Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 124 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2015, 02:55 AM   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
but it isn't a cost effective route for Pentax's first dslr FF body in my opinion.
Same here. Based on previous oracular advice from asahi man, I believe Ricoh will push ahead with a performance tuned 36MP sensor. Not exactly the same Sony IMX094AQP as the D800 from early 2012, which is getting a bit old and might be Nikon designed, but a tweaked 2015 version. Hopefully with an updated Milbeaut image processor running alongside it, and a upgraded SAFOX AF system too.

07-04-2015, 02:59 AM   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
surely there will some sort of leak soon to keep us going
07-04-2015, 04:25 AM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
surely there will some sort of leak soon to keep us going
May not be needed.
From the evidence of the last few years, Pentax FF speculations are self-sustaining. No need for external (or real-world) inputs.
07-05-2015, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
From the evidence of the last few years, Pentax FF speculations are self-sustaining. No need for external (or real-world) inputs.
+1. The hard part is keeping the speculations under control, not keeping them going. I'm expect a complete melt down and server crash this fall.............

07-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We're all going to need bigger chips.... No... Drives.... No....CPUs..... No.... GPUs... No... Monitors.... No....PCs..... No, I mean MORE STUFF. Carlin would be proud....
07-06-2015, 06:22 AM   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
The dslr version of the A7RII sensor would require a major rework and a complete new series of engineering samples to start mass production. It takes time to debug a new process with the related lower yield and increased cost. I know that it will happen, but it isn't a cost effective route for Pentax's first dslr FF body in my opinion. I base this on my eighteen years in semiconductor fabrication with Sony.
If Ricoh wanted the Sony 42mp sensor without the on-chip PDAF, that could be done via a contract rather than a new chip design. Sony provides the existing sensor at a negotiated price while Ricoh agrees that the PDAF feature will not be used.
07-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
If Ricoh wanted the Sony 42mp sensor without the on-chip PDAF, that could be done via a contract rather than a new chip design. Sony provides the existing sensor at a negotiated price while Ricoh agrees that the PDAF feature will not be used.
How does Ricoh not using part of that sensor make it cost less for Sony to produce?

07-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #218
Veteran Member

It looks as if that Sony sensor has some pretty amazing focusing capabilities even if they are in their infancy. So why would Pentax or anyone else not want them, assuming they are available which they may not be, of course? I mean, Ricoh or Nikon aren't that likely to say "Hello Sony, we'd like your new sensor please but remember to downgrade the AF capability to ensure that our implementation is crap by comparison and you can sell more cameras into our markets as a result." This all strikes me as part of a long-term trend towards building more into the sensor and its electronics. Whatever the reasons for that - technical or economic or both - it gives the sensor-maker more to sell and so more of a whip hand when it comes to pricing et al. Maybe it's a case of get on the bus now or spend an awful long time waiting by the side of the road.
07-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #219
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
How does Ricoh not using part of that sensor make it cost less for Sony to produce?
It doesn't.

It would protect Sony from a tiny source of competition for a product that is current losing money,
so Sony in essence would be paying Pentax to reduce competition.

I'm not sure that the resulting product would be legal in either the US or EU
because of laws limiting anti-competitive agreements.
07-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It doesn't.

It would protect Sony from a tiny source of competition for a product that is current losing money,

I've had a bunch of training in anti-trust law and I don't think there's anything in that type of agreement that regulators would complain about. Sony's biggest problem would result from them refusing to sell a sensor to someone when they are selling it to someone else (other than internally).
07-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It's less expensive for Sony to produce many identical 42mp sensors than it is for them to produce separate models with and without PDAF. The 42mp chip with PDAF is already designed and in production. Turning off PDAF would require redesign work, testing, separate production runs, and a part in Sony's inventory.
07-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #222
Pentaxian

Other way round : Pentax is to take all the gist of the new 42Mpix Sony sensor with the best live-view autofocus an SLR did ever have
07-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
It looks as if that Sony sensor has some pretty amazing focusing capabilities even if they are in their infancy. So why would Pentax or anyone else not want them, assuming they are available which they may not be, of course? I mean, Ricoh or Nikon aren't that likely to say "Hello Sony, we'd like your new sensor please but remember to downgrade the AF capability to ensure that our implementation is crap by comparison and you can sell more cameras into our markets as a result." This all strikes me as part of a long-term trend towards building more into the sensor and its electronics. Whatever the reasons for that - technical or economic or both - it gives the sensor-maker more to sell and so more of a whip hand when it comes to pricing et al. Maybe it's a case of get on the bus now or spend an awful long time waiting by the side of the road.
If the Pentax FF uses a conventional DSLR mirror design, no light hits the sensor until after the shutter is released. Things need to be in focus before releasing the shutter so a separate PDAF module is required.

If the FF is a mirrorless or translucent mirror design, then on-chip PDAF becomes meaningful.
07-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It doesn't.

It's less expensive for Sony to produce many identical 42mp sensors than it is for them to produce separate models with and without PDAF. The 42mp chip with PDAF is already designed and in production. Turning off PDAF would require redesign work, testing, separate production runs, and a part in Sony's inventory.
...Until the firmware gets hacked and PDAF is enabled. It could go right into the "Pentax firware hacking revived"-thread.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Other way round : Pentax is to take all the gist of the new 42Mpix Sony sensor with the best live-view autofocus an SLR did ever have
That would be a DSLR with LV that's far far better then the OVF.
07-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #225
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax patented an adjustable translucence mirror. PDAF is easily the #1 complaint of Pentax users for years now. If Sony offered an off the shelf PD on chip solution they'd be crazy to not implement it.