Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #1066
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
to get back on topic here from Photo rumours as I want to get over 100,000 hits

The new camera is not 42MP (I also reported 36MP)
The AF is very fast (compared to??? )
"There are many AF points than ever" (wonder if its an infinite amount )
SR (Super-Resolution) mode now works handheld and the results are pretty good (love subjective comments )
Overall, better experience than the Nikon D810 ( I really hope so as must be a reason for the delay )

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: More Pentax full frame DSLR camera rumors | Photo Rumors

10-14-2015, 11:48 AM - 5 Likes   #1067
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
pffffft; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/305820-ff-new-rumours.html

we've been rice rolled
10-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #1068
Veteran Member

Just because this thread is ACTUALLY ABOUT THE UPCOMING FF (and not about someones 6D, who starts to advert it as the better camera to make all the FF fanatics "jumpy" because their mouths are already watering after FF), totally by accident) that we should see from NOW on. in 4 months...

-----> Are there actually any surveys/petitions for firmware improvements that get sent to ricoh-imaging???? I know there is another thread about this. I think its called "What could be different about Pentax FF.." or so.

But I just thought we could need a little change in direction in here. from someones full frame can to our FF baby and PENTAX bodies back again.

What do you guys think of creating a petition to make PENTAX consider implementing some really important/useful functions in the firmware not only of the upcoming FF but also of the pro-bodies that are already on the market.

QUOTE: "Take care of the pence / pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves."

Think about the little things, that just dont fit or you wished for ever since. Maybe button placement. maybe missing functions that could get assigned to existing buttons, etc., etc.

some of mine:

•) to lock pictures with AE-L Button when in Review Mode for instance or
•) zooming to at least 8x in deletion-mode
•) a function to tag pictures with different color dots so you can:
•) send the pictures to a destined server or online-service according to the color dot you tagged them with over WIFI...
(That would also work for Flu-Card enabled wifi-capable models)

post some of yours and maybe we will find some guy who is involved in running pentaxforums.com that would help us with the petition.
maybe also a mod reads this and gives us a clue how to "get through" to PENTAX - Ricoh-Imaging with our petition...

If there is already something alike(in the form of a real petition), I would say "THX" if you point me out...
10-14-2015, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #1069
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are actually good ideas. My feedback in the recent survey was the need for efficient tethering. I would wish for some Capture Pilot style where you can view the images on a remote device and even rate, colorlabel and colorbalance the images besides controling the camera.

10-14-2015, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #1070
Veteran Member

So we would have:

•) to lock pictures with AE-L Button when in Review Mode for instance or
•) send the pictures to a destined server or online-service according to the color dot you tagged them with over WIFI...
(That would also work for Flu-Card enabled wifi-capable models)
•)Tethering enhancements: Capture Pilot style where you can view the images on a remote device and even rate, colorlabel and colorbalance the images besides controling the camera.

patarok & sbh & ... ?

Next one please?

plz, mods, let me do this in here. this is a very active thread. and I think a separate thread would not be "target aimed"...thank you.
10-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #1071

This is a great idea ! For me this can be added to the wishlist :
Enable a 1 key suppression button (instead of suppress+confirm)
Add a stars mark for each picture in review mode (something easy and compatible with Optics Pro & Lightroom).. I would really enjoy to sort my pictures on my camera before editing.
10-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #1072
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
If there is already something alike(in the form of a real petition), I would say "THX" if you point me out...
There is a "Dear Pentax" thread on this forum and a "Things I Would Like to Seen on the Next Pentax DSLR" thread at the Ricoh Community forum. I posted my respective wishlist already, but I think one has to be realistic about the chances of any of these user contributions making it into a product.

First, it is not clear whether the forum administrators actually collate the input and pass it on to Japan.

Second, Pentax appears to always have done things "their way". Many good suggestions have been passed on by PF to Pentax Japan and I cannot remember one case where it actually made a difference. Perhaps I'm oblivious to cases where the input was taken on board, but I guess it is fair to say that in the vast majority of cases, the user input did not have any impact. The latter can certainly be said about the major petitions that were organised.

Last edited by Class A; 10-14-2015 at 02:12 PM.
10-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #1073
Veteran Member

So we would have:

•) lock pictures with AE-L Button when in Review Mode for instance or
•) send the pictures to a destined server or online-service according to the color dot you tagged them with over WIFI... (That would also work for Flu-Card enabled wifi-capable models)
•)Tethering enhancements: Capture Pilot style where you can view the images on a remote device and even rate, colorlabel and colorbalance the images besides controling the camera.
•) Enable a 1 key suppression button (instead of suppress+confirm)
•) Add a stars mark for each picture in review mode (something easy and highly compatible)

patarok & sbh & gorme & ... ?

Next one please?

plz, mods, let me do this in here. this is a very active thread. and I think a separate thread would not be "target aimed"...thank you.

CONTRIBUTORS: Feel free to copy and paste your suggestion in the way the other suggestions have been recapped. And dont forget to add your name after the ampers and. And stay true to the format, plz. THANK YOU!

---------- Post added 10-14-15 at 02:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
First, it is not clear whether the forum administrators actually collate the input and pass it on to Japan.

Second, Pentax appears to always have done things "their way". Many good suggestions have been passed on by PF to Pentax Japan and I cannot remember one case where it actually made a difference. Perhaps I'm oblivious to cases where the input was taken on board, but I guess it is fair to say that in the vast majority of cases, the user input did not have any impact. The latter can certainly be said about the major petitions that were organised.

totally agreed. But nonetheless it is worth a try.

Suggestion to fatten up our chances:

This "not caring" could really partly be a totally legal issue! I guess there also has to be a phrase in such an "end-user side" started petition, that says that every user who takes part agrees to loose any rights on the authorship of the patent/idea, for better chances to see improvements that users suggested...(At least Apple stated in some user suggestions section, that it needs its users to agree to such a "phrase" if they ever want to see their suggested improvements in the future products of Apple Inc.)
HAVE A LOOK AT: (I found it ) Apple - Legal - Unsolicited Idea Submission Policy
- Formality has got to be even more important for things to work in a country like Japan.(have a short think about their culture)

But I am partly with you, when you would say that it may be a problem of "just not caring"... On the other hand: There is more to the truth than what hits the eye.... So maybe we already have seen user suggested improvements in PENTAX/Ricoh - Products, but just dont know. I once had a conversation with a salesman, who said that several companies indeed really care about user suggestions and sometimes implement them. But that Joe Bloggs just wouldnt notice...

Try to think positive(but stay realistic) because thinking negative or "totally realistic and not naive" like a pessimist would say, for sure doesnt help either.
BTW: I remember that I took part on a survey that a company contracted with Ricoh started via Survey-Monkey to improve "future products" not so long ago. And in fact shortly afterwards another one.

So i say: Keep going with the suggestions. And remember "Keep it simple!" - Pennies add up to Pounds... (By this i mean: Only things that are not very difficult and could be done via firmware update- nothing mechanically)

We will add up with other wishlists later on. *thumbsup"

Last edited by patarok; 10-14-2015 at 02:51 PM.
10-14-2015, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #1074
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
Next one please?
I would like:

Exposure lock (in manual mode) locks exposure when changing ISO.

This is really a bug report on their existing cameras. Here's an explanation of what I mean:

I have the camera in manual mode. I press exposure lock. If I adjust shutter speed, the aperture is automatically adjusted so that image brightness is maintained. And if I change aperture, shutter speed is automatically adjusted so that image brightness is maintained. But if I change ISO no other setting changes, and image brightness is not maintained. I expect shutter speed to change and image brightness to be maintained, because if I didn't want that I wouldn't have activated exposure lock.

It's possible this is already fixed in a newer camera (I have a K5), but I've never gotten anyone to say that it is. On the other hand I've never gotten anyone to say that it isn't either. I fully expect no one to understand what I want, and about two suggestion to use aperture priority mode, because apparently it sounds like that is what I want. (It really isn't.)
10-14-2015, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #1075

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I expect shutter speed to change and image brightness to be maintained, because if I didn't want that I wouldn't have activated exposure lock.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in manual mode you operate on a fixed ISO, so there's only two variables left; if you change one, the're only one solution for the other to give you the correct exposure (i.e. you only have one degree of freedom). If you change the ISO while locking the exposure, either aperture or shutter speed (or both) will have to change to yield the correct exposure. The camera doesn't know which one you'd like to change, so your expectation isn't necessarily the obvious one (another user might expect the aperture, but not the shutter speed to change when you change ISO while locking the exposure). I guess that's why it doesn't work.
So in other words you'd like the behaviour of the camera to be programmable when you change the ISO in manual mode? I'm all for customiseable firmware, although I'd imagine it would be easiest to implement with a piece of software you'd run on a computer and then transfer to the camera, otherwise it might take an endless range of pages to click through with the wheels and buttons on the camera itself. (And since I have no use for a FF, I'd love to see this implemented in the crop sensor models as wel ). Something tells me this will greatly increase the chance of user error, though, which might be a reason why it hasn't been implemented so far.
10-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #1076
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I would like:

Exposure lock (in manual mode) locks exposure when changing ISO.

This is really a bug report on their existing cameras. Here's an explanation of what I mean:

I have the camera in manual mode. I press exposure lock. If I adjust shutter speed, the aperture is automatically adjusted so that image brightness is maintained. And if I change aperture, shutter speed is automatically adjusted so that image brightness is maintained. But if I change ISO no other setting changes, and image brightness is not maintained. I expect shutter speed to change and image brightness to be maintained, because if I didn't want that I wouldn't have activated exposure lock.

It's possible this is already fixed in a newer camera (I have a K5), but I've never gotten anyone to say that it is. On the other hand I've never gotten anyone to say that it isn't either. I fully expect no one to understand what I want, and about two suggestion to use aperture priority mode, because apparently it sounds like that is what I want. (It really isn't.)
I don't believe that is a bug. That is standard camera behavior. Allowing the camera to change ISO at all on its own is a fairly new behavior, so people may decide over time that they want something like this, but I think a lot of thought would have to go into what your suggested behavior look like at the very detail level.
10-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #1077
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OJGoreng Quote
So in other words you'd like the behaviour of the camera to be programmable when you change the ISO in manual mode?
The camera could just behave in accordance to the green button configuration.

In other words, if the green button is configured to adjust shutter speed (rather than aperture) in manual mode, changing the ISO value should affect the shutter speed as well, etc.

I think drougge's suggestion makes sense and could be added without complicating the menu system or use of the camera.
10-15-2015, 02:43 AM   #1078
Veteran Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in manual mode you operate on a fixed ISO
You are wrong. In manual mode you operate without the camera overriding your decisions on exposure parameters, but ISO is just as adjustable as shutter and aperture. (On a camera where ISO is adjustable at all, but that's what we are talking about here.)

so there's only two variables left; if you change one, the're only one solution for the other to give you the correct exposure (i.e. you only have one degree of freedom). If you change the ISO while locking the exposure, either aperture or shutter speed (or both) will have to change to yield the correct exposure. The camera doesn't know which one you'd like to change, so your expectation isn't necessarily the obvious one (another user might expect the aperture, but not the shutter speed to change when you change ISO while locking the exposure). I guess that's why it doesn't work.
I may have made my explanation too short. I felt I had to make it short in order to get it read. Obviously the camera will adjust either shutter or aperture based on the general user preference (which already has a custom setting, as Class A points out). The important part is that when I set the camera in a mode where it promises to not change the image brightness it should honour that promise.

So in other words you'd like the behaviour of the camera to be programmable when you change the ISO in manual mode? I'm all for customiseable firmware, although I'd imagine it would be easiest to implement with a piece of software you'd run on a computer and then transfer to the camera, otherwise it might take an endless range of pages to click through with the wheels and buttons on the camera itself. (And since I have no use for a FF, I'd love to see this implemented in the crop sensor models as wel ). Something tells me this will greatly increase the chance of user error, though, which might be a reason why it hasn't been implemented so far.
There will be no new preferences. No changes beyond honouring the already existing user prefences also in this case.

But I would actually love to be able to customise my firmware properly. In the sense of getting source and build instructions. But I'm sure that won't happen from a traditional camera company. (There are cameras running Android where you get source.)

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't believe that is a bug. That is standard camera behavior. Allowing the camera to change ISO at all on its own is a fairly new behavior, so people may decide over time that they want something like this, but I think a lot of thought would have to go into what your suggested behavior look like at the very detail level.
Not all common defects are features, and this is definitely a bug.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough on what I expect, but I don't know how to be clearer. I just want the totally simple, obvious thing: When exposure is locked, the camera does not change the exposure. It's not a new idea, it's not complicated.
10-15-2015, 03:43 AM   #1079
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
we've been rice rolled
LOL, did you invent that right now?
10-15-2015, 03:49 AM   #1080
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
LOL, did you invent that right now?
Or it is a play on the meme to be Rick Rolled.