Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
We're all waiting on the full frame. It is a curious strategy to tease the FF so early and then release the APS-C. Who's going to buy it? It's at least worth waiting to see what the FF will cost, and the K-3II will be cheaper in the interim.
They are different formats. Some prefer FF and other APS.....

05-13-2015, 08:53 AM - 4 Likes   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
The negative comments in Todd's review crack me up. The sad reality is that most of them are probably teenagers whose knowledge of DSLRs and photography is derived from spec sheets and forum posts. I'm keen to handle one in store.
Some of them sound like they are straight out of Pentax Forums!
05-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Some of them sound like they are straight out of Pentax Forums!
LOL
05-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If there's no OBF . . . I don't know . . . . why would I pay the money?*

* Just to be clear . . . . <sarc>

05-13-2015, 11:11 AM - 7 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

I just saw a short K-3II review in a German photo magazine. Here it will be released at 999euro, which is a good introductory price! Seems like a great camera at a great price, will be difficult to resist I think even Canikon and Sony users will have to admit that

I am surprised so many people are confused about the pixel shift technology, whining that the camera has to be on tripod, subject has to be still, and that SR cannot be used at the same time. Well, duh! Its just like HDR, only instead of dynamic range, it is resolution. Things have to be still for that. And if things have to be still, then SR is pointless anyway. Its a special function that is used for special purposes, not for your everyday photos. You can use SR for low light handheld stuff and pixel-shift for product photos, still life, maybe even abstract photography and landscapes, or you can use HDR bracketing - depending on what your needs are. But people immediately start whining that they cannot use all of those modes at the same time for every snapshot they take... Im surprised nobody whines that the astrotracer doesn't capture stars when you shoot in broad daylight...
05-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think even Canikon and Sony users will have to admit that
You want to bet?
05-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
It is a curious strategy to tease the FF so early and then release the APS-C. Who's going to buy it?
Actually I thought it a very good strategy.
  • Puts a fresh camera in the marketplace now instead of 6 months from now
  • Keeps Pentax in the trade press, good or bad, a mention is always good
  • Refreshes the k-3 which is still their bread and butter
  • Keeps the APS-C only crowd happy that they are not being left behind
  • Tests new technology that will go into the FF
  • Possibly sells a k-3Ii and a FF to a good number of folks who need a new camera now but will also buy FF
  • Sells cameras to people that might want a FF but decide to buy new now and wait to see about the FF
  • FF is going to be AT MOST 10% of sales so delivering a strong APS-C camera keeps the cash flow moving along
05-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #23
Pentaxian

. Im surprised nobody whines that the astrotracer doesn't capture stars when you shoot in broad daylight...
LOL, please don't give'em ideas

05-13-2015, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Im surprised nobody whines that the astrotracer doesn't capture stars when you shoot in broad daylight...
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
LOL, please don't give'em ideas
Why can't I do 1/78 power fill-flash to catch that foreground / border subject with my astro background?
05-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Hmmmm....Well , after reading the above posts completely....I get the feeling since "Everyone" is waiting for a FF and not APSc.....and even one with a FLASH at that....I would utterly be wasting my time and yours to do a Review of the K3II as an early adopter ? I really appreciate the heads up and wont even bother.....Thanks !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 05-14-2015 at 01:20 PM.
05-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #26
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Hmmmm....Well , after reading the above posts completely....I get the feeling since "Everyone" is waiting for a FF and not APSc.....and even one with a FLASH at that....I would utterly be wasting my time and yours to do a Review of the K3II as an early adopter ? I really appreciate the heads up and wont even bother.....Thanks !

Reality and what is said at Pentax Forums are often opposites. You have to take what is said on this site with a grain of salt.
05-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I would utterly be wasting my time and yours to do a Review of the K3II as an early adopter ?
plenty of people would lke to read reviews, I'm sure.
05-16-2015, 10:39 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Actually I thought it a very good strategy.
  • Puts a fresh camera in the marketplace now instead of 6 months from now
  • Keeps Pentax in the trade press, good or bad, a mention is always good
  • Refreshes the k-3 which is still their bread and butter
  • Keeps the APS-C only crowd happy that they are not being left behind
  • Tests new technology that will go into the FF
  • Possibly sells a k-3Ii and a FF to a good number of folks who need a new camera now but will also buy FF
  • Sells cameras to people that might want a FF but decide to buy new now and wait to see about the FF
  • FF is going to be AT MOST 10% of sales so delivering a strong APS-C camera keeps the cash flow moving along
I certainly have no problem with Pentax doing both. I frequently plop my camera on a tripod and try to get
a nice high resolution shot often with a long piece of glass the K3-II seems like it is really something that
I'm looking for. --- I can pick up the enhance resolution without going to a bigger sensor, and forfeiting
the long lens advantage of half frame.

I'd really like to know if it will produce a better image than the one that follows.

While I intend to buy a FF when they finally show up but that will require a bit different optical hardware
05-17-2015, 03:14 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I certainly have no problem with Pentax doing both. I frequently plop my camera on a tripod and try to get
a nice high resolution shot often with a long piece of glass the K3-II seems like it is really something that
I'm looking for. --- I can pick up the enhance resolution without going to a bigger sensor, and forfeiting
the long lens advantage of half frame.

I'd really like to know if it will produce a better image than the one that follows.

While I intend to buy a FF when they finally show up but that will require a bit different optical hardware
I think the big question is whether Pentax (or Sony) has tweaked the sensor at all to get better image quality. If so, probably the biggest improvement (based on the D7200) would be better dynamic range throughout the iso ranges. But I wonder if Nikon is messing with their RAW files somehow to make them look so good to DXO Mark.

Still, I think the K3 II is not really for folks who already own a K3 -- unless they need better auto focus. Seems more targeted at K30/50/5/5 II folks who just haven't upgraded yet.
05-17-2015, 07:16 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the K3 II is not really for folks who already own a K3 -- unless they need better auto focus. Seems more targeted at K30/50/5/5 II folks who just haven't upgraded yet.
Please don't tell my K3 and two K30's that ....They are going to get nervous !.....lol.
I need to go find my "Salt".......I think there is gonna be some fresh wounds to rub it in around here !...ROFLOL.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 05-17-2015 at 07:22 AM.