Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #481
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A few comments about the vignetting issues that were brought up earlier. The shorter the flange to sensor distance the worse the vignetting problem. What causes this is the same thing that causes the increased wide angle distortion near the edges for a shorter flange to sensor distance; the distance from the flange to the edge is longer than the distance from the flange to center of the sensor. This causes the objects near the edge of the frame to be magnified more than objects toward the center of the frame - when they get bigger they get dimmer too - hence the vignetting. A second cause of vignetting is when something physically obstructs part of the light from the lens from reaching the sensor. A long flange distance lens like a Nikon or Pentax requires a long adapter on a short flange distance camera like a Sony A7 series. That long adapter tube means that some of the light from the lens might be blocked by the mount from reaching the sensor causing the edge darkening of vignetting. Just because a given film era Pentax lens exhibits vignetting on a Canon or Sony full frame does not necessarily mean it would vignette the same way on a Pentax FF camera.

08-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #482
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But these days there is a lot of choice and it feels like even smaller sensor sizes provide excellent image quality. Bigger sensors still give better quality, but for many people four thirds and APS-C are "good enough" for the majority of situations.
The magic words are "good enough"... which means end of discussion or argument. I had recently engaged in conversation with someone who claims the image quality from his Lumix FZ200 is almost as good as taken from his Canon 5DMKII; it was "good enough" for him.
08-11-2015, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #483
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You'd be surprised what info passes between reps....in every industry.
On Aug. 7, Intel announced new Xeon CPU's that would be usable for a high end workstation laptop. Today, Lenovo announced two new laptops. Wow, that was pretty quick unless Lenovo has known for quite some time about these new chips.

It's very likely that Tamron has some knowledge about the upcoming FF since they already have a history with Pentax/Ricoh. Reps probably don't know all the details but they do pick up tidbits here and there. There are usually some strict confidentiality agreements but stuff always leaks out. I would think that a rep who runs his mouth about such things probably won't have the job very long.
08-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #484
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
On Aug. 7, Intel announced new Xeon CPU's that would be usable for a high end workstation laptop. Today, Lenovo announced two new laptops. Wow, that was pretty quick unless Lenovo has known for quite some time about these new chips.

It's very likely that Tamron has some knowledge about the upcoming FF since they already have a history with Pentax/Ricoh. Reps probably don't know all the details but they do pick up tidbits here and there. There are usually some strict confidentiality agreements but stuff always leaks out. I would think that a rep who runs his mouth about such things probably won't have the job very long.
We get the point but Intel is a known critical supplier to Lenovo so obviously they work together. Maybe it exists but I've never seen public info on Tamron being a key supplier to Ricoh/Pentax. That said, it's quite possible some info passed between the companies that's not yet public.

08-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #485
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
We get the point but Intel is a known critical supplier to Lenovo so obviously they work together. Maybe it exists but I've never seen public info on Tamron being a key supplier to Ricoh/Pentax. That said, it's quite possible some info passed between the companies that's not yet public.
They produce some lenses for Pentax like the 18-270... The minimum expertaction is for the lense to still perform well on the new bodies even if only crop mode!
08-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #486
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
All that would be required would be one re- badged lens and Tamron would have plenty of info. Japan also has different rules about sharing technology and public disclosure. Of course, this is the internet and the BS is usually knee deep most of the time. We'll know all about it in a couple of months anyway and everybody will be cheering loudly or crying in their beer, or both.
08-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #487
Pentaxian

All that would be required would be one re- badged lens and Tamron would have plenty of info. Japan also has different rules about sharing technology and public disclosure. Of course, this is the internet and the BS is usually knee deep most of the time. We'll know all about it in a couple of months anyway and everybody will be cheering loudly or crying in their beer, or both.
I failed at being clear and I apologize. Tamron could make a bunch of Pentax lenses and yet there is still this element of "need to know". Would Ricoh want Tamron to know they are coming out with a FF camera some day? Probably so. Would they want Tamron to know anything more than that considering they compete for lens sales? Very doubtful, IMHO. That's not to say someone didn't spill the beans but I can't imagine that was part of a plan.
08-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #488
Site Supporter

Imho, but we will see later if this makes sense, Ricoh have very probably restaured their historical lens relationships with both Tamron and Tokina.
I strongly feel the roadmapped 15-30/2.8mm and 24-70/2.8mm zooms will respectively be the new results of these resumed cooperations.
Indeed, if asahiman is correct, 5 prime lenses are in the pipe for next year, amongst them very probably the 3 princesses, but also 2 new ones, including a 180mm macro.

In the meantime, new lenses are in the pipe for 645, K/DA and Q formats.

So, taking into account the average known production capability of Pentax, which is roughly one new lens for each format per year.... you see what i mean.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 08-11-2015 at 12:19 PM.
08-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #489
Pentaxian

One of the hard realities Ricoh has to face is that the Pentax lens manufacturing business was chopped up and downsized in recent years. I think they are going to be forced to contract out some lenses. I'm really not up on Ricoh history so I don't know whether they manufactured their own film era lenses or farmed that business out. Regardless, they were out of the SLR business for years so none of that capability exists any more. Back in the day, Asahi made lenses for other manufacturers as well as their own cameras.
08-11-2015, 12:32 PM - 2 Likes   #490
Site Supporter

Much gold ahead!
08-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #491
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Imho, but we will see later if this makes sense, Ricoh have very probably restaured their historical lens relationships with both Tamron and Tokina.
I strongly feel the roadmapped 15-30/2.8mm and 24-70/2.8mm zooms will respectively be the new results of these resumed cooperations.
Indeed, if asahiman is correct, 5 prime lenses are in the pipe for next year, amongst them very probably the 3 princesses, but also 2 new ones, including a 180mm macro.

In the meantime, new lenses are in the pipe for 645, K/DA and Q formats.

So, taking into account the average known production capability of Pentax, which is roughly one new lens for each format per year.... you see what i mean.
You have a real source for theses very precise prediction (180 macro...) or is it just wishfull thinking?
08-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #492

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You'd be surprised what info passes between reps....in every industry.
You are right, but sometimes there is purposeful disinformation.
08-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #493
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Back in the day, Asahi made lenses for other manufacturers as well as their own cameras.
Nope but a few exceptions addict.
08-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #494
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Much gold ahead!
08-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #495
Pentaxian

One of the hard realities Ricoh has to face is that the Pentax lens manufacturing business was chopped up and downsized in recent years. I think they are going to be forced to contract out some lenses.
We don't know if they really are production capacity constrained. We do know Ricoh recently invested in "increasing production capacity for digital cameras, etc."; so perhaps they are ready for some planned increase in volume. I don't expect a huge increase in production, but a gradual increase when there's a proven demand.

Except for the usual Tamron rebadge, I'm sure all their lenses will be marked as "Assembled in Vietnam", as usual.