Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #436
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most non US sellers on this site are asking $US dollars for their lenses.... making them 30% more expensive (in local terms....say Australian , Canadian etc) then they were a couple of years ago (exchange rate again).....

08-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #437
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
However, not all sales with major discounts are clearing stock in anticipation of new products. I purchased both the 60-250 and 50-135 at savings of several hundred dollars on each and they quickly went back up to pre-sale prices.and are still available.
08-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #438
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Then why is it possible for them to carry Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sigma, Zeiss, & Panasoinc?
Ricoh won't match their Dealer Agreement terms.

Did someone rewind the tape or something?
08-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #439
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
However, not all sales with major discounts are clearing stock in anticipation of new products. I purchased both the 60-250 and 50-135 at savings of several hundred dollars on each and they quickly went back up to pre-sale prices.and are still available.
True, but Ricoh has been running a "sale" now for 8 months, and they keep increasing the discounts. If it was a typical 1 or 2 month sale I would have a different opinion.

---------- Post added 08-16-15 at 06:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh won't match their Dealer Agreement terms.

Did someone rewind the tape or something?
An you know this because you have access to these agreements? Great post them so we can get a better understanding. You just criticized me for not being able to prove my comments and then you post this. If you could share copies of these dealer agreements with us it would end a lot of speculation.

08-16-2015, 08:17 PM - 3 Likes   #440
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish I would have had something new for you guys, I have some ideas but I'm stuck in bed with a broken leg - hard to crawl to my workstation and don't have PS on laptop.

08-17-2015, 03:41 AM   #441
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I wish I would have had something new for you guys, I have some ideas but I'm stuck in bed with a broken leg - hard to crawl to my workstation and don't have PS on laptop.
V-A-V that image: !!!
08-17-2015, 03:46 AM   #442

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There may be several Pentax patents related to hybrid EVF/OVF (eg US2007/0019945) that they haven't really put to use anywhere yet. Pic related:

Maybe some of this tech will find it's home in the FF.
Thank you! Good news (even though, to a certain extent, it might just be wishful thinking...).

08-17-2015, 04:11 AM   #443
Veteran Member

oh, there will be EVF ???
08-17-2015, 04:15 AM   #444

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
Will it work?
08-17-2015, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #445
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
There is a patent for a hybrid OVF/EVF. A clear screen that can be turned on and off that sits inside the OVF. Will we see it? Hopefully. The 3D printed FF body has a large prism, so it the model is true to form in that regard it is probable that the OVF is going to be very large and very bright and will have room for this display.
08-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #446

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There may be several Pentax patents related to hybrid EVF/OVF (eg US2007/0019945) that they haven't really put to use anywhere yet. Pic related:

Maybe some of this tech will find it's home in the FF.
I just began reviewing the highly anticipated Sony A7R mk2, arguably one of the most high-powered EVF cameras to date. And I must say, while the innovative features and "advantages" are really piling up, I still treasure my optical viewfinders, both for nostalgic reasons and for practical reasons.

I truly hope that Pentax has some sort of technology along these lines (hybrid viewfinder, is it called?) so that we can benefit from one or the other. Honestly though, if I had to choose, I'd still go with an optical viewfinder. :-)
08-17-2015, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #447

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
I just began reviewing the highly anticipated Sony A7R mk2, arguably one of the most high-powered EVF cameras to date. And I must say, while the innovative features and "advantages" are really piling up, I still treasure my optical viewfinders, both for nostalgic reasons and for practical reasons.

I truly hope that Pentax has some sort of technology along these lines (hybrid viewfinder, is it called?) so that we can benefit from one or the other. Honestly though, if I had to choose, I'd still go with an optical viewfinder. :-)
I would choose optical viewfinder too ! With optical viewfinder, the full camera is like a part of my eye. With EVF, I feel like I am not 'in' the action, there is the screen between action and my eye. Anyway, that's subjective I guess
08-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #448

@gorme: what about a hybrid viewfinder?
08-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #449
Pentaxian

I would want a hybrid viewfinder only if it doesn't significantly compromise the optical part. Which wasn't the case with Sony's attempt
08-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The system only has to detect and track the eye and select a suitable AF point.
Surely, increasing the resolution will make it possible to detect subjects farther away etc. - but for now, I'd say they could work on algorithms, responsiveness, rather than create new problems (e.g. processing power).
Under the hood: A closer look at the Sony a7R II: Digital Photography Review

It is going to take significant processing power regardless.

"One of the new AF area modes we're most excited about is Eye AF in AF-continuous. This mode has an almost uncanny ability to pick an eye out of the scene and maintain focus on it, no matter where it moves around the frame, or in relation to distance from the camera.

Eye AF is assigned to a button on the camera as a sort of focus override option, which makes it an incredibly useful way to focus on human subjects in a variety of situations. You can have your camera set to your favorite AF area mode, but when you wish to focus on a person, you just hold down the Eye AF button, and the camera automatically focuses on the closest eye/face. Have multiple people in the scene and want to tell the camera who to focus on on-the-fly? Just place that person underneath your selected AF point, hold down Eye AF, recompose, and the camera will stick to that person.

This feature is potentially game-changing for wedding photography, newborn photography, and generally photojournalistic and candid photography where you need to react to a subject quickly. Combine this with the focus accuracy of on-sensor AF implementations, and you have a usable way of instantaneously and accurately focusing on the eye of a subject, even at 35mm F2, as in our subject above. This was shot while walking alongside our subject, who herself was walking, and yet the hit rate of shots on our subject's eye in these series of photographs was unprecedentedly high in my experience. And I say that having shot this same exact series with a high end DSLR. Part of this performance, by the way, was also due to the incredibly fast-focusing Sony FE 35mm F1.4 lens, which has a relatively small focus group driven by a fast Direct Drive SSM motor, which we reported on earlier."

"We were able to try out Sony's '4D' continuous AF with this lens on an A7 II, and it was, frankly, jaw-dropping impressive. As long as our subject stayed within the phase-detect area of the frame, horizontal, vertical, and depth tracking was incredibly accurate, fast, and completely silent for an erratically moving subject. Almost every shot was tack sharp on the intended subject matter at F1.4."