Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #406
Veteran Member

Have we been had? It's already 5:00 am Tuesday in Tokyo.

06-08-2015, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #407
Pentaxian

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The new Asahi Pentax
Of course, that's where Asahi beer comes from in the first place. But until now, they never publicly sold these cameras.

And it makes sense! I mean, look at the announcement:

QuoteQuote:
A technology that enables photographers to create images like never before, only limited by their imagination.
Need I say more?

And in case you read this:

QuoteQuote:
This is about sharpness, resolution, speed, fidelity, and so much more.
You will believe your images are sharper, everything will seem to go faster, and you will believe the colors are accurate!
06-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #408
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
According to the janitor at the restaurant at lunch today, his next door neighbors niece has a friend that knows somebody that has a camera and according to her, Ricoh will be abandoning the digital format and will be bringing out an entirely new line of analog 35mm and medium format cameras. They have also purchased the rights from Kodak and will reintroduce Kodachrome film. The new film will develop 'in camera' and will be viewable almost instantly through a small window on the back of the camera so that photographers can check their shots and reshoot if necessary. The film and camera will have a patented sprocket configuration that only allows its use in the new Pentax line of cameras.
06-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #409
Forum Member

I can bet that i know what it is:

curved full frame sensor made by Sony and implemented by Pentax.

More details here: Sony patent shows off curved, full-frame sensor and accompanying lenses

I dont know it for sure but for me this is REAL game changer.

06-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #410
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Do we know it's Pentax-related at all? Maybe this guy has gone to the dark side...
I have no clue..since no one of my contacts know anything either We'll know soon anyway
06-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #411
Pentaxian

Some other thoughts:
- Digital ME Super? (I think I'd like that)
- SR mechanism for the AF array? (maybe I'd like that even more)
- A new mirrorless mount? (hmm... not sure I'd like that)
- The idea that, from now on, we don't have to expect planned announcements to actually take place?
06-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
I can bet that i know what it is:

curved full frame sensor made by Sony and implemented by Pentax.

More details here: Sony patent shows off curved, full-frame sensor and accompanying lenses

I dont know it for sure but for me this is REAL game changer.
Isn't this tech more suitable for fixed lens cameras? You certainly can't mount your old lenses... and the curvature IIRC depends on the lens you want to mount. I hope this isn't it.
06-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #413
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The dreaded announcement... Ricoh decides they are going to change mount types on all new cameras, going forward! I would probably cry.

06-08-2015, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #414
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It really doesn't appear to me that this announcement has anything to do with Ricoh / Pentax specifically. If you investigate the tags that Alex Munoz uses to promote this it includes other camera makers. If you look at his blog and instagram you'll find other clues that it involves basically ALL camera brands (DSLR and Medium Format - he mentions Pentax, PhaseOne & Hasselblad for MF). I think this has more to do with some Photoshop-related thing that he has come up with - or possibly CaptureOne. Also the language he uses about "Create" rather then "Capture" seems to indicate a post-processing approach to image making.

Basically all of these pages and pages of "excitement" are great for Alex and Adam/PentaxForums because they show that they know how to build anticipation/excitement. But this also holds a great risk for disappointment when the announcement doesn't come close to any of the speculation, particularly about being a specifically Pentax/Ricoh service.
06-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #415
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyCorPhotography Quote
The dreaded announcement... Ricoh decides they are going to change mount types on all new cameras, going forward! I would probably cry.
THAT can i guarantee 100% won't happen
06-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #416
Pentaxian

The hours - minutes tick away. Will there be a lot of disappointed people - perhaps demonstrations on the scale of World Cup Soccer riots?
06-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #417
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
New Pentax LS 645 lenses would be great, but again not really new. Updating the old line-up. It might be a big deal to a very small number of people.

They need to improve tethering first. Develop their own studio software. Maybe buy Silkypix and use that as a starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_iyFF_qlBs
I'd prefer if they create an API that can be accessed via USB (use a normal cable, like Type C! It could also be used to charge the battery/operate the camera) and WiFi. Let people who know about software do the work. Let people be creative about what the camera can do... use the API to extend functionality.
06-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #418
Pentaxian

What I'd also really like: better quality control for their lenses. Something like Sigma is doing with their A1 testing rig.

I know it's boring, but having gone through some not-so-great samples, I know how much of a difference it can make.

edit: but if this really "changes everything", then maybe we can expect new lenses with this: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0173425621/flat-elements-developed-by-harva...ter-and-better.

Or it's the fullframe camera.

Or, or....

I really have to stop now.

Last edited by starbase218; 06-08-2015 at 01:45 PM.
06-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #419

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The hours - minutes tick away. Will there be a lot of disappointed people - perhaps demonstrations on the scale of World Cup Soccer riots?
If so, the Pentax Ultras certainly won't be happy. :P
06-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #420
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear Adam it is time !