Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #361
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My bet is that group who bought Pentax in the Hoya pricing scheme days are going to be very unhappy. Small numbers of users with very specific needs not met might grumble a bit (e.g. Bah - no flash).

And the people who have been calling for a FF for a decade - but who wouldn't have bought one anyway whenever it came out - are going to continue to complain.
Then there are those that expect Ricoh/Pentax to do the same for FF that they have done on MF, sell better specified cameras for much lower price than competition.

08-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #362
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Just remember Kenneth often refers to the long-term direction Ricoh has set for the brand, not just the next body or lens.
and judging that Kenspos age is about 30 something,he has Time to wait!! but most of the PF users I imagine are over the 1/2 way mark & time is not as abundant fro us

NEWs FLASH Sept.2031 Pentax finally releases its FF DSLR.... the remaining 10 PF members/ Pentax users worldwide are Not Disappointed
08-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #363
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Then there are those that expect Ricoh/Pentax to do the same for FF that they have done on MF, sell better specified cameras for much lower price than competition.
As long as they don't spend any money on marketing they can still sell more camera for less money.

Oh. Wait.
08-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #364
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Looking at the size of the D-FA* 70-200mm I get the feeling Rioch is moving away from the compact system and going for speed. I think the people who bought into the system for its size will be disappointed, but its going to be hard for DSLRs to compete with that model against mirrorless systems like Fuji. I'm guessing we see bigger, faster, & more expensive. D-FA* 85mm F/1.8, D-FA* 135mm F/1.8, A 50mm F/1.2.....
A problem is, the current customers have self-selected for small, elegant and slow. Otherwise we'd already be using CaNikon or would have gone over to the EVF side.

If they go big and fast they HAVE TO BE building for a different customer set, so by definition the current customers will potentially be ambivalent, at best.

08-15-2015, 12:46 AM   #365
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A problem is, the current customers have self-selected for small, elegant and slow. Otherwise we'd already be using CaNikon or would have gone over to the EVF side.
Not necessarily. Among loyal Pentax customers are the ones who did not want to spend the money to "switch" to a different mount. So, guess who self selected Pentax.
08-15-2015, 02:03 AM   #366
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Not necessarily. Among loyal Pentax customers are the ones who did not want to spend the money to "switch" to a different mount. So, guess who self selected Pentax.
Mmm APS-C will stay compact as it is so I see no reason to complain. It is not a change, it is plus. Why would one complain when there's something more to chose from ?
FF will be bazookas among other thing but Ricoh isn't stupid, they will get us primes including relatively small à la Nikon f/1.8. Just not the first thing they need.

As for Pentax DNA, it is not limited to small and compact. I do not think a second that FA* serie had anything to do with small and compact.

In the end you a system with APS and FF with a selection of lenses and cameras ranging from small/compact to big fast and you mix and match all of those 'cos the mount is the same.

Last edited by thibs; 08-15-2015 at 02:24 AM.
08-15-2015, 03:14 AM   #367
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm APS-C will stay compact as it is so I see no reason to complain. It is not a change, it is plus. Why would one complain when there's something more to chose from ? FF will be bazookas among other thing but Ricoh isn't stupid, they will get us primes including relatively small à la Nikon f/1.8. Just not the first thing they need. As for Pentax DNA, it is not limited to small and compact. I do not think a second that FA* serie had anything to do with small and compact. In the end you a system with APS and FF with a selection of lenses and cameras ranging from small/compact to big fast and you mix and match all of those 'cos the mount is the same.
I guess you replied to the previous post, otherwise I don't understand.

08-15-2015, 03:31 AM   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I would really, really like to see the specs for the 24-70, I think that will be a deciding factor for me. I keep going back & forth, I want FF (not sure why) but not sure I want the weight penalty over the k-3. If the 24-70 is comparable to the DA*16-50 I'm OK with that but much heavier and I think maybe I stay with the k-3II for now.

If the only way we get FF is to leave the Pentax DNA behind I guess Kenspo's "some will be disappointed" might ring true.
The DA* 16-50 F2.8 is 595 gram and the famous FA* 28-70 F2.8 is 800 gram. I don't expect the new 24-70 will be lighter or comparable in weight to that 16-50.
08-15-2015, 03:37 AM   #369
Pentaxian

It will probably weigh about 1100 grams. It's not a walk around lens. It is a pro lens. Not something to take with you on a city trip. physics alone will demand such a size.
08-15-2015, 04:51 AM   #370
Veteran Member

We don't need all Pentax lenses to be small and light. Few compact good primes (limiteds) and a relativly compact body (it'll still be a FF with SR so not so compact). I'm ok with other lenses being fast and competing with CaNikon premium series.
08-15-2015, 05:06 AM   #371
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The 90% of Pentax customers who will scream bloody murder if a professional-grade FF is priced 15% below other professional FF bodies.
08-15-2015, 05:18 AM   #372
Pentaxian

Because the K-2 will be more expensive than the Sony A7 was when it came out ...
08-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #373
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Because the K-2 will be more expensive than the Sony A7 was when it came out ...
So was the D810.
08-15-2015, 05:51 AM   #374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I' expecting a $2,500 +/- body. The A7rII is able to command a premium because of its 4K video capabilities and it ability to adapt so many lenses. Hopefully Ricoh has a version of the 42mp sensor or at least a newer version of the 36MP.

42MP sensor
Socionext Image processor
7 fps
New PDAF with coverage like the A7rII (399 points)
Hybrid OVF
1.3mp RGB color meter
08-15-2015, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #375
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As someone who does nature photography, insects and birds, as well as major cities tours (Rome, Venice, Berlin Prague, London), all I want is a 60mp full-frame camera and a 10mm to 1000mm fixed f2.8 zoom with 1:1 macro capacity - - - that is pocketable. Is that too much to ask?