Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #1141
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Come to think of it, the K2DMD was released in 1976…
So was the MX.

10-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #1142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Existing K-mount lenses do not report focus distance to camera with enough accuracy to be able to use it for 5-axis SR.
You don't need focus distance information for 5-axis SR.

As a matter of fact, the distance dimension would be the sixth axis, but in any event the information required for SR comes from accelerometers. Pentax SR only uses rotation data, as camera rotation induced blur dominates for regular shooting distances, while camera translation induced blur only becomes critical in close focusing situations.

AFAIC, there is no good reason for Pentax having failed to provide 5-axis stabilisation.
10-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #1143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
AFAIC, there is no good reason for Pentax having failed to provide 5-axis stabilisation.
…except perhaps to include it in a new body, as another USP. Of course, that's a marketing reason, not an engineering one.
10-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #1144
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Maybe best not to rely on the idea that the first Pentax digital FF will be more or less for pros in a gritty traditional sense. Who are pros these days for a start? Second, professional users need very good reasons indeed to give up what they have or forego having it in the first place by not buying into the two established DSLR brands used by professional photographers for many years now. Even a cursory look at what's on offer across a whole system isn't all that flattering to Pentax. So, why would an experienced professional give up Canon or Nikon for Pentax or, if a budding professional, choose Pentax instead?

Perhaps more likely, to be a bit cynical, is a package aimed at amateurs and "prosumers" with all the right "pro" labels attached, something that in truth isn't really for seasoned professionals with paid support packages, though they could use it of course, as for people who'd like to think they are. There people out there who buy a Canon 5D Mk III and then use it on full auto via the rear LCD like a P&S. Pros? If they think they are then who are we to say they aren't. Often these days it's just a label. And there are likely far more potential customers like this than there are among people who depend on dedicated, full-time photography for their living. Few of those left and perhaps even fewer who can be persuaded to give up the big two brands.
Good morning..

Sorry I went to sleep early so no response.

Maybe it was what I ment with word 'amateur', something what exists on APS-C line already. K-3 is more serious top of line and let's say K-50 is almost the same, but even cheaper. With less specs and price. Still weather sealed'n all.

10-19-2015, 12:48 AM   #1145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
No need to harass kenspo about such stuff.
Im not harassed but i can't answer these questions..i dont know the specs so detailed either.
10-19-2015, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #1146
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You don't need focus distance information for 5-axis SR.

As a matter of fact, the distance dimension would be the sixth axis, but in any event the information required for SR comes from accelerometers. Pentax SR only uses rotation data, as camera rotation induced blur dominates for regular shooting distances, while camera translation induced blur only becomes critical in close focusing situations.

To be able to regulate horizontal/vertical shift (X and Y shift) you need to know the magnification of the shot.
The closer the focus is, the more you need to move the sensor.

So for the forth and fifth axis you need to know the focus distance together with focal length to be able to calculate magnification.
Which is also the reason why you only get 3-axis stabilization on Sony A7-series with lenses that do not report focus distance to the camera.

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-19-2015 at 06:43 AM.
10-19-2015, 07:46 AM   #1147
Pentaxian

To be able to regulate horizontal/vertical shift (X and Y shift) you need to know the magnification of the shot.
True, I forgot that the closer the subject, the more significant the information about the subject distance becomes, in order to apply the correct amount of compensation.

A "revision of the mount" would, however, only concern the digital protocol used between lens and camera, not any modifications to the mount hardware. Respective lenses could measure distance (through the focus setting) much more precisely than the crude system Pentax supports currently and convey the information to the camera via the pin dedicated for digital communication.

Until such lenses become available, there would be the option to let photographers put in the focus distance manually which would be viable if only a relatively small number of macro zones were supported.

10-19-2015, 07:46 AM   #1148
Veteran Member

Why not send your quirky requirements direct to the Ricoh distributor in your country? Call or email them directly.

No need to harass kenspo about such stuff.
I decided not to comment on the cause for caling the suggestions of 3 different forum users "MY quirky requirements"

FYI: some users appreciated them and also contributed(and some tried to, before everything ended up in a discussion about how "HypM" has to work on a DSLR ...)

But let me ask you:

whats so quirky about locking pix with AE-L?
whats so quirky about a feature a other brand has already implemented in their cameras(that are aimed at professionals...) about 8-9 years ago??? (FTP-Uploading from camera)

It is my and my decision only, who i aim my posts at or write facebook messages to. Kenneth should be old enough to talk for himself... thank you.

AND:

BTW...the points that are already on the list already found their way to Ricoh..
so if Kenspo would step into the breach now, and would plead for those points, it maybe would help that we see those features in the upcoming FF DSLR.

And i really feel that uploading pix directly from cam to a server or online service is nowhere near "quirky", as having to pull them over to another device to send them from there,
especially when there is no need for doing so because you can already develop RAW pix "inCam" and elementary image processing is also available "inCam".

In real photo reportage(it least if you are working for news agencies and daily news papers), it is really important to DELIVER FAST.

BEST EXAMPLE: I did a real decent shot of "Amanda Le Pore" which is some kind of transgender-star at the Vienna Life Ball... it was real nice... LOOK BELOW.

but i had to drive home to my computer because mobile device didnt work.. And just the day after at 14:00 or so,(i shot until 3:00 in the morning or so and got home at, what made me sleep until app 13.00 )
all i got to hear was : "Really a nice shot, we would buy it, but man you are to late... we got delivered so many pix and everything is already in the worx)

I had the feeling that there may be other people who would like to see(really small but therefore useful) improvements in the firmware and would like to contribute.
It seems it worked until the HypM discussion started... so again:

•) lock pictures with AE-L Button when in Review Mode for instance ....---- Extremely important and saves you a lot of time that you would waste with pushing buttons.

•) zooming to at least 8x in deletion-mode

•) a function to tag pictures with different color dots so you can:

•) send the pictures to a destined server or online-service according to the color dot you tagged them with over WIFI... (That would also work for Flu-Card enabled wifi-capable models)
(IMHO this should be a feature most pros should appreciate... - a lot of reportage photographers who work for APA or other picture agencies who get the pictures delivered by uploads via FTP-Server...
i guess this may be the reason for Nikons Ethernet connection... ) -- so i really do not see any candy4kids in that one....

•)Tethering enhancements: Capture Pilot style where you can view the images on a remote device and even rate, colorlabel and colorbalance the images besides controling the camera.

•) Enable a 1 key suppression button (instead of suppress+confirm) --- this functionaly could make use of a button that would otherwise not have a function when navigating through a menu.

•) Add a stars mark for each picture in review mode (something easy and highly compatible) -- i also consider that point for an easy one... for instance one could hold the AF-button in review mode whilst changing the star rating with the front wheel.

___patarok & sbh & gorme & ... ?plz contribute...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
10-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #1149
Veteran Member

Kenspo is a K-3 ambassador, not a Ricoh software developer.

So I still suggest that you send your list directly to Ricoh. I'm sure they get lots of [quirky ] feature requests from all sorts of users from all over the world, and have some process for assessing and prioritising them for attention.

I suspect, however, that they prioritise bugs over feature requests, since new features can introduce new bugs of their own ... so best of luck getting their attention.
10-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #1150
Veteran Member

Yep. He is. So he is in the position not only to communicate with responsible persons at Ricoh, but also to impart what features potential buyers of the FF PENTAX DSLR (because this is what he stands for as an ambassador) would appreciate.

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
BTW...the points that are already on the list already found their way to Ricoh..
So you people think the list is complete? I would like to wait a bit and see if other people would like to copy,paste and add their
quirky
{ i still do not understand this (rawr s) verdict... }

"real short improvement suggestions"

think positive... it wont hurt...

---------- Post added 10-19-15 at 09:49 AM ----------

BTW, (talking about firmware improvements....) if there are people with hacking/programming skills in here that don't see an effort or much chances in sending over such suggestions to pentax, because they are super-realistic,
I think, you could still contribute to the PENTAX HACK DEVELOPMENT KIT - Project started out by "Shodan"(PHDK), if you REALLY HAVE SKILLS this would be highly appreciated,
and people looking into pentaxforums.com would see more progress than individual subliminal insults...

Have a look at:
Resurrecting Pentax firmware hacking - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250555-resurrect...acking-36.html
Pentax Hacker Development Kit Wiki - Wikia - Pentax Hacker Development Kit Wiki - Wikia
PHDK Github Repository(i-am-Shodan) - https://github.com/i-am-shodan/PHDK

Last edited by patarok; 10-19-2015 at 09:50 AM.
10-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #1151
Pentaxian

True, I forgot that the closer the subject, the more significant the information about the subject distance becomes, in order to apply the correct amount of compensation.

A "revision of the mount" would, however, only concern the digital protocol used between lens and camera, not any modifications to the mount hardware. Respective lenses could measure distance (through the focus setting) much more precisely than the crude system Pentax supports currently and convey the information to the camera via the pin dedicated for digital communication.

Until such lenses become available, there would be the option to let photographers put in the focus distance manually which would be viable if only a relatively small number of macro zones were supported.
If I remember correctly distance data is using 4-bits (16 position), so if that is to be made more precise they need to use more data, but how can they add that and still make the lens fully compatible with older cameras?

I'm don't know how the communication on the data pin works, but I guess they will have to keep the 4-bit distance data to keep compatibility on older cameras, and then introduce a new data entry with maybe 8-bit or 16-bit distance data. Can they add that to the digital pin without it confusing older cameras, or do they need to add a new pin for it?

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-19-2015 at 09:36 PM.
10-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #1152
Pentaxian

If I remember correctly distance data is using 4-bits (16 position), so if that is to be made more precise they need to use more data, but how can they add that and still make the lens fully compatible with older cameras?

I'm don't know how the communication on the data pin works, but I guess they will have to keep the 4-bit distance data to keep compatibility on older cameras, and then introduce a new data entry with maybe 8-bit or 16-bit distance data. Can they add that to the digital pin without it confusing older cameras, or do they need to add a new pin for it?
It all depends on how robust is their implementation in the first place (the current cams). I suspect the cam would simply ignore any info not recognized in which case, extending the 4 bits should not be a serious problem.
10-20-2015, 12:37 AM   #1153
Veteran Member

Kenspo is a K-3 ambassador, not a Ricoh software developer.
Im more then that now. Im ambassador for everything Pentax I get everything i need..cameras, lenses, extras etc. It had to be done that way, since they had to convince me to change system

But software developer, I'm not
10-20-2015, 01:01 AM   #1154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I get everything i need..cameras, lenses, extras etc. It had to be done that way, since they had to convince me to change system
I think you used unfortunate wording here.

Surely you were convinced that Pentax is the best way forward for you based on the merit of the products. Getting the latter free is a nice bonus, rather than the price they had to buy your opinion / loyalty, isn't it?

Last edited by Class A; 10-20-2015 at 01:08 AM.
10-20-2015, 01:07 AM   #1155
Pentaxian

... how can they add that and still make the lens fully compatible with older cameras?
While I don't have any inside information, I strongly suspect that the camera initiates all communication with the lens.

A lens could thus respond with the crude information whenever it receices a respective message from the old protocol, but return precise data in response to a camera request that conforms to a newly added message type.