Show Printable Version 187 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 03:17 AM - 2 Likes   #646
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My 2 cents

Wow, what a fast spinning thread. Sorry for not reading most of it

FYI, this is my comment on the front page's article:
--
Great article! I do use a PrioLite MBX500 HS myself (with Nikon RC and a range other PrioLite strobes) and anybody needing more information is invited to ask me

The 500 HS is a gorgeous product, capable of delivering stunning photos not possible otherwise or only with even more expensive or more cumbersome solutions. Shooting at F1.4 or F2.8 with backlit sun makes a huge difference. Esp. with most models who canot look relaxed into a reflector.

Regarding action, I disagree with Class A. You obtain the same image as shot at e.g., 1/4000s or 1/8000s w/o flash. Cameras with a 1/320s shutter (like the D800) produce little enough of that effect for not being any concern. A 645Z would have a somewhat slower curtain but again would shoot slower action because of its slower AF too. PrioLite has footage of downhill skiing on their page, flashed against the sun at 1/8000s.

And a warning for anybody considering a purchase:
There is an MBX500 HS (expensive, allowing 1/8000s speeds with a K-3) which has t0.5 of 1/200s. And there is an MBX500 (more affordable, limited at XSync speeds) which has t0.5 of less than 1/4500s (IIRC). In the studio, the latter gives better results as you typically shoot around F5.6 or smaller and 1/200s or slower. You have slightly better microcontrast with the MBX500 in the studio because it flashes much faster. So in practice, the MBX500 HS should be a second strobe in the studio, not your only strobe.

One more comment regarding affordable ...

PrioLite is a spin-off of reputed German manufacturer Hensel, founded by their former lead engineer. For what they deliver (build quality and features) they are regarded by many as having best price performance. Their MBX500 HS was the first reliable and still affordable solution. Meanwhile, the Profoto B1 got an update allowing hotsync shooting as well. Additionally, the B1 is a true HSS solution allowing faster t0.5 speeds.

However, the Profoto B1 AirTTL is more expensive than the MBX500 HS. And MUCH more than the MBX500.

06-09-2015, 03:18 AM - 2 Likes   #647
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Ricoh isn't making a FF any more according to some.
That scares me haha! Some people can't live without negativity! If the FF is not coming, i would be back at Nikon before you could blink The FF is coming no matter what some people say.
06-09-2015, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #648
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am not sure why these things always turn into such hand wringing after the fact. I suppose because of the advertising lingo that preceded the announcement? I agree that was silly, but almost everyone could tell that it wasn't going to be a "game changer," at least not for the majority of photographers using Pentax cameras and that Pentax didn't really have any new equipment that they were ready to release at this point. That does not mean that they aren't currently working on a new full frame SLR or, that it won't be a worthwhile camera.

At the same time, there is nothing wrong with (a) Ricoh releasing products that are aimed at someone other than APS-C shooters and are (b) more expensive than most photographers will be interested in. All these sorts of releases do is provide more choices. If you don't have the money or interest in them, so be it. It is like the DA 560 or the DA 150-450. I am glad that Ricoh chose to release these lenses, even though I will never purchase one, because they will benefit the Pentax line up as a whole.

Don't get so wrapped up in advertising-speak. It is what it is. Yes, there was hyperbole in the announcement and no, this won't change most people's shooting experience one iota, but it still isn't something that warrants castigating Ricoh over. Their bigger releases will be coming in the fall.
06-09-2015, 03:26 AM   #649
Veteran Member

Game changer or not ...

Much of this thread seems to revolve around the hyped announcement, game changer or not.

Well, as I said above I started using the very same strobe (MBX500 HS) a while ago (it is new for Pentax only) and it does indeed allow a category of photos not possible otherwise. Like a macro lens would, or a tripod, or autofocus etc. Wether you call it game changer or not, your turn.

As a matter of fact, outdoor - against the sun - shallow DoF with moving subject needs a powerful supersync-capable mobile strobe (if reflectors or leaf-shutters can't do the job).

This may sound like a narrow niche. But wedding photographers will need it. However, it is NOT required in the studio ...

Last edited by falconeye; 06-09-2015 at 03:33 AM.
06-09-2015, 03:36 AM   #650
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
There is an MBX500 HS (expensive, allowing 1/8000s speeds with a K-3) which has t0.5 of 1/200s. And there is an MBX500 (more affordable, limited at XSync speeds) which has t0.5 of less than 1/4500s (IIRC).
Ok, now the specs make more sense. I thought HS is an IGBT flash with "true" HSS - it looks like it's the standard trick with long flash duration and just a proper sync time. They had to trick the camera to think the trigger is a HSS capable flash, so basically it has to have a Pentax compatible hotshoe. Just that.
06-09-2015, 03:58 AM   #651
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
The FF is coming no matter what some people say.
The avalanche has already started*. It is too late for pebbles to vote

* D FA 150-450mm, D FA* 70-200
06-09-2015, 04:04 AM   #652
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The avalanche has already started*. It is too late for pebbles to vote

* D FA 150-450mm, D FA* 70-200
I know a bit more then just those lenses

06-09-2015, 04:36 AM   #653
Veteran Member

More than those three others on a roadmap?
06-09-2015, 04:36 AM   #654
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Much of this thread seems to revolve around the hyped announcement, game changer or not.

Well, as I said above I started using the very same strobe (MBX500 HS) a while ago (it is new for Pentax only) and it does indeed allow a category of photos not possible otherwise. Like a macro lens would, or a tripod, or autofocus etc. Wether you call it game changer or not, your turn.

As a matter of fact, outdoor - against the sun - shallow DoF with moving subject needs a powerful supersync-capable mobile strobe (if reflectors or leaf-shutters can't do the job).

This may sound like a narrow niche. But wedding photographers will need it. However, it is NOT required in the studio ...
Many thanks for your interesting experience and complementary infos, i also use MBX500 from time to time and am having great fun with that.
06-09-2015, 04:41 AM   #655
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
More than those three others on a roadmap?
That too..but was talking about stuff around the FF
06-09-2015, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #656

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Hear, hear! I just don't understand the mentality of some people who profess to be Pentax supporters, yet take every possible opportunity to rubbish Pentax. Even spurious opportunities like this one, which is the promotion by an independent photographer of a product that has nothing to do with Ricoh beyond the fact that it is an exciting development for Pentax users who need to use high shutter speeds in the field. Seriously, what is wrong with you people?
As I expected out comes the "Pentax is dooooomed" cries. All this just because a technological innovation doesn't meet their fantasy wishes or has no direct bearing to their photography or is too expensive except for the working professional and deep-pocketed dilettante or being too short-sighted to see the implications it has in various areas of photography.

More and more posters become candidates for the "boriscleto" treatment.

Suggested reading are Alex Munoz's thoughts here:
Priolite: Sync Speeds Up To 1/8000s With Pentax - Third-Party Announcements | PentaxForums.com
06-09-2015, 04:56 AM   #657
Pentaxian

Of course there's more; you don't get an avalanche with just two lenses
06-09-2015, 05:05 AM   #658

QuoteQuote:
Could You tell if there will be 85/1.8?
06-09-2015, 05:06 AM   #659
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

That scares me haha! Some people can't live without negativity!
Yep, and nothing brings out the trolls like Pentax, or Pentax related good news.
06-09-2015, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #660
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I surely think this is not a game changer for me personally, but hasn't lack of leaf-shutter lenses been one of the main drawbacks of the Pentax 645 system?
I mean for all those fashion photographers that shoot outdoors this would really be a game changer as you could go from a +$50.000,- system to around $20.000,- system (considering 645Z + lens(es) + lighting system). So this should bring a lot more professional photographs to Pentax camp or at least seriously think about it.