Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I seriously doubt a Tamron rep knows anything about a Pentax FF apart from what he reads on this forum...
The lens representatives from Sigma, Tamron, etc. at Photokina 2014 knew a lot more about the Pentax FF than what was known at this forum at the time.

Regarding the 42MP BSI sensor, I'd say it is highly unlikely that it will be found in the Pentax FF model. This sensor mostly excels at (4K) video. While it will be great at stills as well, the BSI technology won't be able to do wonders for noise (as noise levels are already very low) and the main motivation for using it is increasing read-out speed.

Pentax has not been strong on video and I don't expect them to become a video force with the FF model. Hence the considerable expense for the 42MP BSI sensor would not be justified.

06-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Ah but if one is shooting MF landscapes, I'd imagine they'd be using a very sturdy tripod. So would ISO really matter?
Yes ISO matters. At higher pixel densities, even base ISO can be quite noisy.

Steve
06-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
Guys, a 42mpx ff doesnt affect a 50mpx 645, the same way a 24mpx apsc doesnt affect a 16mpx ff. It is all abour purpose.
Absolutely. As has been discussed at great depth in regards to FF 35mm vs. APS-C. The different formats are best viewed as tools to different tasks. A snow shovel suck for digging trenches.

The idea that sales are driven primarily by brand and tier (...I want a Pentax and the "best" Pentax is the 645Z, so that is what I buy...) is sort of silly. In reality, for general shooting, the 645Z is not the best Pentax and for most users, neither is the K-3. Similarly, the new FF will be featured according to target market. Think of it this way, does the Sony A7II or A7s compete for the same dollar with the A7rII?

Steve
06-25-2015, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Today I went to my local camera store to get a new gimbal head. The Tamron rep was there at the time and between him and the store owner I have these rumors.

#1. Ricoh is going to open a factory service center in the US in 2016.

#2. The new full frame Pentax will have the Sony 42 MP sensor from the a7R II.

#3. Tamron will be adding new Pentax K mount lenses because of the above.
IMHO...#1 makes sense, particularly if a "pro support" capability is required for FF, 645, and High end APSC.
#2 absolutely makes sense since SONY wants to sell sensors, and not cameras,. A big deal to be cut, R&D to be shared (not the first time)
#3 Is the surest thing of the 3. Long history of collabs in FA and DA. Glass substrate sourcing too. Tokina was a dog, Hoya's idea of how to w#0r3 up the PENTAX intellectual property.

Pentax cannot launch a 3xmp FF. Already obsolete from a pixel density pov. Same thing happened with 12mp when others were at 16 in '09. 42mp with PS is a player. RICOH is a class outfit, won't do less....

---------- Post added 06-25-15 at 02:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
IMHO...#1 makes sense, particularly if a "pro support" capability is required for FF, 645, and High end APSC.
#2 absolutely makes sense since SONY wants to sell sensors, and not cameras,. A big deal to be cut, R&D to be shared (not the first time)
#3 Is the surest thing of the 3. Long history of collabs in FA and DA. Glass substrate sourcing too. Tokina was a dog, Hoya's idea of how to w#0r3 up the PENTAX intellectual property.

Pentax cannot launch a 3xmp FF. Already obsolete from a pixel density pov. Same thing happened with 12mp when others were at 16 in '09. 42mp with PS is a player. RICOH is a class outfit, won't do less....
Prediction.... RICOH buys Leica, Schneider, Olympus, or SONY (cameras/ rokkor shop) in a year....

06-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote

---------- Post added 06-25-15 at 02:03 PM ----------

Prediction.... RICOH buys Leica, Schneider, Olympus, or SONY (cameras/ rokkor shop) in a year....
#2 -- I think Sony wants to sell a lot of cameras. They keep pushing the envelope with new offerings (IMHO).
06-25-2015, 11:08 AM   #66
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Regarding the 42MP BSI sensor, I'd say it is highly unlikely that it will be found in the Pentax FF model. This sensor mostly excels at (4K) video. While it will be great at stills as well, the BSI technology won't be able to do wonders for noise (as noise levels are already very low) and the main motivation for using it is increasing read-out speed.

Maybe it will be some revision of this sensor for Ricoh?
06-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Philippos Quote
I don't know why nobody has mentioned it yet, but, Multishot (hi res mode) with the new 42 MPx sensor will be the landcsape photographer's dream.
But, if the rumour's true, price will be well over $2K (closer to $3K) so, not for me...

Only if software is available to easily deal with areas pixelated by movement.
06-25-2015, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #68

I would love to see #1 happen. Current Pentax Service Center is probably one of the worst in any industry.

06-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #69

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
#1. Ricoh is going to open a factory service center in the US in 2016.

#2. The new full frame Pentax will have the Sony 42 MP sensor from the a7R II.

#3. Tamron will be adding new Pentax K mount lenses because of the above.
Be still my heart...
06-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #70

Tamron has loads of FF proven glass designs that only need to be mounted modern lens bodies. just build them again and, in any case, add AF and a K-mount.
06-26-2015, 12:31 AM   #71
Site Supporter

Best new kit for Pentax FF is Tamron 28-75 / F 2.8.
Pentax rebranding it and have new lens for his FF body ;-)
06-26-2015, 01:05 AM   #72
Site Supporter

The last time I spoke to a Tamron rep at a demonstration they put on at the local camera store, I asked when they were going to come out with some more lenses for Pentax. He basically told me that Tamron doesn't feel there is enough of a market to expand their present offerings for Pentax users.
06-26-2015, 01:48 AM - 2 Likes   #73
Site Supporter

That can and will change.
06-26-2015, 06:20 AM   #74
Site Supporter

Signed here : kenspo.
06-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
#2 -- I think Sony wants to sell a lot of cameras. They keep pushing the envelope with new offerings (IMHO).
Everyone does, I agree. But the SONY camera business is being "shopped" due to unrecoverable losses. They always saw cameras being part of demand creation for sensors. Their COGS on cameras is killing them. All over int'l capital markets. The "buy" is buy the cameras unit, dump Zeiss for A & E mounts, move SONY lens mfg to Vietnam, kill the SLR line, keep the high end smalls, commercial video and MILC lines, grab SLR lens designs, make the good ones in "K" mount, kill the crap. At least that what the "bankers" think... But "I know nothing" as Sgt Shultz would say...