Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2015, 02:06 AM   #481
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
They have no OVF.

Instead of using the mirror for creating a image in the OVF, the mirror on SLT reflects light up to the AF-sensor.
The light that goes through the mirror end up on the image sensor which create the image on the EVF.
With the 399 PDAF points on the new 42MP Sony BSI sensor the mirror and separate PDAF sensor of the A99 has become obsolete. Sony might remove it completely and use the extra space for something else. Since the A-mount has been using an EVF now for years, it would be simple to make the A-mount mirrorless and implement all of the A7rII features into the A-mount with a much greater lens selection, bigger battery, & more processing power.

08-20-2015, 02:49 AM   #482
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
With the 399 PDAF points on the new 42MP Sony BSI sensor the mirror and separate PDAF sensor of the A99 has become obsolete. Sony might remove it completely and use the extra space for something else. Since the A-mount has been using an EVF now for years, it would be simple to make the A-mount mirrorless and implement all of the A7rII features into the A-mount with a much greater lens selection, bigger battery, & more processing power.
Why would Sony do that? There is a grip for the A7 and there are A to E-mount adapters. I think A-mount is dead. Sony just hasn't told us yet.
08-20-2015, 03:15 AM   #483
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I agree with D1N0. I think the alpha mount is really dead. Sony has kept it around for legacy reasons for awhile, but as soon as they have an adequate line up of FE mount lenses, they'll let it go completely. You can make a NEX camera as big as you want it if you need room for a bigger battery or better electronics or just better ergonomics, without going back to the A mount.

I obviously don't know what Sony will do, but I think they are done with the alpha mount and won't go back to it.
08-20-2015, 03:27 AM   #484
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Why would Sony do that? There is a grip for the A7 and there are A to E-mount adapters. I think A-mount is dead. Sony just hasn't told us yet.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I agree with D1N0. I think the alpha mount is really dead. Sony has kept it around for legacy reasons for awhile, but as soon as they have an adequate line up of FE mount lenses, they'll let it go completely. You can make a NEX camera as big as you want it if you need room for a bigger battery or better electronics or just better ergonomics, without going back to the A mount. I obviously don't know what Sony will do, but I think they are done with the alpha mount and won't go back to it.
I think we will see one more generation of A-mount. The A99II should be released this year. It was supposed to have been released with the updated 24-70 F/2.8 SSM that came out earlier this year. The A7rII is a great camera, but it still doesn't have the processing power and battery needed to handle 42MP and be really responsive. Putting the A7rII features into the A99II with more processing power, bigger battery, buffer, higher frame rate, & loss-less 14-bit RAW gives Sony an instant powerhouse of a camera with a strong lens line-up. In the long run, I don't see them keeping 2 mounts.

08-20-2015, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #485
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forgive my contrariness but high quality optical viewfinders is a differentiating brand identifier for Pentax. Messing with that would mean a change of brand strategy, not product tactics. Doesn't mean it won't happen but it would be a very big deal if it did.

I'd open my mind to every other camera body then. If the Pentax implementation wasn't the best -
08-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #486
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Forgive my contrariness but high quality optical viewfinders is a differentiating brand identifier for Pentax. Messing with that would mean a change of brand strategy, not product tactics. Doesn't mean it won't happen but it would be a very big deal if it did.

I'd open my mind to every other camera body then. If the Pentax implementation wasn't the best -
Call me the clueless one but what makes a Pentax pentaprism OVF better than a Nikon or Canon pentaprism OVF (sorry, I don't play with those other brands)?
08-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #487

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Call me the clueless one but what makes a Pentax pentaprism OVF better than a Nikon or Canon pentaprism OVF (sorry, I don't play with those other brands)?
I don't know for the pro level DSLR from Canikon, but on entry level DSLR, the coverage of the final frame is 100% on Pentax versus 95-97% on Canikon. So when you shoot with a Canikon from entry level, you can get some disturbing elements in the borders of your frame that were not in your OVF.
Maybe the magnification is better on Pentax too (I did not check this for latest models from canikon).

08-20-2015, 07:32 AM   #488
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since fall is just over a month away I wonder how many will cry doom when we finally get to see the upcoming FF, and what their reasons for doom will be.
08-20-2015, 07:38 AM   #489
Veteran Member

Maybe this is totally un-related, but after the Pentax 70-200 release has been delayed, now I see that Nikon is doing something similar with it's release of it's revised 24-70 f2.8 lens:

QuoteQuote:
Nikon August 20, announced that it would postpone the launch of the interchangeable lens "AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f / 2.8E ED VR" until October.

Initial announcement of August 4, the model has been on sale on August 27. And that it takes time to final adjustments towards released.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150820_716942.html
I'm left wondering: what's so special about October in Japan?
08-20-2015, 07:41 AM - 3 Likes   #490
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Since fall is just over a month away I wonder how many will cry doom when we finally get to see the upcoming FF, and what their reasons for doom will be.
Mostly all the doomsayers. There are more imagined reasons to predict doom than there are fixes for these reasons.Doomsayers are aligned with the mighty kingdom of doom. The sign over the door , reads "Put aside all optimism when you enter here, and put on your doom face, there is nothing a doomsayer hates more than a happy face." From what I understand you can't see the Kingdom of Happy Go Lucky Optimism from the kingdom of Doom, but they obviously have internet connections there in the depressing darkness.
08-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #491
Site Supporter

If it hits my price range and feature expectation I'll go ahead and get one. Doom be damned! I'll even do it with a smile on my face!
08-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #492
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
If it hits my price range and feature expectation I'll go ahead and get one. Doom be damned! I'll even do it with a smile on my face!
I hope you made the sign of the smiley when you said that,.
It wards off the minions of the Kingdom of Doom.

Here, I'll make one for you. that one was mine, this one is for you.->
08-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #493
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I hope you made the sign of the smiley when you said that,.
It wards off the minions of the Kingdom of Doom.

Here, I'll make one for you. that one was mine, this one is for you.->
Awesome!
08-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #494
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gorme Quote
I don't know for the pro level DSLR from Canikon, but on entry level DSLR, the coverage of the final frame is 100% on Pentax versus 95-97% on Canikon. So when you shoot with a Canikon from entry level, you can get some disturbing elements in the borders of your frame that were not in your OVF.
Maybe the magnification is better on Pentax too (I did not check this for latest models from canikon).
Those cameras you're comparing to, by and large, don't have pentaprisms. All of Canon's and Nikon's upper-mid to high end cameras use pentaprisms for their OVF. That's what I'm curious about... not the stuff they stick in a D3300 or whatever.
08-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #495
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Those cameras you're comparing to, by and large, don't have pentaprisms. All of Canon's and Nikon's upper-mid to high end cameras use pentaprisms for their OVF. That's what I'm curious about... not the stuff they stick in a D3300 or whatever.
I'm sure if Canikons are 100% coverage on their high end models, Pentax will be the proverbial 110%.