Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #466
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I know a lot of 5D mkii owners, and every one of them chose it in part or in whole for its video capabilities.
Admittedly, I know only one 5D mkII user, but I'm pretty sure he isn't even aware that his camera can do video.

07-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #467

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
... you need to remember that SR require bigger than APS-C circle mount to work. So while K-mount is bigger than needed, it's not that much bigger.
How the old design FF frame lenses work with the new FF camera's SR is still unknown.
Meaning, achieving 4 stops of SR on full-frame might cause vignetting due to the mount itself, or the image circle? Hmm, I never thought of that, but it is a good point. Might be why Nikon has never done it, and why Sony took a generation to "figure it out" in their 7-series lineup.

---------- Post added 07-10-15 at 04:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Just had a chat with Ricoh. Pentax Japan are holding the cards VERY tight here. So only FEW knows..Everything else is just speculations. But both me and Ricoh are pretty certain on what they will deliver with the FF. I know a few bits and pieces already, but if i share that information already, they will hunt me down..haha!
I honestly don't care that much which sensor they put in it, or how much it costs, as long as it is more of a leap forward than a "me too" strategy... I also hope they don't abandon their traditions of of a compact / lightweight system; the "Limited" lenses are a big selling point for me as a Nikon ship-jumper.

=Matt=
07-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #468
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, when I heard the first credible story that Ricoh would announce a FF EARLY IN 2015 the suggestion was FF or a SLIGHT crop of a FF sensor, to permit IBIS on legacy lenses.
07-10-2015, 04:36 PM   #469

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
FWIW, when I heard the first credible story that Ricoh would announce a FF EARLY IN 2015 the suggestion was FF or a SLIGHT crop of a FF sensor, to permit IBIS on legacy lenses.
I'd be OK with a 1.1x or 1.2x sensor maybe, but it'd have to provide 100% of the image quality advantages of FF, and would require a couple specialty lenses too maybe. But anything 1.3x or more, and I'll just stick with 1.5x TYVM...

Having said that, considering how many sources for sensors there are out there, I bet this isn't the case. There's a 99% chance we'll see a Sony-sourced 36 MP or 42 MP sensor that we've already seen in one form or another in an existing Sony / Nikon DSLR.

=Matt=

07-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #470
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe it will be 100% coverage for most lenses with an option to select a SLIGHT (couple 1000ths - not 1:1.1 even) software crop of certain lenses that don't 'test' well (which is what they've been doing for weeks now) to alleviate vignetteing. Of course this is just my opinion. I make no authoritative claims about the current state of the camera.

I believe we will be surprised how good this camera is with the new lenses and how well it handles legacy lenses. Toys and gadgets are neat but it has to produce stellar image files or the gadgets don't matter.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-10-2015 at 05:26 PM.
07-10-2015, 07:54 PM   #471
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I believe it will be 100% coverage for most lenses with an option to select a SLIGHT (couple 1000ths - not 1:1.1 even) software crop of certain lenses that don't 'test' well (which is what they've been doing for weeks now) to alleviate vignetteing. Of course this is just my opinion. I make no authoritative claims about the current state of the camera.

I believe we will be surprised how good this camera is with the new lenses and how well it handles legacy lenses. Toys and gadgets are neat but it has to produce stellar image files or the gadgets don't matter.
When this thing finally gets released, it will be interesting to see if a lens like the FA 31 produces that certain je ne sais quoi on the FF camera that is unique from all other FF cameras with 30 mm lenses.
07-10-2015, 07:58 PM   #472
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Where are all these FF VDSLR users? Not on flickr
vimeo and youtube.
07-10-2015, 11:59 PM   #473
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
When this thing finally gets released, it will be interesting to see if a lens like the FA 31 produces that certain je ne sais quoi on the FF camera that is unique from all other FF cameras with 30 mm lenses.
Why not? It does produce it on film and on digital APSC... and I think some use it on their A7...

07-11-2015, 04:00 AM   #474
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That argument cuts both ways. There are plenty of people out there who think m4/3 offers the best balance of size and weight versus IQ. Who am I to say they are wrong?
Yep. In the end, it really depends how, each of us (and the market) divide the market with categories. Let's say something like this:
* FF DSLR + mirrorless
* APS DSLR + mirrorless
* APS DSLR + phone camera
* phone cam + mirrorless
* etc...

There are multiple things coming in line and the first one is the general form or shape if you prefer, for each usage.
I, for serious work, would not want to part with a DSLR (or one of my view cameras but this is of course very specific) BUT it is clear that a camera for day to day would be either a phone (frankly, not there yet although my LG G3 is quite good IMO) or a mirrorless of some sort. A choice I'll make in one category will influence the other.
Frankly, if I still bother with weight etc from a DSLR outfit, why not get Full frame where at it. Not necessary in any way but if possible, I will.
Next: what day to day cam? I'd be inclined to go GR for now. Somehow, full lenses lineup in both mirrorless outfit and DSLR outfit is a no go. No way.
I might also stay with APS DSLR + GR. Dunno.

I'll agree, sensor wise that m43 is good enough. But I wouldn't want to stick a tilt/shift lens on a mirrorless. Just too impractical. DSLR is just almost too impractical too (IMO) with T/S lenses so mirrorless...

IMO form/shape and intended use is more of a criteria than sensor size.

Just my 2 cents...
07-11-2015, 04:11 AM   #475
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep. In the end, it really depends how, each of us (and the market) divide the market with categories. Let's say something like this:
* FF DSLR + mirrorless
* APS DSLR + mirrorless
* APS DSLR + phone camera
* phone cam + mirrorless
* etc...

There are multiple things coming in line and the first one is the general form or shape if you prefer, for each usage.
I, for serious work, would not want to part with a DSLR (or one of my view cameras but this is of course very specific) BUT it is clear that a camera for day to day would be either a phone (frankly, not there yet although my LG G3 is quite good IMO) or a mirrorless of some sort. A choice I'll make in one category will influence the other.
Frankly, if I still bother with weight etc from a DSLR outfit, why not get Full frame where at it. Not necessary in any way but if possible, I will.
Next: what day to day cam? I'd be inclined to go GR for now. Somehow, full lenses lineup in both mirrorless outfit and DSLR outfit is a no go. No way.
I might also stay with APS DSLR + GR. Dunno.

I'll agree, sensor wise that m43 is good enough. But I wouldn't want to stick a tilt/shift lens on a mirrorless. Just too impractical. DSLR is just almost too impractical too (IMO) with T/S lenses so mirrorless...

IMO form/shape and intended use is more of a criteria than sensor size.

Just my 2 cents...
To me, cameras divide based on size in to two groups: pocketable and not pocketable. Now, the biggest camera I personally could stick in a pocket would probably be a Q with a prime (others may have bigger pockets). Even four thirds with a prime is going to need some sort of extra bag/case to carry it in. Once you decide you are going to carry a separate bag, you still have to decide how big it will be. A D810 and 24-70 f2.8 will need a larger bag than a K3 and a DA 15 limited which would need a bigger bag than a K-S1 and DA 40 or an Olympus OM-D EM-5 with a 17mm prime.

But these days there is a lot of choice and it feels like even smaller sensor sizes provide excellent image quality. Bigger sensors still give better quality, but for many people four thirds and APS-C are "good enough" for the majority of situations.
07-11-2015, 06:52 AM   #476
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Objectif FA Pentax 31mm Limited F1.8 sur Sony A7 | FocusPeaking.fr

Its a great little lens. I'm using it on an A7II and its doing just fine.
07-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
To me, cameras divide based on size in to two groups: pocketable and not pocketable. Now, the biggest camera I personally could stick in a pocket would probably be a Q with a prime (others may have bigger pockets). Even four thirds with a prime is going to need some sort of extra bag/case to carry it in. Once you decide you are going to carry a separate bag, you still have to decide how big it will be. A D810 and 24-70 f2.8 will need a larger bag than a K3 and a DA 15 limited which would need a bigger bag than a K-S1 and DA 40 or an Olympus OM-D EM-5 with a 17mm prime.

But these days there is a lot of choice and it feels like even smaller sensor sizes provide excellent image quality. Bigger sensors still give better quality, but for many people four thirds and APS-C are "good enough" for the majority of situations.
Ricoh GR is definitely pocketable.
07-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #478
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

I keep hearing that this camera is for the Pentax users with pent up demand. What if it is not? What if Ricoh has found and is going to target a completely different market?

What if as I said in my first post they do not care about the current user base but want to start over with a group willing to pay for a $3,500 camera?
With the loud pent up demand for a long telephoto not returning any sales when a product was delivered I don't; see any reason why Pentax would attempt to court skin flint loud wingers who historically talk much but run fast when it comes to opening their wallets/purses

I would expect Ricoh to produce a camera with a decent feature set at a fair price to attract sane consumers as such around £1800 - £2300

History has shown that even if Pentax produced a £1200 ff offering all those (I need ff I'll leave if the dont) pent up users will find any excuse why they won't buy.
07-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #479
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
With the loud pent up demand for a long telephoto not returning any sales when a product was delivered I don't; see any reason why Pentax would attempt to court skin flint loud wingers who historically talk much but run fast when it comes to opening their wallets/purses

I would expect Ricoh to produce a camera with a decent feature set at a fair price to attract sane consumers as such around £1800 - £2300

History has shown that even if Pentax produced a £1200 ff offering all those (I need ff I'll leave if the dont) pent up users will find any excuse why they won't buy.
The feature set may be OK but the overall construction, geometry and optical performance of that lens leaves mush to be desired. If the long telephoto had been designed by the Ricoh/Pentax team to the performance of the 150-450 zoom it would have been well received. This appears to be some 'dusted off" telescope design with some physical engineering to slap it on a K mount.
07-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #480
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I seriously doubt a Tamron rep knows anything about a Pentax FF apart from what he reads on this forum...

You'd be surprised what info passes between reps....in every industry.