Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2015, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #511

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Why would Sony do that? There is a grip for the A7 and there are A to E-mount adapters. I think A-mount is dead. Sony just hasn't told us yet.
I was at a Sony media event recently to test the A7R II. They did tell me that "the best A-mount camera ever is the A7R II". That is an approximate but direct quote from their uppermost USA folks, plus a couple engineers flown in from Japan for the event.

However, no straight answers were given when asked specifically, "does this mean the A-mount will never receive a new body, ever..."

We also asked them about their historic use of the number 7 to denote a prosumer line, and the number 9 to denote a flagship pro line. They did say they were "still keeping that tradition" I took that to mean, holy crap, what then could an A9 / A9R / A9S be...?" Or in other words, if this is what Sony can do with the number seven, Canon and Nikon should be shaking in their boots in fear that they use the number nine again before they're ready to compete with it.

To be honest though, I will always prefer an optical viewfinder. I'm an old dog and EVF is the one new trick I'm going to leave off my to-do list for the foreseeable future.

Sony themselves have admitted that, if you want the best optical quality, a full-frame mirrorless body and dedicated lens will not really save you that much weight or space. Sure, the original A7 was tiny, but that created its own issues with shake and heat. The A7R II weighs about as much as a Nikon D750 or Nikon Df, both which have plenty of bells and whistles.

I would love to see Pentax create an OVF, FF body that weighs more like a D750 / Df than a D810 / 5D mk3. Once you save those few ounces, you start to realize there's not much you can't do with an EVF camera that you can't do with an OVF camera by simply turning on live view.

In other words, all of this is a moot point. If camera companies really wanted to, they could do both without really adding more than a few ounces.

Considering Pentax' history for big, bright viewfinders, I suspect they'll be the ones whose cold, dead hands you'll have to pry optical prisms from. And to that I say, huzzah!

08-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #512
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
Considering Pentax' history for big, bright viewfinders, I suspect they'll be the ones whose cold, dead hands you'll have to pry optical prisms from.
I think so too. They may find some way to incorporate more digital info into their OVF's, but fundamentally it would be nice if an optical prism still drove the viewfinder.
08-24-2015, 11:03 PM   #513
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I very much agree on this.

To be honest though, I will always prefer an optical viewfinder. I'm an old dog and EVF is the one new trick I'm going to leave off my to-do list for the foreseeable future.

I would love to see Pentax create an OVF, FF body that weighs more like a D750 / Df than a D810 / 5D mk3. Once you save those few ounces, you start to realize there's not much you can't do with an EVF camera that you can't do with an OVF camera by simply turning on live view.

In other words, all of this is a moot point. If camera companies really wanted to, they could do both without really adding more than a few ounces.

Considering Pentax' history for big, bright viewfinders, I suspect they'll be the ones whose cold, dead hands you'll have to pry optical prisms from. And to that I say, huzzah!
08-24-2015, 11:57 PM   #514

Photos: Gallery
I have been wondering and searching for a long time: did anybody do even a the draft of a study to prove the harmlessness of using EVFs?

For years, we've been told to stay a good distance from screen to avoid eye fatigue/damage, and now some people put theirs against LCD screens...

08-25-2015, 01:23 AM   #515
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
(...)

For years, we've been told to stay a good distance from screen to avoid eye fatigue/damage, and now some people put theirs against LCD screens...
There are converging lenses between the EVF's LCD or OLED panel and you eye .
08-25-2015, 02:53 AM   #516
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was at a Sony media event recently to test the A7R II. They did tell me that "the best A-mount camera ever is the A7R II". That is an approximate but direct quote from their uppermost USA folks, plus a couple engineers flown in from Japan for the event.

However, no straight answers were given when asked specifically, "does this mean the A-mount will never receive a new body, ever..."

We also asked them about their historic use of the number 7 to denote a prosumer line, and the number 9 to denote a flagship pro line. They did say they were "still keeping that tradition" I took that to mean, holy crap, what then could an A9 / A9R / A9S be...?" Or in other words, if this is what Sony can do with the number seven, Canon and Nikon should be shaking in their boots in fear that they use the number nine again before they're ready to compete with it.

Sony themselves have admitted that, if you want the best optical quality, a full-frame mirrorless body and dedicated lens will not really save you that much weight or space. Sure, the original A7 was tiny, but that created its own issues with shake and heat. The A7R II weighs about as much as a Nikon D750 or Nikon Df, both which have plenty of bells and whistles.

I agree. I don't personally the "helps" that EVFs offer in their viewfinder and just want a clean, bright, natural looking image there -- something that a good pentaprim OVF offers nicely.

As for the size or cost savings of mirrorless cameras, they just don't seem to be there at this point. For similar quality/performance you will have similar size and cost between these models -- particularly once you factor in your lens, which is going to be pretty similar in size for a given sensor size and maximum aperture.

Anyway, I don't think Pentax is going for an EVF in this situation and I'm totally fine with that.
08-25-2015, 05:42 AM   #517
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Agree... it's really hard to give up a good EVF and certainly it will be even better (larger) on the FF camera. I suppose the holy grail would be on-sensor AF while maintaining viewing through an EVF. Maybe this variable transmission mirror is the key???

08-25-2015, 05:42 AM   #518

... Once you save those few ounces, you start to realize there's not much you can't do with an EVF camera that you can't do with an OVF camera by simply turning on live view. ...
!
I probably would agree if I had not used the Sony A7-II in my last shootings. I could not imagine using a EVF, however, now I realize I have use for both systems. Working in daylight conditions with EVF/Sony A7 is a joy, and just clicking on the AF button with manual focus lenses and then have a zoom-in function to focus is definitely the faster and more elegant way than removing my eye from the OVF, switching to LV, bringing my eyes in adequate distance to the lcd, and then zooming in. Furthermore, switching to LV does make distracting noise especially in weddings. With the Sony A7-II the shutter sound is heard when the picture is already taken, so I don't mind when my subjects hear the noise and look to the source because I have already what I want ;-)

As always, it's just a matter of taste and tooling one can work with best. For landscape, I find OVF better, let alone the image quality of a sensor thats not always online. Or with concerts pictures with fast moving singers where the lag of the EVF is not tolerable imho.
08-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #519
Pentaxian

According to Asahi Man on Dpreview, October the 6th will be full of frames :-)
08-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #520

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Does it mean 42 Mpix also ? lol
08-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #521

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Do you have a link to this discussion ?
08-25-2015, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #522
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gorme Quote
Do you have a link to this discussion ?
October,the sixth: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
08-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #523
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
Does it mean 42 Mpix also ? lol
The sensational 42 Mpix BSI sensor will not be available to Pentax at that time. May be it will be an official announcement with true prototype (not a 3D printout) and definitive specs ?
08-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #524
Pentaxian

Great news indeed !!!
And i don't see why Sony's last sensor would not be in the feast !
08-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #525

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Great news indeed !!!
And i don't see why Sony's last sensor would not be in the feast !
I have an approximate idea of the dxomark of the sensor (thanks to the recent A7RII tests), and it should 'kick ass' to use kenspo's expression
Hope it will be in the FF !