Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 06:27 AM   #46
Vil
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PENTAX K Quote
The more I think about Ned's interview, the more I am shaking my head. He says: "Pentax had great success with the K1000 in the ’70s and ’80s, as the photography student’s first SLR, when it was time to upgrade, many of them moved up to another brand. So we never gained a long-term relationship with these customers." That is a very untrue statement. How many Pentax users on this board had K1000 cameras. I did, and mine was used and beat on, but I loved it. When I was ready to move over to a DSLR from my Sony P&S, I would have definately gone with Canon or Nikon if not the experience with my old film K1000. Also, had my only option been a $1300 istD, I would have bought the EOS. The $600 ist DS fit my budget, and that's what I got. I have since purchased the K100d, K10D, and K20D.

From my experience, Ned's statement rings true. I know a few former K1000 users who, when it was time to move to DLSRs, didn't give Pentax a second thought. Because of Pentax's slow transition to digital and lack of advertising they moved on to other brands. When I told a couple of them that I purchased a K10D they were surprised to hear Pentax had such a competative digital camera.

06-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vil Quote
From my experience, Ned's statement rings true. I know a few former K1000 users who, when it was time to move to DLSRs, didn't give Pentax a second thought. Because of Pentax's slow transition to digital and lack of advertising they moved on to other brands.
I was one of those K1000 users in college from 97-98 or so. I kept it and bought a Canon Digital G2 after college (DSLRs weren't up to snuff at the time). Then when it finally came time to but a DSLR it was just a fluke that I found the K100D/K10D. I had no idea Pentax was still making SLR's. I just happened to see one in a small camera shop and asked to see it. Then I went online and read all about them and decided to go with Pentax. Lets just say Pentax's visibility could be a touch better.

Even now I have to call all the local camera shops to confirm they have Pentax gear before hand so I don't waste a trip. I know they say they can't meet demand, want to be a niche player, etc...but they simply have to get the K200D into a big box store. IMO the K200D is no more "niche" then the Rebel XSi is "niche". They are both really, really good SLR's for either first time buyers or for people that prefer smaller cameras. There's nothing niche about it. What exactly is the point of making such a camera if first time SLR buyers can't even find it on a shelf? Especially when they can easily test out the Sony A200/D60/XSi at any Best Buy they go to? Why would someone go out of their way for a camera a lot of reviewers say is inferior to the XSi?

Now if they made a range finder, or APS-C pocket cam then they would have a niche product.
06-17-2008, 03:09 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
IMO they ARE niche products... but maybe not the niche you expected
Pray: what is so 'niche' about the K20/K200?
06-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brothereye Quote
And I will third it, my DS and K100D with 35mm or 50mm (MF) primes are small and light weight, very handy and quite capable cameras. It would have been nice to see Pentax either retain the K100D super in the line priced to compete with the D40 or introduce a very slightly modified K100Ds to continue competing in the very bottom part of the market.

And I'll add, that if you check amazon, the K200d is in the top 10 bestselling DSLR cameras, and the K20D is in the top 25, at least when I checked this morning.
How do you check top selling DLSRs at Amazon ?

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Lets just say Pentax's visibility could be a touch better.
This is the days understatement. In the film days I looked hard into the SLR market, and found Pentax. There is little use in making great cameras, if the consumers don't know about them, or can't get to them. Lets see if this new marketing company in the US can help.

06-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
How do you check top selling DLSRs at Amazon ?
Amazon.com Camera & Photo Bestsellers: The most popular items in Digital SLRs. Updated hourly.
06-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Thanks. Both Pentax DSLRs are in the top 25 best selling, and both above their Sony counterparts.
Canon and Nikon own the DSLR top 10, with only the clearance of Oly 510 stock being there.