Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2015, 04:25 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weird that Canada won't be getting theirs until the end of the week (at least that's what my Ricoh rep said today). We usually beat the US by a few days... "May 2015" my foot!

05-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I am very aware of this
I mean the K-3 familly, K-3 II is not a replacement of K-3.
So you believe they will continue to manufacture more K-3 classics now that the K-3 II is out?

---------- Post added 05-26-15 at 07:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Weird that Canada won't be getting theirs until the end of the week (at least that's what my Ricoh rep said today). We usually beat the US by a few days... "May 2015" my foot!
End of this current week we are in is the 30th.. so they are still correct.
05-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Henry's shipped my k3ii last week and it arrived yesterday so some places in Canada are getting it early.
05-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #19

I had one on order at Amazon and it said it was due to ship on the 25th. I emailed a rep when it didn't ship out today, and they said they were on backorder for 1-2 months now. Put my pre-order in on the 5th! Ended up canceling that and putting on in at B&H. Hopefully they get enough stock! I have a bunch of events coming up that I'd love to have two bodies for and I need some time to get used to a new body.

05-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
Pentax has what, a 2% market share? A substantial number of Pentaxians currently using anything from a K-5 to K-3 are waiting for the FF. Some of those cameras will be sold to pay for the FF. When unit sales are so low with a brand like Pentax, 500 K-3 cameras being dumped on the market will quickly drop the price. If even 20 go on ebay you will see the price significantly drop.
You are assuming most Pentax users currently have k-3 will dump it for the FF.... I wouldn't be so sure. I would still keep the k-3 even if I buy a new FF, so I am not part of your statistics.

Sorry, correction: yes, some may sell, but I don't think many will abandon APS-C entirely.
05-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
Pentax has what, a 2% market share? A substantial number of Pentaxians currently using anything from a K-5 to K-3 are waiting for the FF. Some of those cameras will be sold to pay for the FF. When unit sales are so low with a brand like Pentax, 500 K-3 cameras being dumped on the market will quickly drop the price. If even 20 go on ebay you will see the price significantly drop.
Maybe people with money behave differently than the rest of us do (I'm not sure that I will ever find room in my budget for any full-frame camera). When I get a new camera, I always save my current camera to backup the new one. However, recently I noticed a K-5 for sale on eBay by a professional who uses two cameras; he had a K-3ii on order, so his current primary K-3 was being moved down to secondary, his current secondary K-5ii was moving down to backup, and that is why he was selling his current backup K-5. With that kind of logic, predicting what hits the market when may be a tad more complicated, and their effect on prices could be even more complicated - I've noticed on eBay that K-30 prices are almost the same as K-50 prices.
05-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Guys, I am NOT suggesting everyone will dump their old cameras, just that SOME people will. Pentax has a 2% market share, so even 20 cameras hitting ebay at once will drop prices for those who need or want to sell quickly. I imagine over 100 will be sold there.

I am not surprised at the new price announced today for the K-3 with the grip at $749 ( Pentax K-3 + Grip Drops to $749 - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com ). For old guys like me, the electronic age seemingly moves quickly with quality items becoming obsolete in just a few years. Moore's Law does not apply to camera sensors, but to me it is the same idea. They improve very quickly and the old stuff, which still works well, becomes unwanted and goes down in price.

Note well: If the K-3 is selling new for $749 including the grip, a used one with a decent shutter count should be selling used for around $500. Why? The grip is worth over $100 and the used camera lost some of its value (a $150 loss in value is reasonable). The prices will only get better when the FF comes out. For the record, I am still happy with my K-5, yet will upgrade to something after I see the price on the FF. If I can afford it (I do not need it), fine. If not, I'll try to steal a K-3 at a great price or simply pay up for the K-3ii.

With Pentax, we are all getting more for the money spent. New or used, the cameras are a good deal.

Last edited by quant2325; 05-27-2015 at 02:59 PM.
05-28-2015, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

Okay, it's May 28.

* drums fingers impatiently *