Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #706
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
It's funny that a fully pro lighting system that is marketed towards the more advanced users is being scoffed at. I figure when the FF comes out and its a $3000 camera we will see similar bellyaching.
Oh that pricetag is just about right to justify this flash system along it..................But boy how much complains can you expect on that........

06-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #707
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Oh that pricetag is just about right to justify this flash system along it..................But boy how much complains can you expect on that........
about a 50 page thread of people going "oh no, too much money, pentax is doomed, I'm switching to Canikony" and then 10 of us jumping for joy?
06-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #708

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I'm thinking of the longer duration flash like what I think this does. But you are right that with current available power it would probably just dim like HSS does. So the electronics and battery would also need some new development. Just pondering what the trickle down might be.
Ah I got ya; longer flash duration over the entire shutter traverse.

I wasn't thinking that way originally because I associate pro lights with increasingly shorter flash durations.

But this makes more sense for what they are saying. I just did a test outdoors between 1/180 and 1/8000 with my 360, since I don't use HSS much, but will need it in a couple of weeks. While the 1/180 and 1/250th are about the same, power drops after that. 1/500 is only a little underexposed, but by 1/8000 it's practically a black frame (ISO 100, f/5.6).
06-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #709
Site Supporter

about a 50 page thread of people going "oh no, too much money, pentax is doomed, I'm switching to Canikony" and then 10 of us jumping for joy?
Ricoh is leading Pentax through elitism.

06-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #710
Pentaxian

No, I'm not switching.
Pentax is not doomed.
Yes, it is too much money and much too large for me.
So the whole thing turned out to be a yawner waste of time for me.
06-09-2015, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #711
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Ron, if you can wait you can get the FF from Romania, in the last week of May, with a nice discount Way below $3000, I guarantee it.
Having leftover money would make buying the lights a bit easier.
06-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #712
Pentaxian

The HSS tech in this announcement is available to K3 users as well. and I suspect K5, K30, Ks2, etc as I figure it's just a remote that uses reverse engineered tech from the 540 flash head. So this does affect you if your a flash user.
As I recall it was stated this system will work with any of the Pentax bodies that support HSS.
06-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #713
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
As I recall it was stated this system will work with any of the Pentax bodies that support HSS.
that's what I assumed too

06-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #714
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

A company doesn't do itself any favors by over-selling something small. It opens itself up to 'well, that was a let down' responses and mutes the effectiveness of a *real* ground-shaker next time.

As far as I can tell, Ricoh had nothing at all to do with the announcement. Adam's provocative National Enquire-esq thread title and his purposeful obfuscation* of the source of this product announcement didn't help matters, admittedly.

Your point is taken, even if the target is misplaced. In this case, PF surely didn't do any favors for Ricoh.

That said, I think the strobe system may be useful for Pentaxians and deserves highlighting by PF.

* I don't believe for a second Adam's earlier assertion that he thought this was an official Ricoh announcement until after the fact.
06-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #715
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
My issue is with the size and cost - neither fits into my life.
06-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #716
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Ricoh is leading Pentax through elitism.
Or rather through profitability. I like dealing with companies who are in the business.

Ricoh knows how to sell and service business customers, obviously since I see their stuff all over the place. The 645z is that business, with the same demands and service requirements. They also have close ties with other businesses to complete their offerings.

This is a very tidy way of filling an obvious hole quickly and effectively. I don't want one, but I don't shoot professionally, nor would want to haul such a thing around. But It wasn't made for me either. The long zoom was. And they probably will get my money for that in the future.
06-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #717
Emperor and Senpai

TBH I didn't even care about the money, it is more that this is of no use for me at all for the type of shooting I do, have done, and plan to do. I'll still stay with Pentax, but I am disappointed. I was hoping for extended dynamic range, super low light capabilities with low noise, handheld super resolution or HDR or something like that.
06-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #718
Site Supporter

<-- This guy is holding out for unicorns.
06-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #719
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The problem lies in the disparity between the tone of the announcement and the number of people it will actually affect.

We're not talking about aps-c numbers, or even FF numbers, or even medium format numbers - only a subset of those medium format shooters, really.

A company doesn't do itself any favors by over-selling something small. It opens itself up to 'well, that was a let down' responses and mutes the effectiveness of a *real* ground-shaker next time.

I guess.

If there is culpability, it is with Priolite and with Pentax Forums (Adam) for making something small sound big. There is no particular connection to Ricoh. They are not releasing a firmware upgrade to "allow" the use of these lights. I am sure they are glad that a third party company is actually supporting things Pentax, but certainly the "over selling" was not related to Ricoh or, their minions.

Currently Adam has a note saying as much, although he indicates that he thought it was an official Ricoh announcement initially.
06-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #720
Pentaxian

BTW - this thread is on page 49 after 3 days.

It took the K-3ii thread a month to reach that point.

Last edited by reh321; 06-09-2015 at 03:26 PM.