Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 08:46 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If the DC motor failed, would the 18-135 work via screwdrive?
Like others said it's not an option but I also have not heard of a single Pentax DC motor failure so I think that tech is a lot more reliable than SDM ever was.

06-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It doesn't stop them from being wrong, or people wouldn't be rushing to deliberately cripple certain lenses and force reversion to the tried and true. There is not, and never has been, anything wrong with the belt-and-braces approach. If anything, Pentax needs to provide a software/firmware switch to allow reversion on command.
I have had situations where the screw drive was scaring away the small birds I was trying to photograph, and once in a group, I was actually asked to stop using my F70-210, because it wasn't just me. It was ruining every one's shooting experience. And there is a way of switching, turn the AF/MF switch to manual and you're good to go. Anything I can do with my A-400 you can do with any Pentax lens switched to MF.
06-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #48
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by realitarian Quote
Thanks for all your responses. Still new to the Pentax world (almost exactly 1 year), sorry to create a stir. Yes, I talked to the Pentax Webstore and they confirmed - I just assumed that was the same as RICOH. I suppose not.
The web store is also operated by a third party

Congrats on the purchase- sounds like a good deal!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
So long as it maintains the use of screw drive, I might one day consider it. If it goes over to an internal motor, Ricoh will have proved that they are idiots.
In 1995, I switched from Pentax to Canon, because I liked the Canon AF system, powered by a motor in the lens. Last December I bought a Pentax Q7, and I am very satisfied with its in-lens focus motors. Recently I bought a used-like-new K-30, because I liked the colors, the WR, and the current sensors are ahead of what Canon is doing. I still dislike the screw drive; it is the only focusing system I've ever had that calls attention to itself while it runs!

06-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In 1995, I switched from Pentax to Canon, because I liked the Canon AF system, powered by a motor in the lens. Last December I bought a Pentax Q7, and I am very satisfied with its in-lens focus motors. Recently I bought a used-like-new K-30, because I liked the colors, the WR, and the current sensors are ahead of what Canon is doing. I still dislike the screw drive; it is the only focusing system I've ever had that calls attention to itself while it runs!
Pentax has sdm and dc lenses you know
06-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Pentax has sdm and dc lenses you know
Yes, but as long as the screw drive is viewed as being essential to Pentax, my personal opinion is that Pentax has a problems, (and right now my personal issue is figuring out how to quiet down my system without spending more much more on my lens than I spent on my camera).
06-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, but as long as the screw drive is viewed as being essential to Pentax, my personal opinion is that Pentax has a problems, (and right now my personal issue is figuring out how to quiet down my system without spending more much more on my lens than I spent on my camera).
Keep in mind that in general, nice lenses cost considerably more than the cameras they are made for.

06-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Keep in mind that in general, nice lenses cost considerably more than the cameras they are made for.
Yes, but this is the first time I've had to spend that much to have a truly good system, and my dilemma still dramatizes the fact that, unlike Canikon, Pentax doesn't have any inexpensive lenses with built-in motors. Yes, I knew that when I bid on a K-30, but I still personally view that as a weakness of their system, and I still think it is ironic that the sometimes-maligned Q-family nice lenses at a lower price level.
06-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Yes, but this is the first time I've had to spend that much to have a truly good system, and my dilemma still dramatizes the fact that, unlike Canikon, Pentax doesn't have any inexpensive lenses with built-in motors. Yes, I knew that when I bid on a K-30, but I still personally view that as a weakness of their system, and I still think it is ironic that the sometimes-maligned Q-family nice lenses at a lower price level.
The day Pentax ditches the screw drive is the day I ditch Pentax. You should Buy Canon and stop trying to lobby to destroy MY brand.
06-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The screw drive is noisier on some bodies than on others, and it's obviously less obtrusive on the smaller lenses with shorter focus throws than otherwise. Pentax bodies retain the screw drive for backward compatibility. If they dropped it, they would have a bigger problem than you think they have now. It's pretty clear to me that they're slowly adopting DC drives over the range. Changing all their existing lineup in a short space of time would not make economic sense, and having a silent drive in all their lenses would not make a compelling sales point for the majority of buyers. It's in most of the ones where it's critical for the user.
06-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Just curious... what's your threshold for inexpensive? Thx.
06-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #57
Pentaxian

I've seen one of those cheap Canon lenses fall apart after a very small drop, so ya, you have one, until you don't. Then you have nothing.

If memory serves me well the new Pentax DA 18-50 is WR and DC, so if you want cheap, there you go. I imagine it won't be long before one comes up in the market place. With an average price of $110 it should be just what you want.
06-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The day Pentax ditches the screw drive is the day I ditch Pentax. You should Buy Canon and stop trying to lobby to destroy MY brand.
I'm not trying to destroy any brand. I just returned to Pentax, remember! I said that overall, Pentax is better than Canon, remember! but I believe that Pentax will have to switch over to DC completely, for all their lenses, if they want to compete effectively with Canikon.

---------- Post added 06-22-15 at 06:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've seen one of those cheap Canon lenses fall apart after a very small drop, so ya, you have one, until you don't. Then you have nothing.
I had three Canon camera bodies during the period 1995-2015; two of them broke on me (and sudden death of the most recent one was what caused my "emergency" that caused me to buy the K-30 rather than waiting for K-S2 prices to come down). I never had a lens die on me (although I did manage to lose the kit lens from the first camera - an embarrassing story that consisted of my not fastening my camera bag after changing lenses, tripping over a root, and seeing the lens go rolling down the hill to oblivion; hopefully some rodent found a good use of it)

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If memory serves me well the new Pentax DA 18-50 is WR and DC, so if you want cheap, there you go. I imagine it won't be long before one comes up in the market place. With an average price of $110 it should be just what you want.
Thank you, that will be something for me to watch for.

---------- Post added 06-22-15 at 06:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Just curious... what's your threshold for inexpensive? Thx.
Maybe $200; but the 18-135mm wouldn't have to drop much more to become a candidate (except for the fact that my wallet is seriously flat after buying the K-30 and some gardening equipment)

Last edited by reh321; 06-22-2015 at 04:00 PM. Reason: add to the thought
06-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cameras are mechanical devices with all sorts of moving parts operated by all sorts of motors, gears, and springs. All these bits and pieces have one final destiny : failure. Everything wears out. It may take a while but it will. Cameras are disposable and consumable items. Use them for your profession and your entertainment. Maybe you will consume one camera. Maybe you'll pass it on to someone else before it is fully consumed. Screwdrive vs. DC motor vs. whatever is all the same from that point of view. Ricoh will do what it thinks is practical for the overall K-mount ecosystem. They know how many screwdrive lenses are out there and being used. That information is very easy to find. As that number goes down and the alternate systems rise in popularity we may see the screwdrive system fade one day. I don think that will happen tomorrow or next week, though. So enjoy that DA 50mm as much as the DA 18-135.
06-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #60
Pentaxian

I have one. Great lens. Seems very sharp. No complaints except for a little lens creep and this is no big deal for me.