Yes, a retro type - something like the digital version of the MZ-5 3435.79%
No, such a low end model is meaningless to me. 1010.53%
No, Pentax should use all her resources to make a Pro model instead. 4143.16%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you realize how many people actually hate live-view? Are you even aware of the benefits that a viewfinder offers? People don't by SLR's just to be able to change lenses.

06-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
they would be hooked to Pentax since they will probably have 2 or 3 K mount lenses already, that would like to keep using.

um... is that 2 or 3 K in dollars or as in 2-3,000 lenses? I wouldn't put either as inconceivable with the crew here...
06-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #18
Forum Member

The version of k1000d I'd buy instantly:
- bombproof body
- 8 or 10 MP cmos sensor for high iso capability
- good af performance (even if it have only a center af point)
- a good pentaprism viewfinder
06-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
Pentaxian

But then this is a Pentax forum, and most of us have already bought our pentax camera/s. And most of us would only have 1 body, so most of us surely wouldn't want to downgrade?

06-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Do you realize how many people actually hate live-view? Are you even aware of the benefits that a viewfinder offers? People don't by SLR's just to be able to change lenses.
I think it's funny - I wonder what the people that look at ground glass for a living think of live view - the people that do large format and waist level medium format. Isn't that a live view, I wonder what the fps is??? I think you could make it extremely useful. You could have a variety of "virtual" focusing screens (grid, scale, ...), do a DOF Preview in live view without squinting by boosting the signal levels or really do away with looking through the lens wide open and truly look at the image with the set aperture and have the live view adjust its brightness. A DOF View all the time. There are a lot of possibilities not thought of. But, as of right now the only advantage I can see to current live view systems is zooming in to fine focus, other than that it's just a mock-up of a p&S. It's a real shame it could be utilitzed much more than being a parlor trick.

-Brian
06-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #21

Pentax Needs a TRUE Pro Camera

While it is cool in concept to bring the K1000 back as a digital retro thing, it is not a practical business move. I can see Pentax running a very limited anniversary release of a digital K1000 as a stunt toward introducing a killer pro system that is aimed directly at the very top of the line offerings from Canon or Nikon. The K10D / K20D weren't that far away from being world class pro cameras, so it really isn't that big a stretch for Pentax to take those last few steps. As it is there are some people out there happily using the Pentax K10D as a pro system. WAKE UP PENTAX! There are many of us that continue to believe in you!
06-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

JPG only would be a waste.

All I want is a camera as small and light as the K1000 in digital form. Single-point AF and P mode is enough... even the K100D is bulky for casual carrying.

06-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

While an 'MX-D' or 'MZ-5D' has certain appeal, the K10D is already on the no-nonsense side of the D-SLR formula. What it isn't is compact/light. I suspect that there are more than a few of us here (me included) who would be interested in a more compact but professional body (like MX) to mount our limited primes on. It should be tough and have the essentials, including a big, bright viewfinder. Kind of like an updated *ist D.

I don't see the aperture ring or support for it coming back, ever. I suppose one could put an e-dial around the lens mount but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

For the sake of simplicity of operation (you could drop several settings and controls right there), I can see possibly going back to a single AF point but this might be market suicide.

I think many of us have a sense of nostalgia for the classic look & feel but in truth I'm guessing an old-style body would get slammed for ergonomics. The current smaller Oly bodies like E-410 are the closest in styling as they don't have particularly deep hand grips.

I had been thinking about entry-level D-SLRs recently as a couple of family members had been in the market and while initially I was thinking that the K200D is perhaps slightly pricey and that there are good reasons that the Nikon D40 has been a smash hit--but at second glance, the K200D is really a great design (though I wish they had one with a pentaprism viewfinder!). Completely full-featured, barely anything withheld. Yes, it's a little bulkier, but maybe it is the perfect size--the tinier ones are somewhat less comfortable for male hands.
06-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote

All I want is a camera as small and light as the K1000 in digital form. Single-point AF and P mode is enough... even the K100D is bulky for casual carrying.
K1000 is not small, neither is light! You must be talking about MX!
06-12-2008, 03:45 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

JPEG-only is crap I agree.

One sensor AF is suicide. Let's say 3 or 5 AF sensors only but speedy !

A retro-stly camera OK if it is a Limited or something like that. If it is supposed to be a lower end camera, it will NOT sell. People buying into low end never hold an old SLR anyway. It won't talk to them.

A middle/high end however might swing some nostalgic guys from Canon/Nikon/Sony/Oly indeed.
06-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
um... is that 2 or 3 K in dollars or as in 2-3,000 lenses? I wouldn't put either as inconceivable with the crew here...
Sorry for the confusion. I meant "2 or 3 K mount lenses" as in "two or three PENTAX K MOUNT LENSES".

RB
06-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Canon has made an answer to the Nikon D60, the EOS 1000D. Both DSLRs are the most basic, lightweight, and compact entry level DSLR models that are selling cheapest.

What's Pentax's offer in this segment? A K200D? (which is bigger and heavier and are being asked for more as well)

Should Pentax make a K1000D? What do you think?

My K1000D anyway:- RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: My Idea of a K1000D

Well, to make it cool, Pentax can re-introduce the retro concept of the MZ-5. Maybe a miracle, which can suddenly save Pentax, will happen again!
Do you have a picture? I like the name but with out the picture I don't know. did you know that mamyia and phase one merged.
06-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I say yes: I've been dreaming of an ist D series II for quiet some time now, but the thing you describe comes in close...

The only thing I don't agree of is the sensor: the 10 MPix Sony is not up to the tasks. Better would be to kidnap the wife of Fujifilms CEO and ask the 6 MPix Super CCD as ransom...

Your idea is not new RH. Sometime ago I started a thread like that myself: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/22983-your-weekly-k1000-thread.html
06-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #29
Forum Member

Limited Model LXD

While I think a low end K1000D is needed to draw in the crowds, I'd like to see an LXD, a digital version of the LX. It would need dual control wheels, but should be small and high quality to match the limited lenses. Not high FPS, accurate focussing, 14Mp, preferably TTL and PTTL flash. If it could take the LX viewfinders that would be excellent.

I can dream!

Nick
06-14-2008, 02:58 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I'm one of the people whom will never use live view again. I tried it with Point and shoots, and that's the #1 reason why I moved to DSLR's.

Why even bother with JPG
I understand that all RAW files already contain JPG's, and a simple software program can easily extract them.
If the software developers design the program right most people would never even know the difference, but the people whom like to spend their time editing will have all RAW features at their fingertips.