Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2015, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #766
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
this annuncment means to me that pentax will never increase the Sync speed than 1/180s.
This conclusion is of the same kind that the one predicting that the Pentax FF will be dropped because of Priolite's HSS development concerning 645 format above all...
Please don't hurt yourselves with such shortcuts

06-13-2015, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #767
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You seem to jump into discussion here. We had the argument already.

Point is you achieve the same cheaper using ND filters. For HotSync to fully deliver its value, you need to add action into the picture ... Like hairs in the wind, the model jumping in her robe, a downhill biker portrait etc.
In my experience, NDs are rubbish for a photoshoot where you need reliable autofocus and you have to deal with strong ambient light.
08-13-2015, 07:10 AM   #768
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
In my experience, NDs are rubbish for a photoshoot where you need reliable autofocus and you have to deal with strong ambient light.
100% AGREED. Using an ND is just what it was mentioned originally, a low cost alternative to a proper HSS flash system. In practice during a high energy fast moving shoot an ND filter is just a clumsy distraction that can be frustrating and cause a breakup in the flow of the shoot. It is a little easier when one has a variable ND filter set as you can fine tune it on the fly, but it still is not a substitute for a proper high speed flash system.

That being said, if Pentax even increased to 1/250" native sync speed and ALLOWED THE HOT SHOE TO FIRE over the sync speed regardless if there will be shutter cut off would be preferred.

I refuse to buy into another lighting kit at this point, I already support two different ones while I slowly phase out Elinchrome from my stable. But the Priorlite looks like an amazing system that depending on availability will entice more photographers into the Pentax fold, especially when the full frame comes around. There are already a few local fashion photogs looking at the 645z system more closely after what this system brings to the table. If other brands like Profoto and Elinchrome would bring us similar functionality then we are on an amazing path.
08-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #769
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No kudos for reviving this thread...

08-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #770
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
No kudos for reviving this thread...
haha, didnt look at the date and realize how dead it was :P