Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #586

It´s great! We were stuck at 1/180 for years and now nô more limits... :-)
And it´s great to see that tird party manufacturer invest un Pentax. They finaly consider them as a serious brand :-)

06-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #587
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
HSS is one of the issues that some people here used to grizzle about, at length.

To paraphrase what I said in the rest of my post, which you seem to have missed, anything that benefits professional users will likely move across to the other systems over time, and the fact is that the more professional photographers are using Pentax systems, the better for the rest of us, on a couple of levels.
No, I read your entire message, which part of the reason I said
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
most regulars here ... don't need a large flash solution to our small problems. We don't even appreciate the problems this solution addresses.
maybe the "most users" is just me; maybe I am a unique fossil today. Until recently, I didn't even know what HSS is, and knowing something about it did not affect what I do. When I'm taking pictures of moving objects, normally they are something big, like a locomotive, and I'd never attempt to use flash to help me in taking the picture. I hardly ever use fill flash, but when I do it is for what might as well be a still-life; for example, I do a certain amount of nature photography, but I would never use fill-flash in that setting because I don't want to disturb my models. When I do use flash, it is normally to light up an entire scene, with a significant fraction of the light coming from the flash, with very little motion, so the flash alone is sufficient to stop any remaining motion.I have never succumbed to the addicting lure of needle-sharp pictures. Typically, the 1/60 shutter speed I used with Kodachrome still works just fine when I'm using flash. Thus, I may have concerns about coordinating two or more flashes so that they all go off while my shutter is open, and I want a predictable amount of light during that time so the exposure comes out right, but that is the limit of what I need from a flash system. In short, Cactus provides today what I need and at the scale I need; I have no reason to be interested in something that might eventually result in units 20% their current size and at 10% their current price.
06-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #588
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
well can give birders a new advantage
I can't see many birders using such a system out in the field. It's bulky.

06-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #589
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting, photographers turn into advertising to make money.

06-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #590
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know next to nothing about using flash, but anything that helps get more pro's using Pentax has got to be good............hasn't it?
06-08-2015, 10:17 PM   #591
Veteran Member

Great for professional photographers, with their heavy large studio flash systems.

For all the rest of us, not trapped in a studio, maybe a Ricoh GR, two PocketWizard Plus X sender-receivers, and a Yongnuo 560-II flash... all for way less than $1,000. With the GR's 1/2000 flash sync speed. Not so bad, since you totally freeze sports motion and eliminate handheld shake at 1/1600!
06-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #592
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
For all the rest of us, not trapped in a studio, maybe a Ricoh GR, two PocketWizard Plus X sender-receivers, and a Yongnuo 560-II flash... all for way less than $1,000.
Why use PocketWizards when the Yongnuo 560-III/IV have their own dedicated trigger, the YN560-TX?

Personally, I'd recommend the Cactus V6 and RF60, though as they are more user-friendly, more compatible to third-party equipment, and much better featured.

06-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #593
Veteran Member

...Boring...

What changes? I have been using big strobes in my studio for years. Never missed the extra sync speed.
06-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #594
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not that bulky, especially if you consider the battery is exchangeable, more than 400 blitz capable, and included in the MBX
06-08-2015, 11:24 PM   #595
Veteran Member

"This is about sharpness, resolution, speed, fidelity, and so much more. It's a game changer." Am I missing something? With the upcoming trigger from Godox I may use AD360 flash to do high speed sync and overpower the sun. It's lighter, less bulkier...and it doesn't cost 2.000$ like this one. Oh, wait! I forgot that we are so many which uses 645Z...

Where is the game changer for us? What a waste of time...
06-08-2015, 11:39 PM   #596
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A flashgun wasn't enough, obviously, because with HSS lots of light is wasted as it hits the shutter and misses the "slit".
The higher the speed, the narrower the slit, the more light is lost.
06-08-2015, 11:42 PM   #597
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
With the upcoming trigger from Godox I may use AD360 flash to do high speed sync and overpower the sun.
Not with Pentax, though.
06-08-2015, 11:42 PM   #598
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
So go ahead and talk backwards to us. See if we care...
Ok, so you dont care what i say?

---------- Post added 06-09-15 at 08:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Not with Pentax, though.
Most stuff with radiosignals (triggers etc) made for Canon, works with Pentax. My Hähnel triggers and pro-modules are for Canon, but works as gold on my K-3's and Mark II's..
06-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #599
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Most stuff with radiosignals (triggers etc) made for Canon, works with Pentax.
Yes, for basic triggering.

But if you want remote power-control, HSS, and second-curtain sync with non-P-TTL flashes, the PrioLite and the Cactus solutions are currently the only third-party solutions available (not sure PrioLite supports second-curtain sync).

For remote power control only, there is a Pentax-compatible Yongnuo solution as well, but I would recommend the Cactus products, as I've mentioned before.

I very much doubt that a revamped Godox triggering system from Godox will provide any non-basic support for Pentax. Even as a shooter using a different system, I wouldn't wait for the Godox triggers as they have been announced for ages now.
06-08-2015, 11:52 PM   #600

What a load of hype

I'm as loyal to Pentax as anyone but I have to say calling a new flash system a 'game changer' and revolutionary is a ridiculous level of hype for a high speed flash system with similar features to dozens of others on the market. Quite honestly my Canon friend will laugh at me for even discussing this with him beforehand. Misdirected, Over-hyped, a big fail and does nothing to enhance the credibility of Pentax. Launching it with the news that 'Exciting news for studio shooters' would have been more appropriate than leading thousands of us to believe that this was as important as the creation of the single lens reflex!

I hope that lessons have been learned...

Jonlg