Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
A very good read! For those of you who remember me, the "foreigner" Nikon shooter, you'll be happy to know that I have indeed slowly begun to pull the trigger on selling all my DX gear for a K-3 II. And I'll look forward to possibly trading my full-frame Nikon gear for a full-frame Pentax, if the interface is up to my customization and control standards.

What got the ball rolling is kind of a silly story, actually- I saw a pricing error on the pentax web store that listed a K-3 II body kit and 50mm for $119.50, instead of what I assume should have been $1,195.00 or something. They unfortunately cancelled my order because "shipping is delayed" ...but either way, I'm officially selling off my APS-C Nikon gear.

On that note, has anybody heard about the actual ship date of the K-3 II? I'd love to have one in time for a trip I'm taking in a couple weeks, but that's probably a bit too soon.
Aha, well if you're a star shooter, I guess this is the camera made for you if ever there were one!

05-02-2015, 02:05 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
But the thing is, it is practically instantaneous to sell your gear now. You can chuck it on whatever website and sell it inside a week! There will always be someone who wants it and you stand to losee very little even if the company goes tits-up. Some youngster will appreciate it. Then you can buy the latest thing from brand whatever. Doesn't matter.
Yes, but there is allways a loss when you sell something off as second hand (at least if you bought it new). But I agree, it's not the end of the world.
05-02-2015, 04:34 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Again, you were not stuck with these bodies. Look at the prices they are still fetching on ebay etc. They are still good cameras! Similarly the Olympus 43 lenses are still being drooled over by many and are a good reason to get into the E-M1 system. I detect a groupthink mentality in camera gear. It's almost like football teams and I don't get it.
I opted to give my entire system to my son. As of now he's enjoying it. If he didn't want it, I would have sold the entire thing.
05-02-2015, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Selling a used item is only a loss if you received nothing from its use.

05-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Very well put. Some of the camera gear I have owned has actually been profitable. I used it for x months, then sold it at a profit. That's amazing when you think about it. Anyway, back to K-3 ii. Torn between this and E-m5 ii. Decisions, decisions...
05-02-2015, 07:57 AM - 3 Likes   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very well put. Some of the camera gear I have owned has actually been profitable. I used it for x months, then sold it at a profit. That's amazing when you think about it. Anyway, back to K-3 ii. Torn between this and E-m5 ii. Decisions, decisions...
I've never sold a photograph. I consider the time spent enjoying my hobby using my gear my return on the investment. I 'received' that enjoyment, which more than compensates for any decline of monetary value over time.

In any event, using gear for enjoyment sure beats the loss of monetary value from using beer, which has a monetary value of zero after post-processing.
05-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #52

I was talking about beeing forced to sell a lens because there are no compatible up-to-date bodies anymore compared to the case where you keep using that objective because "your" company is still there producing new cameras. I see a loss in the first scenario. Both in terms of usage (because you won't be able to fully use it as long as you planned) and finance (because the price will drop if the lens is not compatible with present and future gear anymore).

QuoteQuote:
In any event, using gear for enjoyment sure beats the loss of monetary value from using beer, which has a monetary value of zero after post-processing.
Couple of friends met got together with their wifes/husbands after a couple of beers, so you could say it has a monetary value after post-processing. A negative one!

05-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barresian Quote
I was talking about beeing forced to sell a lens because there are no compatible up-to-date bodies anymore compared to the case where you keep using that objective because "your" company is still there producing new cameras. I see a loss in the first scenario. Both in terms of usage (because you won't be able to fully use it as long as you planned) and finance (because the price will drop if the lens is not compatible with present and future gear anymore).
I see. So the fear is that your camera manufacturer will go out of business, thus leaving your lenses obsoleted.

You must mean like Minolta - errr, Sony - MC or MD mount? Or maybe Canon FD mount?

Because surely you don't mean the Nikon F-mount or Pentax K-mount would ever be abandoned by a company not going out of business.
05-02-2015, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
"Professionals" covers a fairly wide range. I wonder if we think of only news, wedding or sports photographers when we hear that word in this context. I think Ricoh is positioning Pentax for the wilderness/adventure style of professional. I doubt even Canon and Nikon can provide the sort of support to photographers deep in the desert or jungle that they can to those covering metropolitan subjects.
I've carried my Pentax gear into rough country and wild adventures since the late 70's, (although I also shoot resorts and cities, etc.), and looking back on all the Pentax 35mm, 67 and digital bodies and lenses I've used around the planet, I can honestly say we've never had it so good. This is the new golden age of Pentax for real serious shooters, and we owe a debt of thanks to Ricoh for investing and turning up the volume, and serving our visions. That's my two cents as a working pro who carries the K-3 and 645Z everywhere now, and looking forward to the new K-3IIs and eventual FF.
Off to Mexico next week to shoot beaches and ziplining and culture for my magazine markets, but hey, it's a living... Kerrick James
05-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barresian Quote
Welcome to life - or at least one way of looking at it. For an alternate perspective, take a peek at Kerrick's take on the Pentax brand in post # 54 in this thread. I'd say he's earned the right to for us to take his opinion seriously.

Last edited by cfraz; 05-02-2015 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo fixes
05-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #56

I see. So the fear is that your camera manufacturer will go out of business, thus leaving your lenses obsoleted.

You must mean like Minolta - errr, Sony - MC or MD mount? Or maybe Canon FD mount?

Because surely you don't mean the Nikon F-mount or Pentax K-mount would ever be abandoned by a company not going out of business.
I allready said that I personally don't have that fear with Pentax, but I still think that if it would happen it would be a big hit for every user of Pentax cameras who wants to stay digital. Allthough of course there would still be adapters and other solutions.
05-03-2015, 12:57 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Yes there will be solutions such as adapters but to me I found that messy. I still like to use native lenses on my camera.
05-03-2015, 01:57 AM   #58
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Find the three lenses that work for us, grab a body or two, and just go shoot
That's always been my ethos and with whatever brand I'm using at the time, this mindset has served me well over the years.
05-03-2015, 04:45 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Yes I totally agree. Get the camera and the lenses that fits your shooting style and just simply shoot pictures and enjoy yourself. You'll never go wrong.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 05-03-2015 at 04:50 AM.
05-04-2015, 02:13 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
"Special Lady” (SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2), “Sweetheart” (SMC Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4), "Lady Luck” (SMC Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8), “Gorgeous Lady” (SMC Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8) and “Duchess” (SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0)
these lens can serve you 'till eternity !! just wow to your collection of super rare Pentax lens !