Yes, a retro type - something like the digital version of the MZ-5 3435.79%
No, such a low end model is meaningless to me. 1010.53%
No, Pentax should use all her resources to make a Pro model instead. 4143.16%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Do you want to see a K1000D?

Canon has made an answer to the Nikon D60, the EOS 1000D. Both DSLRs are the most basic, lightweight, and compact entry level DSLR models that are selling cheapest.

What's Pentax's offer in this segment? A K200D? (which is bigger and heavier and are being asked for more as well)

Should Pentax make a K1000D? What do you think?

My K1000D anyway:- RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: My Idea of a K1000D

Well, to make it cool, Pentax can re-introduce the retro concept of the MZ-5. Maybe a miracle, which can suddenly save Pentax, will happen again!

06-11-2008, 06:44 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
mmmm, retro style DSLR that would be soooo cool!!!
06-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That would be interesting. A digital SLR that can use every single Pentax Lens ever made, including Pre A series and screwmounts.

Such camera will no doubt lure newcomers into Pentax, given a fair intro price and considering the large inventory of used lenses out there, and when this newcomers start looking for something "more advanced", they would be hooked to Pentax since they will probably have 2 or 3 K mount lenses already, that would like to keep using.

Basic specs would be:

10 megapix
30 sec to 1/2000 plus B speeds.
Program, Av, Tv and green mode.
1/180 sync and NO BUILT IN FLASH, but capable of using ANY manual or auto flash such as Vivitar 283.
2 fps
Single AF sensor in the middle (to reduce costs)
Full AF capable with AF lenses
Full use of aperture ring without special function programming.
File type, just JPG high quality, and capable of 10, 6, 3, 1, 1024x768 megapix
Of course, AA batteries.
Enough weathersealing to make the camera "realiable" under medium harsh conditions.
Metering: Center weighted plus spot, forget about matrix

Body price under $450. Kit under $550.

If such an animal comes out, I will definetaly buy one, as back up body.

Pentax... are you listening?
06-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would be interested only if is something really new, not a feature-stripped-down K200D, like the new Canon 1000 seemes to be, in regard to the 400D.

For me, it should be a mirror-and-viewfinder-less camera, only liveview, contrast-detect AF, very compact. Basically a sensor to attach to any K mount lens.

06-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I would be interested only if is something really new, not a feature-stripped-down K200D, like the new Canon 1000 seemes to be, in regard to the 400D.

For me, it should be a mirror-and-viewfinder-less camera, only liveview, contrast-detect AF, very compact. Basically a sensor to attach to any K mount lens.
i think that this is a very bad idea, there are thousands of compact model out there pentax is and was a serious name in the market. second worst is the one with no built-in flash.

anyway, it's probably meaningless to me, i'm selling all my pentax stuff tomorrow, excluding the AF360, couldn't find a client for it.

ciao.
06-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

1 and 4

Pentax should do the best not to loose very huge part of DSLR sector.
And it must build "K-One-Digital"
06-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

They should build the pro model AND the lower spec'd one.
06-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm not a sentimentalist for the K1000D moniker. The K1000 was cheap and utilitarian.

The reason why Pentax was in dire financial straits was because it produced a string of cheap and crappy 35mm film cameras that few consumers wanted and were flops in the marketplace.

I for one don't want to see Pentax go down this path again. All modern DSLRs now are multi-mode cameras with feature sets that few film cameras in the past ever had. The current crop of DSLRs already cater to the newbie with a rudimentary understanding of photography to the advanced amateur.

So the need for a dumbed down, feature devoid, new Pentax camera seems like a recipe for failure.

06-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

While I agree that the K1000 was "utilitarian" when it came out, it was far from "cheap". It was a "K mount Spotmatic" to name it what it really was. But with the years to come, it proved to be the "Volkswagen" of all SLR's ever made. Not as in "cheap" but as in "reliable".

One of the very few cameras that could work flawlessly without a battery (minus light meter of course). And the prime choice as recomendation (still today) for almost every photography school around the world.

Of course, the K1000 had no bells or whisltes, but it was a very reliable, trustworthy tool for anyone LEARNING photography.

I pisses me off when I see photo students hauling N, C and even P gear, and never care about using them in full manual mode. I honestly think that the Program mode, as well as any auto mode (aperture or shutter) makes people lazy.

Back in the old days, we had to THINK on what we are doing with the camera. We were forced to produce the results we wanted. Today, its more of a "gadget race" and the gear, which has been always cosidered as a "tool" for achieving a purpose, has turned into the main purpose.

Yes, I do have an ist*D, a K20D, a PZ1P and believe it or not, any of those rarely see the program or auto mode.
06-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Digital Auto 110

I want a digital version of the Pentax Auto 110 that can rival the performance of the Canon G9.
A micro-DSLR with interchangeable lenses. Now that I will buy!
06-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I want a digital version of the Pentax Auto 110 that can rival the performance of the Canon G9.
A micro-DSLR with interchangeable lenses. Now that I will buy!
I would prefer a DSLR the same size as an MX. I know its not really viable and I know pentax isnt going to make it but a DSLR MX would be awesome. not auto or program modes just an LCD on top & scroll wheels for shutter,aperture, and ASA selection. that would just be bitchin' I could get the same feeling as using my MX without having to pay for film.
06-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I say no. With C&N, and even Sony and Olympus, bringing out so many models, it's starting to look like the P&S market, with 15 models each $50 apart. Necomers will not be lured by such dumbed down models; all they are usually interested in is big numbered specs they don't even understand. I don't see the majority of them paying 3x-4x the price for a camera with less features than even the most basic P&S. Experienced users would be more inclined to try something like this if the price was cheap enough, but $500 seems steep to me. I too like those specs you've listed...for a second body. But if I want a basic camera, I want a basic price, not just a few bucks less than what I paid for the one I already have with all of the features. Give me that camera at a starting price of $300 (and with an old time body style), and I'm in.
06-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The cost of the k200d isn't too far off the mark of "entry level" (seems right on actually) as it is. And whether it comes to pass or not, I'm hoping for something above the k20d.
06-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Pentax digital line for the past and current generation has been about filling gaps, not direct competitions. So I would vote no, spend that time making products that will convince people to switch over, not make people think you're a canikon wannabe.
06-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, I think it would intersting if Pentax would introduce an entry-level that could change the way people look at dSLRs. I somewhat think it's funny that the newest camera is a mock-up of an older film based camera - the mirror, the viewfinder, the shutter - none of these things are needed anymore in the digital age. Make a camera that supports the legacy lenses, has no mirror, no view finder (constant live-view), and no shutter (just pop a reading from the sensor over a set time)... Pretty much make a P&S that has interchangable lenses and an APS-C sensor... Simple, cheap and able to take great pictures.

-Brian