Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #136

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I really don't get this nonsence as a pro that make a living out of photography one should be able to have some spare material anyway.
I completely agree on that. I never shoot a wedding with fewer than 3 bodies and most important lenses with 2 examples (eg. 16-50 + 15/31/55; 60-250 + 85/100/200) as well as at least 2 flashes. Otherwise I wouldn't feel comfortable...

07-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #137
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I really don't get this nonsence as a pro that make a living out of photography one should be able to have some spare material anyway.

My understanding is that if you have clients and work to do, you should have the backup gear available NOW. Even if some other brand make you wait only 1-2 days, that can already mean a few shooting session missed. Also if I need a new K3, I can just take a car and buy it locally or alternativelly I can get a new one at Amazon and ask to be delivered tomorrow at noon.

I mean if I'am a pro and my car break I might be just in a situation as bad as if my camera break and there no way canikon will solve this for me anyway.
Sure you should have back up. Still 1-2 days vs 4 weeks is pretty substantial, wouldn't you agree?
Also, having to call between the hours of 8-5PM mountain time vs 24/7 support is nice. So is having multiple authorized repair facilities vs one.

To me, it isn't anything huge, just a lot of little things that give a lot of folks piece of mind.
07-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
To me, it isn't anything huge, just a lot of little things that give a lot of folks piece of mind.
Agreed. No camera maker needs a repair centre in every city, but they do need to re-assure users that they can be prompt in helping users solve repair and support problems.

Your example involving B&H however highlights some of the complex dimensions of delivering great, perceived camera support. If front-line retailers like B&H had slow or complex return policies due to emerging QC or other issues, the problem in the first instance may largely be with the retailer, but users will feel the issue immediately belongs to the manufacturer (Nikon, Ricoh etc).

Also +1 for backup gear. I'm no pro, but for any important event I always have two of everything - bodies, lenses, flash etc.
07-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #139
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Also +1 for backup gear. I'm no pro, but for any important event I always have two of everything - bodies, lenses, flash etc.
Gosh, when I go on vacation I have a 'Plan B' rig. It might only be a Q kit in a bag the size of a paperback, but it's still a backup plan.

07-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #140
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Unfortunately Roger Cicala hasn't done one of these for a while, and hasn't included Pentax, but it's the sort of survey one needs to do to give 'terrible' or 'great' some real meaning. [See the bottom of the article].

LensRentals.com - Lensrentals Repair Data: 2012-2013

'Terrible' can also be:

(a) a relative measure (relative to the repair turnaround of other companies: a number like 15 days repair turnaround may appear terrible for Pentax, but if Nikon is 25 days, is Pentax still going to be 'terrible'?), or

(b) a quality measure - ie did the repair actually totally fix the problem, or did the problem recur and so the repair needed to be re-done.

Related to quality, there's the time dimension of 'terrible' too.

If a repair is turned around quickly, so the repair shop did the job quickly (and thus you were able to get the camera back in time to shoot that important wedding), you might judge the repair service 'great', not terrible.

But if, 9 months later, the item needs to be repaired again for the same problem, judged over the course of a year, you might indeed judge the repair service 'terrible', since the item had to be fixed twice. But then if the repaired item worked fine for 10 years afterwards, you might re-think whether the repair service was indeed 'terrible' after all.

tl; dr - 'terrible' service and support needs qualification sometimes.
Well that is certainly some spin. I think terrible is terrible. A and B... as well as C (cost -- they are pricey). Face it, Precision stinks. Claiming the service isn't bad because Nikon's is worse is not really comforting haha. That is the same failed argument about renting software is cheap because it is the cost of a single Starbucks outing. Just because you take money out of your wallet then proceed to ignite it with a lighter doesn't mean everyone else is doing that.

And I think the pricing is up there on purpose. Closing the parts side means they are one of the very few (I think them and KEH so far) that can get parts. I contacted a handful of repair facilities recently and every single one of them referred me to Ricoh because they said they couldn't order parts.

So we're stuck.
07-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #141
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
So we're stuck.
If you live in the USA.

As Mr Cicala did say in his article:
"Remember that service varies greatly geographically. We are U.S. only; service is very different in Europe, Asia, even Canada. The data below is only pertinent to you if you live in the U. S."

So I am not attempting to justify the Precision repair service, since I have no experience of them, and likely never will. Just providing some comment about how complex judging good and bad performance can be for these things.

In Australia we have have had the same Pentax distributor for decades, and their repair and service reputation seems OK. I suspect Ricoh won't be changing much here.
07-17-2015, 02:52 AM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Well that is certainly some spin. I think terrible is terrible. A and B... as well as C (cost -- they are pricey). Face it, Precision stinks. Claiming the service isn't bad because Nikon's is worse is not really comforting haha. That is the same failed argument about renting software is cheap because it is the cost of a single Starbucks outing. Just because you take money out of your wallet then proceed to ignite it with a lighter doesn't mean everyone else is doing that.

And I think the pricing is up there on purpose. Closing the parts side means they are one of the very few (I think them and KEH so far) that can get parts. I contacted a handful of repair facilities recently and every single one of them referred me to Ricoh because they said they couldn't order parts.

So we're stuck.
I think Precision varies a lot. I've sent them gear and gotten it back in five business days. I have also sent them a lens and had them sit on it for four and a half months waiting for parts and when they sent it back, the lens wouldn't focus to infinity and I had to pay for shipping to send it back for them to fix it (they got it back to me really fast the second time).

Some of that is on Ricoh. If Precision has to wait for parts, then they can't do much about it. I personally found it a lot easier to communicate with CRIS and get updates on gear that I had sent them. Precision is pretty hard to get a hold of, unless they want your credit card information to pay for a repair.
07-17-2015, 06:07 AM   #143
Site Supporter

I think we need another little leak, to get this rumour chat back on track

07-17-2015, 06:23 AM   #144
Site Supporter

Sorry, i can't help :P
07-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #145
Site Supporter

liar !
07-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #146
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
HaHa, I wouldn't expect you to, secrecy and all with Pentax, but I reckon August should see a little more info on both models. At least I hope so.
07-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Could you be more specific? What are the specs you can't tell us about, for example?
07-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #148
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Could you be more specific? What are the specs you can't tell us about, for example?
hahaha nice.. really nice.
07-17-2015, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #149
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Hi.
Anybody saw this rumor?

[source: A7000 delay and some more info about it (via Ricoh/Nikon sources) | sonyalpharumors ]

(if known, sorry for disturbing and please delete post -- OTOH, the A7000 (A6000 successor) will be especially good in the on-sensor phase detect department; would be interesting to see which kind of product Ricoh is going to make out of it ... also, the exact date of announcement would be 6 month after A7000 )
Falk, please get us another rumor! This one has long since wandered into oblivion and lacks focus. A new rumor will give us direction for a few pages before again wandering aimlessly..... ;-)
07-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #150
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
another rumor! This one has long since wandered into oblivion and lacks focus. A new rumor will give us direction for a few pages before again wandering aimlessly..... ;-)
That is it in a nut shell