Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #811
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just in case you missed this one ...

National Rumor Service (NRS) Identifies Anomaly Over Pentaxica | New Camera News

09-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #812
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
No one really knows, since a Pentax FF does not exist.

Image cropping of APS-C lenses mounted on a Pentax FF will most likely work in the same way as it does for Nikon or Sony FF - there will be a menu in-camera titled something like (eg in Sony A7R): 'APS-C Size Capture' that lets you choose 'On | Off | Auto'. If set to 'Auto' the camera will attempt to detect that a crop lens has been mounted and crop the image size recorded automatically. If set to 'Off', you will be able to shoot a crop lens as if it were a FF lens. Nikon (eg in the D610) has a menu setting called 'Auto DX Crop' with settings 'On | Off' that does a similar thing.
Well Said...

If Pentax were slick (I mean REALLY SLICK) the APS-C function would adjust the crop to maximize the available real estate AND possibly moderate the vignette mathematically in the corners, similar to what we do in post-production. Hence, rather than the arbitrary "18mp crop" (or whatever), the profile of each EXIF identifiable lens would generate a crop "sized" for the focal length and crop effects of that lens, at that setting, dynamically... Maxing out the effective MP. 18mp is not enough to mitigate (make us excited about the "auto" APS-C crop feature for BIF shooters).. Cool but complicated programming, but a potential competition killer. The other guys aren't even close to it, since they hype and Push FF as the only "Pro" solution. Pure photographic testosterone and hype.... Get the crop to 30+MP of 42, and I'll buy 2. but 18 is second class for Wildlife/BIF shooters. K-3 unleashed many of us.... Let's not step backward. If the crop is 18mp, I'll wait for the K-? that is 30+ mp (an APSC with 4/3 x 16mp pixel density)...
09-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #813
Veteran Member

I also expect at least a 1.2x crop factor for some lenses. *Looking at my DA560*
09-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #814
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
From an EU Pentax distributor, I heard the FF will come in about 4 months.which if true is faster than expected--(whenever that was
now just to find a Sony source to see if the 42MP BSI was sold to Pentax!!
The distributor seems to have been overoptimistic. Better change in 4 months to at cp+ World premiere show CP+2016 Feb 25th. Because what a dreary cp+ it would be with the FF not there yet.

09-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #815
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The distributor seems to have been overoptimistic. Better change in 4 months to at cp+ World premiere show CP+2016 Feb 25th. Because what a dreary cp+ it would be with the FF not there yet.
After the mock-up this year, there will be a prototype presented at CP+ next year.
09-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #816
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
After the mock-up this year, there will be a prototype presented at CP+ next year.
And the final camera will be out in 2022
09-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #817
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
I also expect at least a 1.2x crop factor for some lenses. *Looking at my DA560*
One problem with several different crop ratios is how to represent the different frame sizes in the viewfinder. One extra APS-c frame permanently etched in the viewfinder is an easy solution. But several of them will be confusing, which one should I use now?

Unless of course they use some kind of electronic see-through display that can superimpose complex information on top of the optical viewfinder. That would be cool.

09-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #818
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
One problem with several different crop ratios is how to represent the different frame sizes in the viewfinder. One extra APS-c frame permanently etched in the viewfinder is an easy solution. But several of them will be confusing, which one should I use now?

Unless of course they use some kind of electronic see-through display that can superimpose complex information on top of the optical viewfinder. That would be cool.
One more reason mirrorless and evf would be just so much more effective.
09-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #819
Pentaxian

lcd transparent overlay, or projection (like is done with af points).
09-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #820
Pentaxian

LCD transparent overlay with a greyed outer zone, as with Nikon cameras.
09-20-2015, 03:33 AM   #821
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
Well Said...

If Pentax were slick (I mean REALLY SLICK) the APS-C function would adjust the crop to maximize the available real estate AND possibly moderate the vignette mathematically in the corners, similar to what we do in post-production. Hence, rather than the arbitrary "18mp crop" (or whatever), the profile of each EXIF identifiable lens would generate a crop "sized" for the focal length and crop effects of that lens, at that setting, dynamically... Maxing out the effective MP. 18mp is not enough to mitigate (make us excited about the "auto" APS-C crop feature for BIF shooters).. Cool but complicated programming, but a potential competition killer. The other guys aren't even close to it, since they hype and Push FF as the only "Pro" solution. Pure photographic testosterone and hype.... Get the crop to 30+MP of 42, and I'll buy 2. but 18 is second class for Wildlife/BIF shooters. K-3 unleashed many of us.... Let's not step backward. If the crop is 18mp, I'll wait for the K-? that is 30+ mp (an APSC with 4/3 x 16mp pixel density)...
- Lifting vignetting shadows in camera will reduce DR at the edges and corners. Vignetting sometimes gives a nice intended touch to the image. Vignetting compensation should be overridable, but why spend time on location on setting this details in a menu?
- Choosing crop factor is about weighting corner performance against needs. In portraits people would accept lower corner performance then in landscapes. Who would want to spend time on location considering that in addition to everything else?
- Cropping gives us freedom to choose aspect ratio within the acceptable performance of the image circle. Why spend time on location considering this too?

I don't understand why anyone* would use the auto-crop function. Its better to choose aspect ratio, crop factor and vignetting compensation in the post process. It gives you more time to focus on important things like lights, angles, composition lines, look for the right moment, choosing DoF and so on. This is things you cant compensate or choose in the post process.

* Ok, if i lend the camera to my mother or others that have to be told where the shutter button is, then i probably will set the camera in full auto with auto crop and jpeg just for the convenience.
09-20-2015, 04:17 AM   #822
Pentaxian

Just give us 1:1 crop with marks (or complete blackout) in VF.
Just for this I'd buy it (but later, too expensive probably at first).
09-20-2015, 05:58 AM   #823
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
LCD transparent overlay with a greyed outer zone, as with Nikon cameras.
Yes there are solutions but are they free to use?
09-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #824

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
What are you discussing based on wrong weights?
(edit: related to normheads posting) The 750 is 840g and the K-3 800g incl. battery...
You're right I really must get around to updating my gear chart to confirm whether companies list their weights with or without batteries. That's what I get for trying to standardize by only using B&H's listed number; even they differ.

Either way, my point is that the Nikon D750 and Canon 6D are noticeably lighter than the Nikon D810 and Canon 5Ds, however it is obviously not the sensor that weighs any different. So in theory, Pentax could use whatever sensor they want, and make the camera weigh whatever they want based on how big and bright of a prism they want to make, and how robustly weather sealed they want to make it. And given Pentax' reputation for amazing viewfinders and weather sealing, I don't expect the FF camera to be a D750-like body, but more a D810-like body.

And as per the previous discussion, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, if I can use the camera in all kinds of crazy weather, and enjoy a big bright viewfinder in a modern DSLR while so many others are compromising and making smaller OVFs or focusing on EVF technology instead.

:-)
09-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #825
Pentaxian

Pentax uses a full magnesium alloy body, instead of just a frame and ibis will also make it heavier.