Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2015, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #616
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
A smartphone with an embedded 24x36 camera...
(...)
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
.....attached to a monster 150-450mm lens - now that would be a sight
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Wouldn't that look somewhat like a Sony?
Or an Olympus

(Olympus Air A01 + Olympus 4/3 --> µ4/3 adapter + Olympus EC-20 teleconverter + Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f/2.8)

Pictures from http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/labo/20150402_695796.html

09-03-2015, 06:26 AM   #617
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I will be a touch disappointed if the FF still basically has the same AF system as the K-3/K-3 II/645Z. That AF system, while competent, is two years old now. Time and technology marches on. Plus, unless modified for FF deployment, the K-3 AF will have less than optimal frame coverage on a FF.

Not long to wait to find out for sure, I guess.
My guess is that SAFOX is dead and that we see a new AF system introduced. Ricoh has filed some patents on new AF technology, switchable mirror, & hybrid OVF so I hope we see refined versions of this technology in the FF body.
09-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #618
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that olympus concept is really really cool
09-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #619
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Wouldn't it be odd if the new Pentax full frame focused better in live view than through the OVF?
Sony on sensor PDAF are offering a great sensor coverage and number of AF points but are not faster than a std PDAF system. And it seems that it's doing a pretty average job in low light from A7RII review I saw.

09-03-2015, 06:43 AM   #620
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
Sony on sensor PDAF are offering a great sensor coverage and number of AF points but are not faster than a std PDAF system. And it seems that it's doing a pretty average job in low light from A7RII review I saw.
Sony Alpha 7R II can match or beat DSLR low light AF performance: Digital Photography Review

Post a link to the review you are referring to.
09-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #621
Pentaxian

Searching but I think it was digitalrev Hands On.

Found it around 7:00

Last edited by Glorfindelrb; 09-03-2015 at 07:04 AM.
09-03-2015, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #622
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mmmm??

-2EV with an f1.4 lens impressive for a MilC not so much for a dlsr

There point of valid for the ability to utlise wider aperture to get more light but then again a K3 will focus down to -3ev with most lens

As all lens irrelevant of 'speed' focus using open aperture and most lens are not f1.4 I'm not sure of D previews conclusion as to the A7rii advantage over Dslr's

It would seem better to have a sensor that can do -3EV with an f2.8 baseline sensor than one that needs an f1.4 lens to approach -2ev

Lets see the test done again with say the kit lens on all bodies !

You may think I'm being frivolous but when did you last see a 70-200 F1.4 or even a 135 F1.4 ?

Low light continuous shooting is general used for indoor sports shooting you are not going to be using a 50mm f1.4 for that so a silly test they did as it has no use case.
09-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #623
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the only Full Frame camera they are releasing has the 42 MP sensor it wil be to expensive for me and many others. The A7s is now at 1799, thats a little closer to affordable, I wouldn't be opposed to a 12 MP full frame camera.

09-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #624
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Mmmm??

-2EV with an f1.4 lens impressive for a MilC not so much for a dlsr

There point of valid for the ability to utlise wider aperture to get more light but then again a K3 will focus down to -3ev with most lens

As all lens irrelevant of 'speed' focus using open aperture and most lens are not f1.4 I'm not sure of D previews conclusion as to the A7rii advantage over Dslr's

It would seem better to have a sensor that can do -3EV with an f2.8 baseline sensor than one that needs an f1.4 lens to approach -2ev

Lets see the test done again with say the kit lens on all bodies !

You may think I'm being frivolous but when did you last see a 70-200 F1.4 or even a 135 F1.4 ?

Low light continuous shooting is general used for indoor sports shooting you are not going to be using a 50mm f1.4 for that so a silly test they did as it has no use case.
Ricoh claims metering on the K-3 down to -3EV on a 50mm F/1.4 lens. I believe AF performance is with the same lens.
09-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #625
Forum Member

C'mon. Do you have a serious review? DPR is more fanboy children at play with funny little tools, but little know-how.

Basically they state the latest Sony doesnt really focus anywhere near as well as modern entry Level DSLRs for a tenth of the cost.
Another typical Sony fail (and not the only one in that camera).

A K-S2 focusses down to -3 EV with AF sensors looking through a F5.6 optical path, so they do this with any kit lens. Those SAFOX sensors are that sensitive.
The Sony sensor obviously is not. It seems to suck big time.

With the Sony on sensor AF they only get to -2 when sticking to a F1.4 lens. That is a whopping 5 stops (!) worse performance on the Sony on an average users kit lens as that means it only works down to +3 using a darker F5.6 lens. And still 4 full stops worse Performance than a K-S2 on a relatively fast 300mm F4 prime.

I am actually disturbed that Sony has not managed to even get remotely near average entry level DSLR performance after so many years of testing and beta-models (they call them Alpha).
09-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #626
Pentaxian

The on sensor PDAF is the size of a single pixel when your traditional PDAF, even losing 50% of the light through a semi transparent main mirror, concentrate the light equivalent to A LOT of pixels. It's a less precise position, you have less points but with way more light.
09-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #627
Site Supporter

Very good points Havelock & Glorfindelrb
According to what's been announced by Sony as opposed to what's been tested here and there, A7rII's autofocus performance and Sony's announcements are bad jokes.
09-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #628
Loyal Site Supporter

I know it is foolish to get involved in these silly spoutings of opinion but since there was a request for another review here is a link to Luminous Landscape which is frequently very fair to Pentax equipment. https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-a7rii-review-and-hands-on-report/. There are plenty more but anyone who is really curious can find them easilty. Why can't we just enjoy these great cameras without acting like high school football fans? The A7Rii is an excellent camera. I hope and expect that the Pentax FF will be as good or better. I have the Sony already and plan to pick up the Pentax FF if it is what we all hope. Let's just enjoy the cameras we have and the fun of anticipation of what is coming.
09-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #629
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The long-expected Pentax 24x36 digital camera will eventually be a phone ??? !!!

I wouldn't mind if my next dslr add call and sms. Then i would carry the camera with me even more often.

A camera with added phone bi function will be a way better tool for me then a phone with added camera bi function.

But seriously, i will be more then happy to get a Pentax FF without phone function as well.
09-03-2015, 03:26 PM   #630
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I know it is foolish to get involved in these silly spoutings of opinion but since there was a request for another review here is a link to Luminous Landscape which is frequently very fair to Pentax equipment. https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-a7rii-review-and-hands-on-report/. There are plenty more but anyone who is really curious can find them easilty. Why can't we just enjoy these great cameras without acting like high school football fans? The A7Rii is an excellent camera. I hope and expect that the Pentax FF will be as good or better. I have the Sony already and plan to pick up the Pentax FF if it is what we all hope. Let's just enjoy the cameras we have and the fun of anticipation of what is coming.
Don't put words in my mouth. I also think that's a great camera but I was just rectifying the belief that on sensor PDAF were superior at std PDAF in any situation and faster. It's not faster and not as good in low light (even if it may be well implemented in this case, it's not as good by design) but allows more points and very precise positions (that allow eye tracking, ...). I came to look at it after questioning myself if a single semi-translucent mirror and on sensor PDAF were a viable design option for DSLR using the 42MP sony sensor. The fact that std PDAF concentrate more area than on sensor ones was the big advantage of the std pdaf against my idea.

It's not very fair to be called "high school football fan" for that.

Last edited by Glorfindelrb; 09-03-2015 at 03:33 PM.