Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Price check aisle 9......

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I cannot see how the K200D is better in features and specifications than the entry level DSLRs of C and N such as D60, 450D or even the new EOS 1000D, although it is true that the K200D is priced higher which is the only true statement which I can see. In contrast, the reverse is true.

Nonsense as usual:

06-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Nonsense as usual:
Thanks Jeff...Nuff Said...
06-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I agree, having no "K1000D" at the moment they should have kept the K100D for the time being and sell it to compete with D40/rebel Xsi etc.
Pentax may not have the production facilities to maintain the K100D/K100D Super as RaduA has pointed out. More importantly, the market has moved beyond 6.1 megapixels as the entry level.

Here in Singapore, you can't even find a Nikon D40 or D40X because they have been withdrawn and replaced by the D60. If you can find one, it's old unsold stock. Don't know about you folks in the US or Europe but over here, things move very fast here.

Right now there is a consumer electronics fair in Singapore. The company that is selling a lot of camera gear is Sony, despite the fact that Sony lenses and accessories cost an arm and a leg.

Don't know why many here are ga-ga over the Olympus E420 because it is simply NOT selling over here. In fact, I personally know a few people who have regretted buying Olympus and who have switched camp because of shortcomings of the cameras. As for Pentax, the local agent (who was the local agent for Nikon for so many years) is doing a horrible job selling even the K200D, what more the K20D. It is cheaper to buy outside the fair, and they tell you this!!! Can you believe this?
06-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Agreed x3

I'm totally agreed with you for all your viewpoints. Ned's statements are indeed unrealistic and doesn't make any sense to us at all. It sound more like pure sales talks than sensible claims and statements, very frankly.

QuoteOriginally posted by PENTAX K Quote
Yes, but I think his statement regarding entry level SLR as merely P & S cameras is very inaccurate. I see nothing wrong with a $450 Pentax body, with reasonably priced lens's. These entry level buyers are likely to be brand loyal as their needs and skill increase.
The more I think about Ned's interview, the more I am shaking my head. He says: "Pentax had great success with the K1000 in the ’70s and ’80s, as the photography student’s first SLR, when it was time to upgrade, many of them moved up to another brand. So we never gained a long-term relationship with these customers." That is a very untrue statement. How many Pentax users on this board had K1000 cameras. I did, and mine was used and beat on, but I loved it. When I was ready to move over to a DSLR from my Sony P&S, I would have definately gone with Canon or Nikon if not the experience with my old film K1000. Also, had my only option been a $1300 istD, I would have bought the EOS. The $600 ist DS fit my budget, and that's what I got. I have since purchased the K100d, K10D, and K20D.
So in conclusion, I feel that Ned's statement is either naive, or he is trying to not let the cat out of the bag in regard to a new model coming out. At the same time, what else could he say...."gee, we only have 2 models because that's all we can afford to market and develop". That would sound worse I suppose/ My opinion, I think Pentax needs the 20, 200, 2000, and a K1d. People invest in systems, and they always look to move up.

06-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

So little offers?

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Thanks Jeff...Nuff Said...
How about the D40X, D60, A200, A300, 400D, E-410/420, E-510/E-520 and also the upcoming EOS 1000D then. What are their official and street prices?
06-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member

XSi = eos 1000d

isn't the d40x discontinued, since they introduced the d60? plus, all you mentioned were the d60, eos 450d and 1000d
06-15-2008, 02:10 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Here in Singapore, you can't even find a Nikon D40 or D40X because they have been withdrawn and replaced by the D60. If you can find one, it's old unsold stock. Don't know about you folks in the US or Europe but over here, things move very fast here.
But it would have been better than nothing. They could also have managed a simple sensor swap for the Sony 10Mpix CCD and sell as is... a K100DX or something.

I agree on the facilities limited production, it is indeed problematic.

06-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Nonsense as usual:

With this in mind, perhaps Pentax could add just one model to their line up. That model being a pro K1D model, then lower the price further for the 200, as to compete with the entry level Canon and Nikon models.

My thought is that Pentax really needs to compete at the entry level point to get first time buyers of DSLR's. It appears the K200D is almost there already, so put it there and make it the entry level killer.
06-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #39
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
XSi = eos 1000d

isn't the d40x discontinued, since they introduced the d60? plus, all you mentioned were the d60, eos 450d and 1000d
I am sorry, the XSI is not the 1000d. The XS is the 1000d. Besides that, I agree with the fact that the k200d is competitively priced althought it lacks some bells and whistles that I dont care too much about (live view, tiny viewfinder, a couple of MP..)
06-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I agree with Ned; I think the K200D is "low end" enough. It can be had now with a lens for $580 (after rebate). That is in the ballpark of everyone else, and is better made then either the xS/xSi, D40, or Sony A200/350. I personally would have no use for a camera with fewer features than the K200D.I wouldn't mind a small body to go with the pancake lenses, but I don't want to sacrifice features; I'd still want dual control wheels, weather proofing, pentaprism, etc.

That said, I still question the purpose for such a camera. Unless you enjoy wearing cargo pants everywhere the E-420 still won't fit in your pocket even with a pancake lens. I'd much rather have a Ricoh GX100 with an APS-C or 4/3's size sensor. Sigma tried and failed with the DP1; if Pentax truly wants to find a niche that could be it. Photographers have begged for such a camera and no one other than Sigma seems to be listening.
06-16-2008, 04:53 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In that interview, Ned says about four or five times that is Pentax is a niche player and that they do not intend to break the market, but on the contrary want to be a little player with quality and feature rich niche products...

They can say all what they want, but the K20 nor the K200 are real niche products, and it is time that Pentax comes out with real niche products, products that makes them stand out of the crowd and that the big players (C/N/S) there not introduce...

They should long have a limited body to match the limited lenses. That shouldn't be so hard to do, should it?

I didn't study marketing, but I do have may fair share of common sense...
06-16-2008, 04:56 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxkat Quote
why buy a new camera? Get a used DS. Unless you need more resolution or want to do action its a great little camera.

No SR, but then the olympus doesn't have that either.

Pentaprism viewfinder almost as good as the old Super A/ME supers. Great for manual focusing. Small, compact, takes AA batteries.

Perfect travel camera. A lot of friends don't even realise its and SLR until I start changing lenses!

I laugh at all the poor reviews when it came out now. Its a cult classic IMO.
Problem with that is that Pentax shut that door. You can't use the new 17-70 with a ist series, nor will it be compatible with all SDM lenses to come...
I pray every day for an updated version of the ist D. Shouldn't be so much: only a little faster and SDM compatible (oh, and while I'm at it, do away with the silly joypad, and place a joystick instead...)
06-16-2008, 05:21 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote

I didn't study marketing, but I do have may fair share of common sense...
I did study marketing and it is amazing how often they don't use common sense. The K20D comes close to being a niche market item. If they had not caved into pressure and made it 12 MP the industry would be raving about ISO performance.

My hope is Ned wasn't blowing smoke and they are serious about not following the crowd. If the next model is truly a niche product, regardless of the niche, I'll probably buy it at the introductory price.

Ken
06-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
They can say all what they want, but the K20 nor the K200 are real niche products,
IMO they ARE niche products... but maybe not the niche you expected
06-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #45

If you really wantd to grab the P&S crowd, lock them into interchangeable lens system and make the ultimate fashion statement I would make a rangefinder camera a la Leica M8.