Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #676
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
What strikes me is how *few* Pentaxians are affected by this.

Those who use strobe lighting, worry about sync speed and leaf lenses to the point where the current offerings don't quite cut it. I think there are more Pentaxians currently in Peru trying to get shots of the Andean Condor.

NEW LIFE-CHANGING ANNOUNCEMENT: Andean Condor distractor array! The Andean Condor is rendered stunned by perfectly-timed flashes matched to their cycladian sub-rhythms! Get your shot, even with the 55-300! Pentax: We change lives. That's what we do.

I'm surprised, Jay, to read such a self-centric post. I have heard way too often the thought "I don't want it so no one else must want it either."

The medium format market is small, but those who purchase medium format cameras have a lot of clout. They spent a lot of money on their body in the first place and spend more money on glass than the average Pentaxian. And yes, they have complained about the lack of leaf shutter lenses.

This release did not take a whole lot of effort on the part of Ricoh and fits a niche that I hope they continue to nurture.

Just because most of the forum is full frame centered does not mean that Ricoh should ditch R and D efforts on behalf of the medium format shooters amongst us.

06-09-2015, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #677
Veteran Member

Spoke to this lady today about the anouncement........

Won't affect her she reckons....
06-09-2015, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #678
Veteran Member

Yep, it was oversold. But what's with all the negativity - sad. I'll never buy the 645Z either, but i'm still glad that Pentax makes them.
06-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #679
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Yep, it was oversold. But what's with all the negativity - sad. I'll never buy the 645Z either, but i'm still glad that Pentax makes them.
Me too. Yes as i predicted yesterday it was a "meh... what was all the fuss about" moment for most of us, but it is undeniably good for Ricoh and the Pentax brand.

It's great to be able to shut up any CaNikon shooters who crow about their top end full-frame systems by asking them where I can buy a pro medium format CaNikon... and this just makes the 645z system even more pro (and to a lesser extent the K-3/II).

Last edited by Dave L; 06-09-2015 at 09:35 AM.
06-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #680
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can see the importance of this for many 645 shooters.

As for myself, absolutely no importance. I do not use flash. Anywhere. For any purpose. Any kind of flash. Ever. Period.
06-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #681
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think this looks awesome!

I might put the money I'm saving for FF toward one of these instead. For the kinds of mountain bike and ski photos I take this would be perfect.
I always struggle with too little power in HSS or a too slow shutter in X-Sync. This would open up a lot of new action photo possibilities for me and probably have more impact on my photography than a bigger sensor would.

I only have a K-3 but I still think this is pretty cool.

I'm very interested!

Last edited by mattb123; 06-09-2015 at 09:56 AM.
06-09-2015, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #682
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
I can see the importance of this for many 645 shooters.

As for myself, absolutely no importance. I do not use flash. Anywhere. For any purpose. Any kind of flash. Ever. Period.
Wow, and winters are long and dark in Finland. I'm not a fan of flash use, but I'm not crazy about hauling studio lights around either. With practice at soft flash modification, you can get some decent results mixed with ambient. It might be worth a try to dip your toe in.

06-09-2015, 10:14 AM - 2 Likes   #683
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know this affects a very small percentage of Pentaxians, but it's exciting for what it offers the rest of us and what it means for the market.

The biggest news is that this shows that a professional light company is embracing Pentax and sees where they are going and wants to be able to be a part of that pie. we may get more professionals interested in the Pentax brand because there are third party professional offerings that bring the system more in line with Canikon for the features that pros need/want on a daily basis.

I'm not going to lie, HSS and native sync speeds in the 200's is a major reason I bought a D800 system. If my Pentax (k5 at the time) had the ability to fire my strobes at higher speeds I don't know if I would have bought into Nikon. My D800 is in the shop (again) and I haven't missed it...until I goto use my strobes....I've actually turned down a handful of outdoor jobs this month because of my equipment. This announcement changes that!

I just don't know if I could justify buying into another lighting system after just outfitting myself with a Profoto system.
06-09-2015, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #684
Pentaxian

You guys are actually funny!

Ricoh is actually positioning Pentax equipment at the cutting edge of the pro world with class leading lighting options. You may not think this is important but for professionals, the ability to use high speed flash is one of those features that can influence their purchasing decisions.

Tethering, high speed synch... Ricoh looks as if they are really trying to put their medium format equipment where it belongs. As the flagship of the entire Pentax line, the 645 cameras need to have flagship capabilities.
06-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #685
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My cup is so less full and the glint is gone from my eye, for I am not a user of flash...

Steve

(...or even HTML 5...)
06-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #686
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Wow, and winters are long and dark in Finland. I'm not a fan of flash use, but I'm not crazy about hauling studio lights around either. With practice at soft flash modification, you can get some decent results mixed with ambient. It might be worth a try to dip your toe in.
it's not that bad. I fit my Profoto D1, Pentax K3, DA*16-50, DA*50-135, DA*55, DA10-17, and FA43, and a 16x48 inch strip softbox in my bag with light stand hanging off the side. Sure it's heavy (around 10lbs), but it gives me lots of juicy options!
06-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #687
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
What strikes me is how *few* Pentaxians are affected by this.

Those who use strobe lighting, worry about sync speed and leaf lenses to the point where the current offerings don't quite cut it. I think there are more Pentaxians currently in Peru trying to get shots of the Andean Condor.

NEW LIFE-CHANGING ANNOUNCEMENT: Andean Condor distractor array! The Andean Condor is rendered stunned by perfectly-timed flashes matched to their cycladian sub-rhythms! Get your shot, even with the 55-300! Pentax: We change lives. That's what we do.

The big question is whether this will improve video performance on current and future Pentax cameras. Also, is there still a flash lag...

Steve
06-09-2015, 10:30 AM - 3 Likes   #688
Veteran Member

For those who complain that today's announcement is irrelevant to their interests: A RISING TIDE LIFTS ALL BOATS. It's encouraging to see Ricoh/Pentax being taken seriously by third-party companies. Nothing bad can come of this. And for the record, this is something I will never buy or use.

And here I was, thinking that I was in a place where people actually LIKED Pentax.
06-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #689

This is indeed of importance tol professionals and to some amateurs (like me) who are tired for shooting tethered outdoor HSS. The cost is not bad news, since the technology is no big deal. More options will come along at better prices.
06-09-2015, 10:48 AM - 2 Likes   #690
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
You guys are actually funny!
There's this thinking, that Ricoh/Pentax should improve only in the specific area of interest of a certain individual Everything else is no good/ how they dared to/ someone should be fired. And at the same time we're complaining how 3rd-party makers are abandoning Pentax

If this will alleviate the complaints about the slow sync... we're talking about the "demand double than estimated" 645z. About a camera that creates demand in a high-end, high-margin market.