Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #691
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if this tech would or could find it's way into smaller speedlight types of flashes. I realize it would be less power but the increased sync could really come in handy.

06-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #692
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There's this thinking, that Ricoh/Pentax should improve only in the specific area of interest of a certain individual Everything else is no good/ how they dared to/ someone should be fired. And at the same time we're complaining how 3rd-party makers are abandoning Pentax

If this will alleviate the complaints about the slow sync... we're talking about the "demand double than estimated" 645z. About a camera that creates demand in a high-end, high-margin market.
No, many of us think this is just great for the company, but we don't see any reason for us to be sucked into the announcement. We have other interests in life and so would prefer to focus only on those announcements that might actually affect us. I cannot afford a FF camera, but I understand how advances there might eventually trickle down to me; I doubly cannot afford the 645Z, and see no way that this would ever trickle down to me.
06-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #693
Pentaxian

It's all a question of priority.... and motivation !

There are plenty of hobbies or activities that potentially cost a lot more than photography : motorbiking, golf, hunting, audio Hi-fi, ... There are also plenty of much more costly "compulsory" expenses, like cars or houses... In which you may get some optimisation of costs.

So, please everybody, i hardly believe that you are spending so much time on Pentax Forums, shooting on a redular basis, and that you would not be able to save less than 2000 bucks over a certain period of time for your prefered hobby.

I tell you : if you really want, yes you can !
06-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #694

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I wonder if this tech would or could find it's way into smaller speedlight types of flashes. I realize it would be less power but the increased sync could really come in handy.
Maybe - remember that HSS is a pretty big loss of power right from the start, so the HSS pulse from a really small unit would be just that much less light. (edit: if this is what you meant... I mean almost no extra light...)

But a nice bit of news regardless...

06-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #695
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No, many of us think this is just great for the company, but we don't see any reason for us to be sucked into the announcement. We have other interests in life and so would prefer to focus only on those announcements that might actually affect us. I cannot afford a FF camera, but I understand how advances there might eventually trickle down to me; I doubly cannot afford the 645Z, and see no way that this would ever trickle down to me.
But who forced the group you call "we" to be sucked into the announcement? You have been warned, by me and a few others.

Besides, every little thing helps. 645z brings money, money make R&D work, R&D makes cameras and lenses you might be interested in
06-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #696
Veteran Member

The announcement is the problem, not the product

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm surprised, Jay, to read such a self-centric post. I have heard way too often the thought "I don't want it so no one else must want it either."
The problem lies in the disparity between the tone of the announcement and the number of people it will actually affect.

We're not talking about aps-c numbers, or even FF numbers, or even medium format numbers - only a subset of those medium format shooters, really.

A company doesn't do itself any favors by over-selling something small. It opens itself up to 'well, that was a let down' responses and mutes the effectiveness of a *real* ground-shaker next time.

06-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #697
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
Maybe - remember that HSS is a pretty big loss of power right from the start, so the HSS pulse from a really small unit would be just that much less light. (edit: if this is what you meant... I mean almost no extra light...)

But a nice bit of news regardless...
I'm thinking of the longer duration flash like what I think this does. But you are right that with current available power it would probably just dim like HSS does. So the electronics and battery would also need some new development. Just pondering what the trickle down might be.

06-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #698
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
1. I did not state that one would get different images at 1/4000s, etc. compared to not using any flash.
[...]
2. I don't regard the method of moving a slit over an imager [...] as "appropriately stopping action".
[...]
3. For professional results, I'd therefore only consider ultra-short flash photography as an appropriate means for truly stopping action
[...]
4. I find the emphasis on action photography to be ill-guided.
I will not reply on the home page, but we can exchange a few arguments in this thread.

(1) I did not state you would have stated so

Class A, I am sure you know your stuff and didn't mean to imply you don't.

(2 & 3) A rolling 1/320s shutter (Nikon FP or Nikon Focal Plane mode) and action ...

Of course, you may theoretically obtain tilted edges for very fast action. However, in practice this is no concern. Extremely fast moving outdoor subjects are either panned (racing cars, jets etc.) or organic (birds, skiiers, tennis players, boxers etc.).

No professional I am aware of has ever complained about issues at 1/8000s with skewed images. Your comment looks like you point at a hypothetical problem which isn't one in a pro's daily life.

Of course, there is indeed indoor photography which requires extremely short flash pulses, like bullet, splash, implosion etc. But that's almost always done in the studio with special trigger devices. Where hotsyncing is irrelevant anyway.

Eventually, there is no way to stop action other than using the HotSync approach if you need to overpower the sun and need shallow depth of field and need to stop action.

As this kind of photography must be produced by many professionals today (wedding/jumps, fashion/wind), your statement the technology wouldn't be appropriate for professional results is misleading. The opposite is true.

(4) It is not. But a reminder this to be meant in conjunction with shallow depth of field outdoor may be advisable.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
The biggest news is that this shows that a professional light company is embracing Pentax and sees where they are going and wants to be able to be a part of that pie.
That's more a professional 645Z shooter who convinced PrioLite to adapt their remote trigger to support Pentax. That's the good part with PrioLite actually: run by technicians and photographers, not marketing guys -- which is what made them go spin off of Hensel.

I just don't know if I could justify buying into another lighting system after just outfitting myself with a Profoto system.
The Profoto B1 AirTTL with newest firmware can do the same. Although more recent, even more expensive and possibly not suporting Pentax.
06-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #699
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The HSS tech in this announcement is available to K3 users as well. and I suspect K5, K30, Ks2, etc as I figure it's just a remote that uses reverse engineered tech from the 540 flash head. So this does affect you if your a flash user.

This also will trickle down as it should help spark interest from other third parties to support Pentax, be it Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Profoto, Elinchrome....but we do have a ways to go.

on the flip side, by that logic why do the higher end pro/semi pro users have any reason to be sucked into the announcements of lower end entry level gear like a new K-500, KS1, KS2? Because it's interesting to see what the brand is doing and how they are evolving. I'll never buy a Pentax lower than the K3/K5 range for the rest of my photography journey, but it is interesting to see what they are trying out with the masses.

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 01:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The Profoto B1 AirTTL with newest firmware can do the same. Although even more expensive.
But not compatible with Pentax. You need the AirTTL remote. Which only comes in Nikon and Canon flavors.
06-09-2015, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #700
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The problem lies in the disparity between the tone of the announcement and the number of people it will actually affect.

We're not talking about aps-c numbers, or even FF numbers, or even medium format numbers - only a subset of those medium format shooters, really.

A company doesn't do itself any favors by over-selling something small. It opens itself up to 'well, that was a let down' responses and mutes the effectiveness of a *real* ground-shaker next time.

May i recall that :
- the announcement is not from Ricoh themselves
- this light does work with other Pentax bodies such as K-3 and soon FF
- no other power gear light manufacturer did previously care for Pentax compatibility

If you really were interested ih that high speed question, you wouldn't be so categoric i'm sure.
06-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #701
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But who forced the group you call "we" to be sucked into the announcement? You have been warned, by me and a few others.
When experienced Pentaxians need to take to a forum to warn others not to expect too much from an over-sold announcement... that points to marketing disfunction.

06-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #702
Veteran Member

It's funny that a fully pro lighting system that is marketed towards the more advanced users is being scoffed at. I figure when the FF comes out and its a $3000 camera we will see similar bellyaching.

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
When experienced Pentaxians need to take to a forum to warn others not to expect too much from an over-sold announcement... that points to marketing disfunction.

I disagree. it was not misleading (not that you said it was), it was not over-sold. It's a REALLY BIG DEAL. It's probably the most exciting news I've read on the main page including the FF. But maybe I'm nearly alone in that sentiment.
06-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #703
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
May i recall that :
- no other power gear light manufacturer did previously care for Pentax compatibility

So noted. I remain hopeful that a few of you will get some level of happiness from this announcement, more power to you if so.

---------- Post added 06-09-15 at 01:31 PM ----------

It's a REALLY BIG DEAL. .
That's one!
06-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #704
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
May i recall that :
Yeah, but it will fall on deaf ears

This light system is especially important for the 645z - because it compensates for the lack of new leaf shutter lenses, because of the low sync speed of the larger shutter - but obviously medium format shooters are not the only ones using studio lights.
06-09-2015, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #705
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My reaction to this ground shaking announcement that changes everything is a big emphatic "meh." Now I'm going to wait for an announcement that actually changes things for me and most users.