrade my lenses, I would be stuck with it as there will be no new bodies to use them in the future. Despite the presence of the EM-1, I'll definitely be in a dead end in about 5 - 10 years.

Why Pentax? Well I researched and found that it had IBIS. Plus the K-mount has been there since I don't know when and Ricoh's acquisition also gave life to Pentax. As evidenced now, Ricoh is storming Pentax with new products with upgraded capabilities. My experience with my K-5II is really great. I'll be with Pentax all the way through. I just hope they add more distributors and service centers here in my country. It's really funny, Pentax cameras are made here in my country yet the after sales service is bad.
Again, you were not stuck with these bodies. Look at the prices they are still fetching on ebay etc. They are still good cameras! Similarly the Olympus 43 lenses are still being drooled over by many and are a good reason to get into the E-M1 system. I detect a groupthink mentality in camera gear. It's almost like football teams and I don't get it.
05-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
You sure know how to smitten us pentaxians....a like for your effort..may they bloom a million..
It's obvious really. Pentax is producing the best cameras at the best price in the DSLR realm right now. With FF they complete the range. Simple business theory really, even if their marketing strategy is defective. Olympus and Sony are the kings in mirrorless. Canon and Nikon can really start to look old very quickly, no matter how many lenses there are out there. It is very quick to sell your gear and we have an international supermarket online for buying new ones. It''s trivial! How many lenses does anyone need for heaven's sake? I'll bet most people use little more than three lenses for 99% of their needs. Can Pentax manage that? I think so. lol
05-01-2015, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #43

A very good read! For those of you who remember me, the "foreigner" Nikon shooter, you'll be happy to know that I have indeed slowly begun to pull the trigger on selling all my DX gear for a K-3 II. And I'll look forward to possibly trading my full-frame Nikon gear for a full-frame Pentax, if the interface is up to my customization and control standards.

What got the ball rolling is kind of a silly story, actually- I saw a pricing error on the pentax web store that listed a K-3 II body kit and 50mm for $119.50, instead of what I assume should have been $1,195.00 or something. They unfortunately cancelled my order because "shipping is delayed" ...but either way, I'm officially selling off my APS-C Nikon gear.

On that note, has anybody heard about the actual ship date of the K-3 II? I'd love to have one in time for a trip I'm taking in a couple weeks, but that's probably a bit too soon.
05-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

…. I detect a groupthink mentality in camera gear. It's almost like football teams and I don't get it.
I doubt that groupthink has much of a chance here: there are too many critical evaluators on this Forum for it to last very long, if it were to start. There are some of the symptoms, I agree, but many contributors have dual or multiple systems, and are quick to dispel myths. Even those of us whose gear is predominantly or exclusively Pentax often shoot with people who use other systems. What may add to the impression of groupthink is that people who become enamoured of other gear tend to either proselytise until they wear out their welcome, or just quietly leave.
05-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
A very good read! For those of you who remember me, the "foreigner" Nikon shooter, you'll be happy to know that I have indeed slowly begun to pull the trigger on selling all my DX gear for a K-3 II. And I'll look forward to possibly trading my full-frame Nikon gear for a full-frame Pentax, if the interface is up to my customization and control standards.

What got the ball rolling is kind of a silly story, actually- I saw a pricing error on the pentax web store that listed a K-3 II body kit and 50mm for $119.50, instead of what I assume should have been $1,195.00 or something. They unfortunately cancelled my order because "shipping is delayed" ...but either way, I'm officially selling off my APS-C Nikon gear.

On that note, has anybody heard about the actual ship date of the K-3 II? I'd love to have one in time for a trip I'm taking in a couple weeks, but that's probably a bit too soon.
Apparently it ships at the end of May, maybe around 22nd. I put my order in about a week ago