Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2015, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,934
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
At 24mm, on average, barrel distortion hits just under +5% on a full-frame camera....

Huge distortion
It's a typo. Should have read "0.5% as the graph and the rest of the sentence clearly indicates.

07-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #92
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,934
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
Considering the size and weight, I'm actually moderately disappointed.
Really?

SLR gives the lens a glowing review concluding
The Sigma 24-35mm /2.0 Art is pretty much in a league of its own at this point in time, as neither Canon nor Nikon offer a similar "prime-like" zoom with an aperture faster than /2.8.
They state "Sigma has done it again... and while also commenting on the weight they remark that a collection of respective primes would weigh more.

You may not need three or more primes at these focal lengths, but if we can believe SLRGear, there is no denying that Sigma managed to release yet another impressive lens.

How did you compare resolution to other Canikon zooms? Did you use SLRGear measurements as well?

I'm hopeful the rendering will be great, something that SLRGear did not comment on.

Last edited by Class A; 07-16-2015 at 12:44 PM.
07-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #93
Senior Member
Matthew Saville's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 250
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Really?

SLR gives the lens a glowing review concluding
The Sigma 24-35mm /2.0 Art is pretty much in a league of its own at this point in time, as neither Canon nor Nikon offer a similar "prime-like" zoom with an aperture faster than /2.8.
They state "Sigma has done it again... and while also commenting on the weight they remark that a collection of respective primes would weigh more.

You may not need three or more primes at these focal lengths, but if we can believe SLRGear, there is no denying that Sigma managed to release yet another impressive lens.

How did you compare resolution to other Canikon zooms? Did you use SLRGear measurements as well?

I'm hopeful the rendering will be great, something that SLRGear did not comment on.
Indeed I am not going by what they wrote. I'm going by the visual graph that they've produced, and how those graphs compare to the other lenses they've reviewed. (Of which I've perused probably 75-90% of)

It seems that what they write and what the graphs look like aren't always in harmony.

I'm sure it's a rather sharp lens for what most people do. But having looked at a few sample images in addition to these graphs, I have to say I am indeed underwhelmed. IMO the 18-35 1.8 DC Art is sharper, actually. That lens has incredible sharpness corner to corner, and even SLR Gear's review chart confirms that. But as usual, all they have to say about it is the un-quantifiable "very sharp" Hmm, maybe they should hire me to do some more real-world, quantifiable reviews. :-D
07-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #94
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,934
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
I'm going by the visual graph that they've produced, and how those graphs compare to the other lenses they've reviewed. (Of which I've perused probably 75-90% of)
Could you please point me to the graphs of other comparable lenses, such as the f/2.8 and f/4 zooms in theCanon and Nikon's lineup you referred to earlier?

I have looked at one Canon zoom and the Sigma was significantly better.
I hesitate to point it out, but make sure you are comparing FF performance against FF performance, as SLRGear sometimes swaps the ordering of the graphs.

N.B., with sample images one has to be careful how they were made. I wouldn't judge the lens on the basis of a few early sample images.

07-16-2015, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member
drypenn's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 948
Wow! Exciting!

Sigma, next lens please
07-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #96
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,777
US MRSP announced: $999.
07-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #97
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,112
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It's a typo. Should have read "0.5%“ as the graph and the rest of the sentence clearly indicates.
it's outstanding result. you are right. it's typo



It's rather suspicious lens. Sharp from f2 at all apertures at FF. Low distortion at FF.
07-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #98
Senior Member
Matthew Saville's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 250
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Could you please point me to the graphs of other comparable lenses, such as the f/2.8 and f/4 zooms in theCanon and Nikon's lineup you referred to earlier?

I have looked at one Canon zoom and the Sigma was significantly better.
I hesitate to point it out, but make sure you are comparing FF performance against FF performance, as SLRGear sometimes swaps the ordering of the graphs.

N.B., with sample images one has to be careful how they were made. I wouldn't judge the lens on the basis of a few early sample images.
The Nikon 24-70 2.8 G is quite flat from 24-35mm, and the Canon 24-70 2.8 mk2 would probably have been even better if their full-frame testing had been done with a good copy; but as it is you can see the truly incredible results possible on the APS-C test. And as I already mentioned, the Nikon 14-24 is downright witchcraft even at 14mm, although that is a totally different focal range. Also, as I mentioned before, compare the 18-35 1.8 on APS-C against the 24-35 on FF, and you'll also see that the crop sensor lens matches it overall, and in some places even beats it in the extreme corners.

I'll concede, it's pretty darn sharp by f/4-5.6. In the real world the corners probably look flawless. However for wide-open astro-landscape photography, this lens is not going to be worth using compared to an f/1.4 or f/1.8 prime or two.

07-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 2,951
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
it's outstanding result. you are right. it's typo
It's rather suspicious lens. Sharp from f2 at all apertures at FF. Low distortion at FF.
They clearly have to target the primes in that range.
Probably a sound explanation for the weight of this lens.
We'll see more tests, but i'm interested once it comes out in K mount.
07-16-2015, 11:05 PM   #100
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 814
Fast 24mm lenses in general seem to struggle with FF edges, even Sigma's new 24mm f/1.4 Art, so I'd say its fine in that regard.

However, it really doesn't seem as compelling as the 18-35mm is for APS-C. The 18-35mm brought fast wide angles to APS-C, which are rare or non-existent, at least on SLRs (there are more for mirrorless). The 18-35 has as good or better IQ than the prime lenses in its range that do exist. It has a wide enough zoom range to act as a slightly short, general purpose standard zoom for many applications. Combined with a relatively low price it is a huge winner.

This 24-35mm however, really doesn't seem to bring all that much new. Its less than 1.5x zoom range takes it from wide to somewhat wide, making it more like shooting a prime with some adjusting room. It doesn't really do anything new that the f/1.4 and f/1.8 primes in its range don't do already, in terms of speed or IQ. You want fast lenses in this range? You can get them. You want excellent IQ? Good lenses already exist. You shoot primarily at 24mm, 28mm and 35mm, don't need f/1.4, and find a three prime setup a hassle and/or too costly? This is the lens for you.

It has its place in FF, especially if it ever came out for Pentax (which lacks a current fast AF 24mm), but definitely not nearly as groundbreaking as the 18-35mm.

As a side note, I really wish lens reviews would cover more than just the usual sharpness/vignetting/distortion/CA. Coma and flare can ruin a photo just as easily, but unlike the usual stuff there's not much you can do about them in post-processing, which is why I like Lenstip reviews. I like fast wide angles for astrophotography, where coma is very important. The Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art has terrible coma, and if this 24-35mm is nearly as bad, it kills my desire for these lenses. Assuming either ever comes for the Pentax FF of course...

Last edited by Cannikin; 07-16-2015 at 11:27 PM.
07-17-2015, 12:08 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 2,951
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
It has its place in FF, especially if it ever came out for Pentax (which lacks a current fast AF 24mm), but definitely not nearly as groundbreaking as the 18-35mm...
Let's be a bit more accurate re. 18-35/1.8 : in "FF equivalent", this is 28-70mm f/2.5 : not quite the same as the new 24-35mm f/2, which for APS-C gives 36-70 f/2.8.
So yes, if used in APS-C format, the 24-35 brings nothing more interesting.
07-17-2015, 12:26 AM   #102
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 814
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Let's be a bit more accurate re. 18-35/1.8 : in "FF equivalent", this is 28-70mm f/2.5 : not quite the same as the new 24-35mm f/2, which for APS-C gives 36-70 f/2.8.
So yes, if used in APS-C format, the 24-35 brings nothing more interesting.
I think you mean the 18-35mm's 35mm equivalent is ~28-54mm.

And no, my point was the 18-35mm was more groundbreaking for APS-C SLRs than the 24-35mm is for FF. The range of the 24-35mm in focal length and speed is already pretty well covered by FF primes that already exist. 24mm f/2 or faster lenses already exist. 28mm f/2 or faster lenses already exist. 35mm f/2 or faster lenses already exist (with excellent IQ, small and relatively cheap). So really, all the 24-35mm has going for it is convenience and total cost vs a good three prime setup, at least for Canikon systems. Admittedly if it ever came out for the Pentax FF it would be a bigger deal, with very little choice in fast AF FF lenses wider than the FA 31 Limited.

On the other hand, 18mm f/1.8 or faster lenses do not exist for SLRs. The closest are the Nikon and old Sigma 20mm f/1.8s (and some mirrorless lenses) that fall short of the IQ of the 18-35mm. That and having a zoom range wide enough to consider it a slightly short standard zoom makes the 18-35mm much more groundbreaking of the two with respect to their native systems.

Last edited by Cannikin; 07-17-2015 at 01:03 AM.
07-17-2015, 04:08 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Stavri's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: at a Bean & Leaf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,617
Someone check this lens for "frog-egg" bokeh*
* current 18-35/1.8 Art owner
07-17-2015, 04:39 AM   #104
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 2,951
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I think you mean the 18-35mm's 35mm equivalent is ~28-54mm.

And no, my point was the 18-35mm was more groundbreaking for APS-C SLRs than the 24-35mm is for FF. The range of the 24-35mm in focal length and speed is already pretty well covered by FF primes that already exist. 24mm f/2 or faster lenses already exist. 28mm f/2 or faster lenses already exist. 35mm f/2 or faster lenses already exist (with excellent IQ, small and relatively cheap). So really, all the 24-35mm has going for it is convenience and total cost vs a good three prime setup, at least for Canikon systems. Admittedly if it ever came out for the Pentax FF it would be a bigger deal, with very little choice in fast AF FF lenses wider than the FA 31 Limited.

On the other hand, 18mm f/1.8 or faster lenses do not exist for SLRs. The closest are the Nikon and old Sigma 20mm f/1.8s (and some mirrorless lenses) that fall short of the IQ of the 18-35mm. That and having a zoom range wide enough to consider it a slightly short standard zoom makes the 18-35mm much more groundbreaking of the two with respect to their native systems.
OK
07-17-2015, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #105
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: bev
Posts: 175
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I don't see the usefulness of a FF 24-35mm/f2 (limited focal length) over a 24-70mm/f2.8, I'll take the latter anyday of the week...
Do you like primes? Because this is 3.

I don't get the complaints. No it doesn't have a huge zoom range but everyone is always touting their prime lenses, particularly fast lenses and this lens provides that.

It's not meant to compete with a normal zoom; it's supposed to be a substitute for f1.4 and f1.8 prime lenses. Comparing this to a normal zoom is like comparing a normal zoom to a super zoom and saying that the normal zoom doesn't have enough range.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24-35mm f2 dg, 24mm, aperture, corners, dg, f/2, f2, f2 dg hsm, field, folks, hsm, leica, lens, lenses, opinion, pentax news, pentax rumors, photographer, post, range, sensor, sharpness, sigma, sigma 24-35mm f2, weather, weather seals
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 IF EX DG HSM - Pentax Fit Keif Sold Items 3 05-16-2015 10:37 AM
Sigma 24-105 F/4 DG OS HSM "Art" series Winder Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 26 03-22-2015 06:55 PM
SMC Pentax FA 43mm 1.9 Limited vs. Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM Art b-theodore Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 10-24-2014 10:39 AM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM EricBrown Sold Items 5 05-08-2014 01:45 PM
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art for $699 trek560ex Pentax Price Watch 3 12-17-2013 05:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top