Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FF out in 4 months

From an EU Pentax distributor, I heard the FF will come in about 4 months.which if true is faster than expected--(whenever that was
now just to find a Sony source to see if the 42MP BSI was sold to Pentax!!

06-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds about right. They said November-ish in a facebook post.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
From an EU Pentax distributor, I heard the FF will come in about 4 months.which if true is faster than expected--(whenever that was
now just to find a Sony source to see if the 42MP BSI was sold to Pentax!!
The rumor was always Oct/Nov.
06-23-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Well color me incorrect in thinking it would get delayed until early next year..

D5 rumors out today though suggesting a 20MP sensor with 4k video and 15fps burst. That would be tasty too.

06-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
FF out in 4 months
It will come round soon enough now, after all these years of waiting.
06-23-2015, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Pentax FF will be released before Christmas, so Santa Klaus can deliver it ;-) You have to write your wishes to Santa, be very nice and wait patiently.
06-23-2015, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

You mean Klaus Schroiff from photozone.de? I never thought he could be involved in delivering the FF ;-)

4 months, perhaps a late October announcement with November delivery? Fits the other rumors. Unless it was the same distributor who said November in the first place

06-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Well color me incorrect in thinking it would get delayed until early next year..

D5 rumors out today though suggesting a 20MP sensor with 4k video and 15fps burst. That would be tasty too.

Found the 'article' about the D5.. coming right around the same time as this Pentax FF. Considering how Nikon and Pentax bodies tend to use the same sensors, and looking at the suggested release date of this Nikon body vs the Pentax, I strongly suspect Ricoh will use the same sensor and thus have similar features (and sadly pricing!) Nikon D5 Rumored to Pack 4K and a Native Max ISO of 102,400
06-23-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I strongly suspect Ricoh will use the same sensor and thus have similar features (and sadly pricing!)
I predict the sensor will be exclusive to Pentax.
06-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Found the 'article' about the D5.. coming right around the same time as this Pentax FF. Considering how Nikon and Pentax bodies tend to use the same sensors, and looking at the suggested release date of this Nikon body vs the Pentax, I strongly suspect Ricoh will use the same sensor and thus have similar features (and sadly pricing!) Nikon D5 Rumored to Pack 4K and a Native Max ISO of 102,400
I think that's very, very unlikely. The D4 is a niche product and I suspect the D5 has the same target market. I imagine the Pentax FF will have a much more market-friendly megapixel rating and specs.
06-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
The D4 is a niche product

...and I suspect the D5 has the same target market. I imagine the Pentax FF will have a much more market-friendly megapixel rating and specs.
So is a Pentax digital FF body.. ;cP

I think Ricoh will make this body more about high DR, low noise imagery... perhaps without the 4k video... and less about sheer MP. Rugged, outdoorsy bodies with decent DR seem to be the Pentax digital thing. And it seems Ricoh wouldn't want to upset the 645Z sales by making this thing too close to it. Without the extra video bits, that could put it in the 3-4k price range maybe..

I definitely don't think it will be a sensor we've already seen used previously..
06-23-2015, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #12

Without the extra video bits, that could put it in the 3-4k price range maybe..
3-4k range? If it's that much, I'll stick to APS-C and FF film.
06-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
3-4k range? If it's that much, I'll stick to APS-C and FF film.
Yes, if so me too..
06-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

OK, so now we have two silly sensor rumours for the Pentax FF - the 42MP Sony stacked BSI one, and the alleged 20MP Nikon D5 one. I think neither are likely. Simply too expensive, plus one is too big with the megapickles and the other is too small.

A October release date for the Pentax FF would be excellent. Make your move, Pentax.
06-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
OK, so now we have two silly sensor rumours for the Pentax FF - the 42MP Sony stacked BSI one, and the alleged 20MP Nikon D5 one. I think neither are likely. Simply too expensive, plus one is too big with the megapickles and the other is too small.

A October release date for the Pentax FF would be excellent. Make your move, Pentax.

42 + 20 = 62 / 2 = 31. We get a 31 MP sensor.

I still think it will be 32 or less MP.. and still quite possibly this 20 MP sensor. I couldn't possibly see Ricoh pulling a Canon and going berserk with the mp count.