Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2015, 06:15 AM   #1036
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just think of all the money I saved as a Pentax shooter. Canon and Nikon shooters face a monthly barrage of lens and body announcements. As a Pentax shooter I just deal with maybe one announcement a year relative to my interests. Added to the infrequent announcements are the "pre-announcements" and delays which dampen my impulse purchases. The Pentax cameras and lenses I have exceed my capabilities, with the only possible exception being continuous auto-focus. I do not regret a purchase of a Pentax camera body or lens. I have been given enough time to weigh if I really need the new body or new lens and when I finally get to purchase the product I have not been disappointed. Instead of spending time learning a new body or lens, I can go out and shoot with what I have. Isn't that what led us to Pentax in the first place: more bang for the buck? That is why I initially picked Pentax when I switched camera bodies.

This holds true even with the Pentax added premium price because I buy less and also buy less frequently. A win-win.

10-13-2015, 06:38 AM   #1037
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Just think of all the money I saved as a Pentax shooter. Canon and Nikon shooters face a monthly barrage of lens and body announcements. As a Pentax shooter I just deal with maybe one announcement a year relative to my interests. Added to the infrequent announcements are the "pre-announcements" and delays which dampen my impulse purchases. The Pentax cameras and lenses I have exceed my capabilities, with the only possible exception being continuous auto-focus. I do not regret a purchase of a Pentax camera body or lens. I have been given enough time to weigh if I really need the new body or new lens and when I finally get to purchase the product I have not been disappointed. Instead of spending time learning a new body or lens, I can go out and shoot with what I have. Isn't that what led us to Pentax in the first place: more bang for the buck? That is why I initially picked Pentax when I switched camera bodies.

This holds true even with the Pentax added premium price because I buy less and also buy less frequently. A win-win.
hm? sure...
10-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #1038
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Hehe..i still want a couple of the new FF But shoot went well anyway.
Really, that model's facial expression was your final choice?
10-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #1039
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The duckface is out of fashion.

10-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #1040
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The duckface is out of fashion.
Yup, now the "fish gape" is in vogue.
10-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #1041
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
Firstly: I guess I'm just that impressed with what APS-C is doing at 24 MP, that I feel full-frame 24 MP would be a bit less exciting for most folks. Especially from a landscape photographer's perspective: if I were spending all my time at ISO 100, and my only choices were two 24 MP sensors, I'd be happy with the APS-C option. In other words, if I'm going to spend $2-3K more, (in total for a whole system) ...then it had better offer more than just an extra stop of high ISO performance and slightly higher dynamic range. It needs to throw in some extra resolution on top of that.
Your correct here. I felt the same way. When the Nikon D600 came out I went ahead and spoiled myself for Christmas with a kit and a pair of primes. I shot it for 7 months, but favored my K5 consistently and wasn't overly impressed. It was more than image quality, but the IQ of the D600 wasn't my only problem... it just didn't feel like a Pentax and had a very poor button layout. I ended up getting the D800 and the K3 later that year and I gotta say I'm very happy with my decisions. I would argue that the dynamic range is probably just as good. Comparing the K5/D600 side by side I was able to pull more out of the K5 RAW's. I wish I could go back and put the K3 and D600 side by side...but I don't got a D600 anymore :P

Between the D610, Sony A7, and K3 I would choose the K3 every time. I haven't used the D750 or any Canon so I can't give an opinion there.
10-13-2015, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #1042
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
When I'm paid to do a shoot, i deliver what the customer wants, not what i find the best after my own taste. Its called business and happy customers.

10-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #1043
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Your correct here. I felt the same way. When the Nikon D600 came out I went ahead and spoiled myself for Christmas with a kit and a pair of primes. I shot it for 7 months, but favored my K5 consistently and wasn't overly impressed. It was more than image quality, but the IQ of the D600 wasn't my only problem... it just didn't feel like a Pentax and had a very poor button layout. I ended up getting the D800 and the K3 later that year and I gotta say I'm very happy with my decisions. I would argue that the dynamic range is probably just as good. Comparing the K5/D600 side by side I was able to pull more out of the K5 RAW's. I wish I could go back and put the K3 and D600 side by side...but I don't got a D600 anymore :P

Between the D610, Sony A7, and K3 I would choose the K3 every time. I haven't used the D750 or any Canon so I can't give an opinion there.
I have a kinda similar story regarding the Canon 6D.
The IQ difference is real and noticeable at ISO 1600 and above. But the K-3 is close enough that the other things (ergonomics and size) make shooting the K-3II more enjoyable for me.
The K-3II + FA31mm + FA77mm holds it's own with the 6D + 50mmL + 135mmL in 90% of the situations and is waaaaaay more discreet
10-13-2015, 02:15 PM - 4 Likes   #1044
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
FF out in 4 months
Has anyone else noticed it's like a rolling four months, it never seems to get any closer...
10-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #1045
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Has anyone else noticed it's like a rolling four months, it never seems to get any closer...
LOL....yeah it's been 'out in four months' for two years now (and counting)
10-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #1046
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
LOL....yeah it's been 'out in four months' for two years now (and counting)
Not just me then... that's good to hear.
10-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #1047
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I did. In fact I think that's the reason the FF is keeping its distance from us.
10-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #1048
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Had a shoot today. Tried to tell her we dont need FF. She didn't take it well!
Just wonder how she would react if you pulled your 'Q' out
10-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #1049
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reassurance that the FF (or one of the FF's if there's more than one, as I think there will be) will be great for wedding photographers gives us plenty to think about. What do wedding photographers need? AF speed and accuracy, especially in low light and in artificial light. High ISO image quality. Reliable and accurate flash capability. Excellent resolution. Long-lasting shutter. High dynamic range. What else am I missing? Video?

I'm more optimistic than before. And of course, any wedding photographer needs the right lenses to pair with that body: sharp, fast, portable/handholdable.
10-13-2015, 11:36 PM   #1050
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I have a kinda similar story regarding the Canon 6D.
The IQ difference is real and noticeable at ISO 1600 and above. But the K-3 is close enough that the other things (ergonomics and size) make shooting the K-3II more enjoyable for me.
The K-3II + FA31mm + FA77mm holds it's own with the 6D + 50mmL + 135mmL in 90% of the situations and is waaaaaay more discreet
Really? I sold my K-3 II because I didn't like it as much as I liked K-5 II and because I will not have at least two Pentax full frames to choose from. I really don't need 36mp sensor.

I bought Canon 6D and I think that the image quality is a little better than K-3 II's at low ISO and way better at higher ISO. Skin tones are so accurate on Canon...with Pentax the skin tones are more like Nikon's (a little yellow).

I agree with you that K-3 II is more discreet because of those small primes, but it is not a big difference in body size.