Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #466
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
Ironically, we're discussing one of the biggest drawbacks of EVFs, and the main reason why we still prefer OVFs. Not sure if you caught that.

It was mentioned that Pentax had a patent for some sort of hybrid viewfinder technology,
I just pop in every now and then to see what's happening... I generally don't look back for the explanation of why it's happening.

I dropped in and noticed what the discussion had become. I mean with no real news to talk about it may as well be discussing EVFs. It's got no where else to go at the moment.

Carry on.

08-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #467
Veteran Member

IF i knew anything about EVF, i couldn't share it now anyway. That is for all specs around the new FF. I guess someone will start the leaks soon enough.
08-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #468
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And if you didn't know anything about an EVF. Could you share that?
08-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #469
Veteran Member

Haha..no!

08-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #470
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Another FF discussion gets taken over by EVF enthusiasts.. what a surprise. I guess it's just natural to discuss what's out there, as opposed to what's an imaginary proposition, except for a few Pentax engineers, who don't participate in the forum gabfests.

The first rule of EVF club is "tell everyone about EVF club."
Dead on, Norm.
08-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #471
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Another FF discussion gets taken over by EVF enthusiasts.. what a surprise. I guess it's just natural to discuss what's out there, as opposed to what's an imaginary proposition, except for a few Pentax engineers, who don't participate in the forum gabfests.

The first rule of EVF club is "tell everyone about EVF club."
And EVFs have been just a few years away from replacing OVF since I joined this forum...
08-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #472
Veteran Member

Espacenet - Bibliographic data Patent Search
"The single-lens-reflex digital camera is configured to allow the object image displayed by the electroluminescent display and the optical image formed on the focusing screen to be viewed through the viewfinder."
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: New Ricoh Patent - Adjustable Translucent Mirror
"Light transmission rate is adjustable from 50 to 100%, i.e., reflective rate is from 50 to 0%."

08-19-2015, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #473
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So is EVF the derivative of roentarre's Law?*
  1. "As a Pentax Forum discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Full Frame approaches 1"
    1. "As a Pentax Full Frame discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving EVF or MILC approaches 1"
08-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #474

Personally I am also a traditional OVF fan (e.g. especially in the larger size of 35mm film or more preferably medium format).

But assuming (I don't have personal experience) that there are some great electroluminescent display tools available such as focus peaking, out of contrast range highlighting etc. Just for fun- consider if an adjustable translucent mirror were implemented with 2 user defined pre-settings allowed; one for the default in OVF (e.g. high reflective optical, low transmission electroluminescence) and a second setting (e.g. low reflective optical, and high electroluminescence) activated by the instantaneous Pentax finger-lever spring-return depth-of-field switch. There might eventually be some nice potential in such an implementation. Hmmm?
08-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #475
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
activated by the instantaneous Pentax thumb-lever spring-return depth-of-field switch
But I'm a traditionalist. I want my Optical depth of field preview / meter switch. Waaaaaa.

(Actually, I'm serious - use a button).
08-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #476

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But I'm a traditionalist. I want my Optical depth of field preview / meter switch. Waaaaaa.

(Actually, I'm serious - use a button).
Agreed! I much prefer to keep my K-5 preview dial on 'optical' rather than 'digital' as well. And personally, I'd love it if your law concept (lol btw) regarding the length of discussion could provide movement toward 1 as being a modern Pentax sensor packaged in an LX concept

Was just thinking of the scenario if it were set to 'digital'. Nevertheless any easy intuitive to reach button could suffice. The more interesting aspect is what type of benefits might be possible being able to adjust (or perhaps better yet- quickly toggle) the reflectance / illuminance blend of such a DSLR mirror. And doing so without having to remove an eye from the OVF. Provided of course that the finder is of sufficient size to be meaningful, and any portrayal of electroilluminated imagery is processed fast enough to eliminate lag or motion nausea.
08-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #477
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
Personally I am also a traditional OVF fan (e.g. especially in the larger size of 35mm film or more preferably medium format).

But assuming (I don't have personal experience) that there are some great electroluminescent display tools available such as focus peaking, out of contrast range highlighting etc. Just for fun- consider if an adjustable translucent mirror were implemented with 2 user defined pre-settings allowed; one for the default in OVF (e.g. high reflective optical, low transmission electroluminescence) and a second setting (e.g. low reflective optical, and high electroluminescence) activated by the instantaneous Pentax finger-lever spring-return depth-of-field switch. There might eventually be some nice potential in such an implementation. Hmmm?
The same thing could be achieved by flipping up the mirror, which seems to be a simpler solution. Just like it's done on all Pentax DSLR with live view, but the VF can also be used during LV with EVF added.

One problem with a adjustable translucent mirror is that the secondary mirror for AF will have to be removed so the image sensor have to be used for AF, or the secondary mirror have to be moved out of the way when using full transparency on the main mirror.
Or design it like Sony on SLT, which are EVF only, and the AF sensor is where the prism are on DSLR.

Last edited by Fogel70; 08-19-2015 at 10:20 PM.
08-20-2015, 12:34 AM   #478
Veteran Member

At you sure SLT is evf only? I don't think that is correct.
08-20-2015, 12:57 AM   #479
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
the sony's are all evf fuent
08-20-2015, 01:05 AM   #480
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
They have no OVF.

Instead of using the mirror for creating a image in the OVF, the mirror on SLT reflects light up to the AF-sensor.
The light that goes through the mirror end up on the image sensor which create the image on the EVF.