Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 187 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2015, 04:45 AM   #751
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
One RF60 is $175 (not $190)
The B&H price is $174.95 + NY TAX (8.875%).

06-10-2015, 04:49 AM   #752
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
So the proper sync time for the HSS is just a calculated delay and the regular sync signal is taken from the remote control input instead of the middle pin (or TTL pins)? The only Priolite "work" to adapt it for Pentax was to calculate the delay and put it in a trigger memory - right?
The latest version of the PrioLite remote does not need the shutter release cable anymore.

It communicates with the camera via the hot-shoe, using the system-specific TTL protocol which also obviates the need to set up delay times.

The above is mentioned (in German) on the "News" page of PrioLite and you can also see Alex Munoz shooting without a cable.

BTW, I tried using the shutter release port of my K-5 II as an output to obtain a trigger signal for a V6 and lo and behold, it worked!
By setting up an appropriate delay on the V6, I could shoot with HSS at any shutter speed. Unfortunately, there was one catch. After a short while after the exposure the shutter release port of the K-5 II started to produce erratic signals (fast pulsing), triggering the flash accordingly. I could stop this behaviour by tapping the shutter release button once, but I don't think it is practical to do that in real shoots.

Alas, my approach using a V6 to trigger both camera and flashes (in HSS mode) remains the only practical approach to achieving unlimited HSS with a Pentax DSLR without using dedicated P-TTL equipment (at least with a K-5 II, perhaps other Pentax DSLR models won't produce the erratic shutter release port signal; the K100D locks up when a V6 is connected, i.e., doesn't work either).

Last edited by Class A; 06-10-2015 at 06:59 AM.
06-10-2015, 06:58 AM   #753
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Do you have any idea why PrioLite took down the manuals?
No. Maybe, by accident or because they contain out of date information. E.g., the list of supported cameras is not complete like missing D810.
06-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #754
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
Cant wait for the younguo version
hahaha yes!

06-12-2015, 12:43 AM   #755
Veteran Member

Sync at 1/8000? That could be very useful for anyone doing outdoor portraiture (wedding, senior portraits, fashion) where you want to be able to drop the ambient light level enough so that you can take advantage of large aperture lenses for creamy backgrounds. I think that this would be really useful for sunset portraits. Expensive though....
06-12-2015, 02:01 AM   #756
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Sync at 1/8000? That could be very useful for anyone doing outdoor portraiture (wedding, senior portraits, fashion) where you want to be able to drop the ambient light level enough so that you can take advantage of large aperture lenses for creamy backgrounds. I think that this would be really useful for sunset portraits. Expensive though....
You seem to jump into discussion here. We had the argument already.

Point is you achieve the same cheaper using ND filters. For HotSync to fully deliver its value, you need to add action into the picture ... Like hairs in the wind, the model jumping in her robe, a downhill biker portrait etc.
06-12-2015, 05:01 AM - 2 Likes   #757
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You seem to jump into discussion here.
We had that argument already.
Yes, he's allowed to do that. It's a discussion forum, and it's not for you to tell people what they should, or shouldn't post.

06-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #758
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this annuncment means to me that pentax will never increase the Sync speed than 1/180s.
06-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #759
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
this annuncment means to me that pentax will never increase the Sync speed than 1/180s.
Remember that the design team in Japan had nothing to do with the announcement.
06-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #760
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It doesn't matter what Ricoh had to do with it.
06-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #761
Pentaxian

For HotSync to fully deliver its value, you need to add action into the picture ...
I've read people arguing that PrioLite's HotSync technique is a variant of the HyperSync approach rather than an actual HSS variant.

HyperSync variants are based on one long pulse and thus invariably involve a change in illumination across the frame (as a single pulse varies in intensity, even when the peak is cut off).

HSS variants are based on high-frequency strobing of flash tubes and thus achieve even illumination across the frame.

Do you know which technique is used as the basis for "HotSync"?

N.B. HyperSync-based exposures have been available before with the Cactus V6 in combination with strobes and speedlights. HSS-based exposures are supported by the V6 as well, provided the lights can be set to HSS manually (such as the RF60).

Last edited by Class A; 06-12-2015 at 08:58 PM.
06-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #762
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, he's allowed to do that. It's a discussion forum, and it's not for you to tell people what they should, or shouldn't post.
You almost always exhibit a very nasty attitude towards me. Please stop it. Unfortunately, I cannot set you to ignore 'cause you are a mod.

@Adam, please add Parallax to my ignore list or remove his mod privileges. Thanks.

BTW, nowhere did I tell HawaiianOnline what he may post or not. I just gave a hint for him to find more info by scrolling back and gave a short summary for him.
06-12-2015, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #763
Pentaxian

You almost always exhibit a very nasty attitude towards me. Please stop it. Unfortunately, I cannot set you to ignore 'cause you are a mod.

@Adam, please add Parallax to my ignore list or remove his mod privileges. Thanks.

BTW, nowhere did I tell HawaiianOnline what he may post or not. I just gave a hint for him to find more info by scrolling back and gave a short summary for him.
Wow ... and to think that I had unsubscripted from this thread and then happened upon this gem. Wow.
06-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #764
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
06-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #765
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It doesn't matter what Ricoh had to do with it.
It has everything to do with how we interpret the announcement. If someone had nothing to do with the announcement, you cannot reasonably infer anything about their thinking from it. The only things we can infer from the announcement are that PrioLite wants to sell products, Ricoh USA sees this as a way for them to sell more products in the near future ... oh, and that Adam saw the announcement as a way to build traffic here at the forum (and, obviously he was right, since we're still talking about it 6 days and 52 pages after he started this thread)

Last edited by reh321; 06-12-2015 at 11:23 AM.