Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2015, 09:12 PM   #1

Ricoh GR marked as Discontinued in Adorama

Adorama says Ricoh GR "is no longer available".
In BH is still in stock.

Waiting fot the imminent replacement.

Ricoh GR Pocket-Size Compact Digital Camera - Bund 175743 B

05-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vemobydam Quote
Adorama says Ricoh GR "is no longer available".
In BH is still in stock.

Waiting fot the imminent replacement.

Ricoh GR Pocket-Size Compact Digital Camera - Bund 175743 B
Should be out soon!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2015, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #3

I bought the current model six months ago and it blew me away. To say I love the camera is a huge understatement. The next model only needs evolution in the form of better AF. SR would be nice, but I can live without it. 24MP? Sure, why not (blur is only pixel relative: at the same print size, blur is the same as 16MP). Better high ISO, OK!

I shot 40% of the images from two key portfolios (here and here) on the GR having taken it along 'for fun'. It turns out that in 50mph winds, sleet, snow and hail it is a much more practical camera than just about anything else out there, because IQ is second to none and it slips into a parka pocket where it lived for ten days.

I'll find it hard not to buy the next model. All they have to do now is offer it with a 28mm equivalent and also another version with a 40-45mm equivalent), I'll buy two and probably never shoot a Leica again....
05-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe the next model will have a retractable zoom lens. Then it can begin to take on the Sony RX100 lines.

05-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

This would definitely NOT be a GR.
But an other product line.
05-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Indeed. A GX though would be possible but I don't expect a GX to replace a GR. GR is and will remain the main camera.
05-31-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It will have the same accessories. So dont expect too many changes..on the outside at least.

05-31-2015, 10:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

** drool **
05-31-2015, 11:20 PM   #9

For me, a zoom would destroy the concept of the GR entirely. For those who have never used a GR or worked with the files, you probably have no conception of just how well that lens/sensor combo performs. I say this not to be condescending, but in acknowledgement that the hype did not prepare me for the results when I got mine!

I have a fully Leica Monochrom outfit and all sorts of L glass and the files from the GR still leave my jaw on the floor. It is this - the absolutely perfect execution of 28mm (equivalent) in a tiny package made for street shooting - that is its selling point and I hope it is the foundation for the next model. That said, my ideal single focal length (if I must pick one) for the next model, would be the equivalent of 31mm! I love 28 and 35mm so something in the middle would be my Goldilocks (assuming I cannot have two lens variants)!
06-01-2015, 01:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by batmobile Quote
For me, a zoom would destroy the concept of the GR entirely. For those who have never used a GR or worked with the files, you probably have no conception of just how well that lens/sensor combo performs. I say this not to be condescending, but in acknowledgement that the hype did not prepare me for the results when I got mine!

I have a fully Leica Monochrom outfit and all sorts of L glass and the files from the GR still leave my jaw on the floor. It is this - the absolutely perfect execution of 28mm (equivalent) in a tiny package made for street shooting - that is its selling point and I hope it is the foundation for the next model. That said, my ideal single focal length (if I must pick one) for the next model, would be the equivalent of 31mm! I love 28 and 35mm so something in the middle would be my Goldilocks (assuming I cannot have two lens variants)!
I'm not that much surprised. Agreed about the zoom hence the GX comment (which is indeed a line Ricoh did pursue before).
A VF, or rather EVF-able GR (accessory in hotshoe) like GXR would probably decide me to get one (but not early, way too expensive for me).
Proper glass VF is a possibility too but good ones aren't that far from EVF ones. If the EVF is good and priced OK, I'll get one.
06-01-2015, 01:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
It will have the same accessories. So dont expect too many changes..on the outside at least.
So the real question is just about sensor / resolution, and hopefully AF improvement
06-01-2015, 01:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

So the real question is just about sensor / resolution, and hopefully AF improvement
Yes..dont know all details yet, but most likely there you will see the changes
06-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Or maybe just a new grip....

06-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Or maybe just a new grip....
Whatever if the current one goes down
06-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Actually, if Ricoh could swing two product lines, a GR *and* a GX then I would be mightily impressed!