Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2015, 03:45 AM   #226
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,340
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
FF that will show you every single flaw in your lenses and magnify every weakness.
Actually aps-c magnifies weaknesses like colour fringing. because it is a crop sensor you magnify every weakness of the lens by about 2.25, so lenses will show relatively less purple and green fringing in full frame. Most lenses will do better on the format they were meant for. Corners on wide angle are a different matter. Just pull out some old tests from the seventies-eighties-nineties to determine which lenses you need. Lenses that were good in the day, will be good now. The main difference are the coatings. Rendering is different (more micro-contrast) on modern coated lenses.

07-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #227
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,861
And besides, if you use a fairly poor lens (unsharp, lots of CA, fringing) on a 50MP FF, then resize it down to 10MP, wouldn't that give you the same image quality as using that lens on a 10MP camera? Or better, but I doubt it would be worse.
I don't really want high MP, because then it becomes a struggle to store and backup photos, even to work with those large files. But eh, I won't be getting a FF anytime soon, anyway, so what do I care
07-30-2015, 07:11 AM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,655
The larger files are not that big a deal with a modern computer. I played around yesterday with A7rii raw file a Londoner had shared from his new A7rii. It was easy to handle in both LR and PS. It did not seem any more cumbersome than a K-3 file. Storage space has become ridiculously cheap and fast.
07-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #229
Loyal Site Supporter
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,698
Since Pentax does not introduce a model of the month club camera selection ala Canon and Nikon, the FF should be the best resolution and technology available. It will be some time before a follow on model. Maximum practical resolution, top notch auto focus, fast processor etc. It would be nice if the Pentax FF attracted some new Pentax users and encouraged more third party support in the future, especially lenses.

07-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #230
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,213
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Actually aps-c magnifies weaknesses like colour fringing. because it is a crop sensor you magnify every weakness of the lens by about 2.25, so lenses will show relatively less purple and green fringing in full frame. Most lenses will do better on the format they were meant for. Corners on wide angle are a different matter. Just pull out some old tests from the seventies-eighties-nineties to determine which lenses you need. Lenses that were good in the day, will be good now. The main difference are the coatings. Rendering is different (more micro-contrast) on modern coated lenses.
This is the age old argument. In the end, APS-C and full frame put pressure on lenses in different ways. Highly-pixel dense APS-C sensors put a lot of pressure on the center of a lens and yes, they can magnify aberrations. On the other hand, full frame sensors put more pressure on borders of lenses and there are plenty of lenses that vignette fiercely on full frame that are passable on APS-C. If you are shooting portraits, vignetting and border sharpness may not be a big deal, but if you shoot a lot of landscapes, not all wide angles are great on full frame because of these issues.
07-30-2015, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #231
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,340
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is the age old argument. In the end, APS-C and full frame put pressure on lenses in different ways. Highly-pixel dense APS-C sensors put a lot of pressure on the center of a lens and yes, they can magnify aberrations. On the other hand, full frame sensors put more pressure on borders of lenses and there are plenty of lenses that vignette fiercely on full frame that are passable on APS-C. If you are shooting portraits, vignetting and border sharpness may not be a big deal, but if you shoot a lot of landscapes, not all wide angles are great on full frame because of these issues.
Wide angle is an area that has much improved over the years. But I'm still curious about my M-20mm f4 on a FF. It's supposed to have moustache distortion . I would agree that for landscape an general wide-angle modern glass is more useful. But for close-up and portrait work old glass is still great.
07-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #232
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,213
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Wide angle is an area that has much improved over the years. But I'm still curious about my M-20mm f4 on a FF. It's supposed to have moustache distortion . I would agree that for landscape an general wide-angle modern glass is more useful. But for close-up and portrait work old glass is still great.
If you look at Canon's wide angle primes on full frame, even the modern ones aren't all that great. To find something like Nikon's 14-24 you pay a lot of money. Certainly you won't find much like that in the really old glass range.
07-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #233
Site Supporter
Shanti's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 904
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Then you know more then me. The summer is also over soon btw.
weatherwise the summer has not arrived yet here in DK !!! so there is still time

07-30-2015, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #234
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,340
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you look at Canon's wide angle primes on full frame, even the modern ones aren't all that great. To find something like Nikon's 14-24 you pay a lot of money. Certainly you won't find much like that in the really old glass range.
Pentax only had a FA 20-35mm F4 and an F 17-28mm 3.5 4.5 fisheye. I expect they will come with a Pentaxified copy of the Tamron 15-30 F2.8 Which is a very good lens.
07-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #235
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,068
And also with a Tokina-inspired 24-70mm f/2.8 which seems so good, even if a bit heavy
07-30-2015, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #236
bxf
Site Supporter
bxf's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lisbon area
Posts: 1,118
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
weatherwise the summer has not arrived yet here in DK !!! so there is still time
Sorry, you missed it. July 21, from 13:22 to 14:53.
08-07-2015, 11:47 PM   #237
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1
Still waiting for ff pentax
08-08-2015, 12:19 AM   #238
Site Supporter
kenspo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1,955
Its still due for late october/early november. Now its august..so of course you'll have to wait.
08-08-2015, 12:46 AM   #239
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,825
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
late october/early november
Hmm. So now late October is turning into early November.

5-9 November is the Salon de la Photo show in Paris, and Ricoh will be exhibiting there. Maybe the FF will be formally launched in Japan first, and then make it's public debut at Salon de la Photo?
08-08-2015, 01:03 AM   #240
Site Supporter
kenspo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1,955
I just said both, since i dont know exact date yet. No worries..It will come
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
36mp, body, count, crop, d4, d800, december, dont, ff, interview, landscape, months, mp, nikon, november, offer, pentax, pentax ff camera, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax shooter, people, photography, post, reason, ricoh, sensor, sony
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crazy way-out theory on the FF (just for fun). pathdoc Pentax Full Frame 17 05-13-2015 05:30 PM
Pets Ricoh Pup 4 months sherrvonne Post Your Photos! 5 05-08-2015 04:03 PM
Any Pentax FF camera field testers out there? rawr Pentax Full Frame 46 05-03-2015 04:37 PM
People 4 months in the world derelict Post Your Photos! 3 04-11-2015 06:39 AM
Online Photographer: FF will die out, except... philbaum Pentax Full Frame 401 07-11-2014 05:13 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:24 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top