Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2015, 03:45 AM   #226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
FF that will show you every single flaw in your lenses and magnify every weakness.
Actually aps-c magnifies weaknesses like colour fringing. because it is a crop sensor you magnify every weakness of the lens by about 2.25, so lenses will show relatively less purple and green fringing in full frame. Most lenses will do better on the format they were meant for. Corners on wide angle are a different matter. Just pull out some old tests from the seventies-eighties-nineties to determine which lenses you need. Lenses that were good in the day, will be good now. The main difference are the coatings. Rendering is different (more micro-contrast) on modern coated lenses.

07-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And besides, if you use a fairly poor lens (unsharp, lots of CA, fringing) on a 50MP FF, then resize it down to 10MP, wouldn't that give you the same image quality as using that lens on a 10MP camera? Or better, but I doubt it would be worse.
I don't really want high MP, because then it becomes a struggle to store and backup photos, even to work with those large files. But eh, I won't be getting a FF anytime soon, anyway, so what do I care
07-30-2015, 07:11 AM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The larger files are not that big a deal with a modern computer. I played around yesterday with A7rii raw file a Londoner had shared from his new A7rii. It was easy to handle in both LR and PS. It did not seem any more cumbersome than a K-3 file. Storage space has become ridiculously cheap and fast.
07-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #229
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since Pentax does not introduce a model of the month club camera selection ala Canon and Nikon, the FF should be the best resolution and technology available. It will be some time before a follow on model. Maximum practical resolution, top notch auto focus, fast processor etc. It would be nice if the Pentax FF attracted some new Pentax users and encouraged more third party support in the future, especially lenses.

07-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #230
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Actually aps-c magnifies weaknesses like colour fringing. because it is a crop sensor you magnify every weakness of the lens by about 2.25, so lenses will show relatively less purple and green fringing in full frame. Most lenses will do better on the format they were meant for. Corners on wide angle are a different matter. Just pull out some old tests from the seventies-eighties-nineties to determine which lenses you need. Lenses that were good in the day, will be good now. The main difference are the coatings. Rendering is different (more micro-contrast) on modern coated lenses.
This is the age old argument. In the end, APS-C and full frame put pressure on lenses in different ways. Highly-pixel dense APS-C sensors put a lot of pressure on the center of a lens and yes, they can magnify aberrations. On the other hand, full frame sensors put more pressure on borders of lenses and there are plenty of lenses that vignette fiercely on full frame that are passable on APS-C. If you are shooting portraits, vignetting and border sharpness may not be a big deal, but if you shoot a lot of landscapes, not all wide angles are great on full frame because of these issues.
07-30-2015, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is the age old argument. In the end, APS-C and full frame put pressure on lenses in different ways. Highly-pixel dense APS-C sensors put a lot of pressure on the center of a lens and yes, they can magnify aberrations. On the other hand, full frame sensors put more pressure on borders of lenses and there are plenty of lenses that vignette fiercely on full frame that are passable on APS-C. If you are shooting portraits, vignetting and border sharpness may not be a big deal, but if you shoot a lot of landscapes, not all wide angles are great on full frame because of these issues.
Wide angle is an area that has much improved over the years. But I'm still curious about my M-20mm f4 on a FF. It's supposed to have moustache distortion . I would agree that for landscape an general wide-angle modern glass is more useful. But for close-up and portrait work old glass is still great.
07-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Wide angle is an area that has much improved over the years. But I'm still curious about my M-20mm f4 on a FF. It's supposed to have moustache distortion . I would agree that for landscape an general wide-angle modern glass is more useful. But for close-up and portrait work old glass is still great.
If you look at Canon's wide angle primes on full frame, even the modern ones aren't all that great. To find something like Nikon's 14-24 you pay a lot of money. Certainly you won't find much like that in the really old glass range.

07-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #233
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Then you know more then me. The summer is also over soon btw.
weatherwise the summer has not arrived yet here in DK !!! so there is still time
07-30-2015, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #234
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you look at Canon's wide angle primes on full frame, even the modern ones aren't all that great. To find something like Nikon's 14-24 you pay a lot of money. Certainly you won't find much like that in the really old glass range.
Pentax only had a FA 20-35mm F4 and an F 17-28mm 3.5 4.5 fisheye. I expect they will come with a Pentaxified copy of the Tamron 15-30 F2.8 Which is a very good lens.
07-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #235
Pentaxian

And also with a Tokina-inspired 24-70mm f/2.8 which seems so good, even if a bit heavy
07-30-2015, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #236
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
weatherwise the summer has not arrived yet here in DK !!! so there is still time
Sorry, you missed it. July 21, from 13:22 to 14:53.
08-07-2015, 11:47 PM   #237

Still waiting for ff pentax
08-08-2015, 12:19 AM   #238
Veteran Member

Its still due for late october/early november. Now its august..so of course you'll have to wait.
08-08-2015, 12:46 AM   #239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
late october/early november
Hmm. So now late October is turning into early November.

5-9 November is the Salon de la Photo show in Paris, and Ricoh will be exhibiting there. Maybe the FF will be formally launched in Japan first, and then make it's public debut at Salon de la Photo?
08-08-2015, 01:03 AM   #240
Veteran Member

I just said both, since i dont know exact date yet. No worries..It will come