Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 164 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2015, 04:10 AM   #226

thanks ,,, no will not buy k3 or k3ii
will wait next one till winter if nothing smart pop out (and k3ii wasnt smart buy if you ask me_)
if not weeel i can easy say that d7200 i way better from k5ii ,,hehe and go that way
and get rid of af lenses and body's ,and use only manual pentax lenses on it
or maybe a7000 but dont like sony lenses ,or af ,nikon rock there

friend have k3 for some time now and difference my k5ii and his k3 is resolution
some tweeks ,and that was it ,someone say better af ,well it hunt down faster but it miss a loot
so from 30 pics on baseball match mine hunt down only 18 sharp
and his k3 20 ,rest is focused on ball or flor or leg or god knows what ,so for me that wasnt better af
only faster to say "hey shoot" and will it miss and focus god knows what
dont know how is situation on d7200 but by specs have more af pixels and points so ??

08-10-2015, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K3 is a significant improvement over the K5. When announced the K3 was certainly among the best APSC DSLR's available. My hope and expectation is that the follow on APSC camera to the K3 is among the best APSC cameras at its introduction in terms of resolution, auto-focus and ergonomics. Early 2016 is probably less than a year away and at that point, from my perspective. it would be a decision of Pentax APSC versus Pentax Full Frame (provided the FF has enough resolution to negate crop factor reach) and a jump to another brand. Since my primary interest is wildlife photography, particularly birds living in Delaware, I feel there is a need for a quantum jump in auto-focus performance. While a change to another brand would be expensive that is not the case if you consider the amount of time spent traveling (including occasional hotels) photographing wildlife. Since Ricoh/Pentax has said industry leading auto focus was important when the K3 was introduced I am expecting a real auto focus marvel with the next Pentax cameras - both FF and APSC. The K3 auto-focus was a significant improvement over the K5 but it was clearly not industry leading at its introduction. If the Pentax Full Frame rumors are true it will only be a few months to know if the next generation of Pentax auto-focus performs up to competitive standards in terms of speed to acquire focus of a moving object and ability to track that object.
08-10-2015, 04:51 AM   #228
Pentaxian

I don't expect any high-end APS-C camera this fiscal year.
08-10-2015, 05:09 AM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dr100hr Quote
thanks ,,, no will not buy k3 or k3ii
will wait next one till winter if nothing smart pop out (and k3ii wasnt smart buy if you ask me_)
if not weeel i can easy say that d7200 i way better from k5ii ,,hehe and go that way
and get rid of af lenses and body's ,and use only manual pentax lenses on it
or maybe a7000 but dont like sony lenses ,or af ,nikon rock there

friend have k3 for some time now and difference my k5ii and his k3 is resolution
some tweeks ,and that was it ,someone say better af ,well it hunt down faster but it miss a loot
so from 30 pics on baseball match mine hunt down only 18 sharp
and his k3 20 ,rest is focused on ball or flor or leg or god knows what ,so for me that wasnt better af
only faster to say "hey shoot" and will it miss and focus god knows what
dont know how is situation on d7200 but by specs have more af pixels and points so ??
It's not possible to use your K mount lenses on a D7200 without an adapter with an optical element. Not a good option. And willing to go all MF because you bought a camera body with better af-tracking looks strange to me (at least).
If you're new to telephoto you have more to get from some experience and working on your skills than buying things. The only AF improvements you'll get over a K3 are AF coverage and tracking, if you miss in any other situation it's on you.
Btw if your main interest is shooting sport events and if you do it often investing in Pentax in the first place was a questionable move.
If you wait until this winter you'll see a FF that's all (and it's perfect this way). I'm shooting with a K5IIs and with a K20D before that, I don't understand how an hobbyist photographer could need to upgrade it's body each and every year.

People are playing baseball in Croatia ?

08-10-2015, 05:25 AM   #230
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
...willing to go all MF because you bought a camera body with better af-tracking looks strange...
LOL
08-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #231

nop i was thinking to use mf lenses same way i do now ,just on new body
af will need fast lenses ,have now 3 f2.8 (17-50 70-200 tamron ,and sdm 50-135 pentax ) bigma
35mm prime ,90 macro tamron ,are af ,i think if i change name on camera it will cost me nice $ to get same set

and mf are... 50mm f1.4,200mm f2.8 , 300mm a* and 300mm m* +400mm f 5.6 that i never use
from pentax
and for m42 ....zenitar 16mm fish,20mm zeiss (f4 not 2.8),35mm zeiss f2.8,vivitar 105 macro f2.8,
zeiss 135 mc f2.8 (my favorite),jupiter 180mm f2.8
have 200mm f2,8 zeiss and takumar 500mm but i get 200mm sdm and bigma and i sold them (i exchange 200mm for 50-135sdm +35mm lens) +++ i have raynox macrolens 250 for macro
so looot's of fun mf lenses to play with

second yep ppl play baseball in croatia not pro just for sake of sport/fun/competition
and i like to watch take pic's ,socker and basketball 2
last thing i take pictures are 300mm a* + bigma and female only surfing on adriatic ,that was fun
i only get cca 15 good pics (could be my shaky hands to fight sr/af ) but fuun : )))

well for me af is no2 for cam and no1 is pentax way of production of image
that's why i want another body ,and second is this k5ii body have cca 80k shots on his back
and it bug's me + i dont see much upgrade from k5ii to k3
i use her for 2 weeks (k3 is from friend) well i got biger raw files ,maybe a bit better in af ,rest same

well will see how pentax see value of his first dslr ff cam
if it's in 2.5-3k$/€ and no next crop cam till winter latest spring ,, by by pentax
08-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #232
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
You know I just checked... For now the price in water 1 cycle is between 0.15 and 0.3$ on a typicall washing machine... At least were I live.

Even if the best washing machine make me gain 0.1$ compared to that because water suddenly become more expensive, for my usage, that's at most 5-10$/year for me. For somebody doing 1 cycle a day, that's maybe 30-40$ a year.

That 20-30 years to make the thing just at equilibrium and by that time your new washing machine might very well fail anyway. From an economic perspective, this is not at all interresting... There so many things that would have greater effect that in term of priority this should be put at the very very bottom of things to do.
I never knew there were new washing machines, ours were always used. We did buy new fridge and stove in the last decade though and replaced a 50 year old freezer with a new one. When our fridge broken down and we called in a repair man both my wife and I had to look at the door of it to see who made it and we had it for about a decade. I am sure most of us know not only the brand but the model of our cameras. OUr washer and dryer are white and I think they are a matched pair. They are in the kitchen so see them every day and use them as often as my wife does but who cares who made them, the features they have are clothes go in on dirty and come out the other dry.

I am currently in the postion where there is no camera body or lens that I am currently thinking of getting for any of my systems. I think Pentax needs to come out with a new APSC body not long after the full frame one comes out and more than likey needs to have two FF bodies on the market, but I have zero interest in any of them.

08-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
The K3 is a significant improvement over the K5. When announced the K3 was certainly among the best APSC DSLR's available.
Maybe among the bests, but surelly significantly worse than the few past Nikon/Canon top line DSLR for AF, in particular for action shoots.
08-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dr100hr Quote
nop i was thinking to use mf lenses same way i do now ,just on new body
af will need fast lenses ,have now 3 f2.8 (17-50 70-200 tamron ,and sdm 50-135 pentax ) bigma
35mm prime ,90 macro tamron ,are af ,i think if i change name on camera it will cost me nice $ to get same set

and mf are... 50mm f1.4,200mm f2.8 , 300mm a* and 300mm m* +400mm f 5.6 that i never use
from pentax
and for m42 ....zenitar 16mm fish,20mm zeiss (f4 not 2.8),35mm zeiss f2.8,vivitar 105 macro f2.8,
zeiss 135 mc f2.8 (my favorite),jupiter 180mm f2.8
have 200mm f2,8 zeiss and takumar 500mm but i get 200mm sdm and bigma and i sold them (i exchange 200mm for 50-135sdm +35mm lens) +++ i have raynox macrolens 250 for macro
so looot's of fun mf lenses to play with

second yep ppl play baseball in croatia not pro just for sake of sport/fun/competition
and i like to watch take pic's ,socker and basketball 2
last thing i take pictures are 300mm a* + bigma and female only surfing on adriatic ,that was fun
i only get cca 15 good pics (could be my shaky hands to fight sr/af ) but fuun : )))

well for me af is no2 for cam and no1 is pentax way of production of image
that's why i want another body ,and second is this k5ii body have cca 80k shots on his back
and it bug's me + i dont see much upgrade from k5ii to k3
i use her for 2 weeks (k3 is from friend) well i got biger raw files ,maybe a bit better in af ,rest same

well will see how pentax see value of his first dslr ff cam
if it's in 2.5-3k$/€ and no next crop cam till winter latest spring ,, by by pentax
Dude what they say to you basically is that you can say you'll switch brand or not, that not change a thing to the releasing of Canon, Nikon or Pentax. And that'll not change a think to anybody here except you. K3-II just been there so the new APSC flagship is to be expected sometime next year, not before. You could expect a replacement for K50 or K-S2 before but it would be quite unlikely for it to have better AF than a K3-II. So really if you don't wanna wait a few more months and will switch anyway you could has well do it now.

K3 is significantly better at AF than K5-IIs while surelly worse than D7000, D7100 or D7200... But on the other hand pro can use even a K5 on action/sport and take lot of great shoots. While Nikon is better, a part comes from the camera, a part from the lense (and the sigma value lenses are not the best out there for that) and the other maybe the most important comes from the photographer... So if really you have issue with your current gear that is far from bad, you make maybe a better investment to learn how to use it properly in difficult action/sport shooting condition first.

Finally many switched already to another brand for AF, action and sport and it really make sense for this kind of situation. There all the gear for it. that doesn't mean you have to use MF for other lenses if you don't want to. Either you keep your K5-IIs that doesn't worth much anyway now and can keep using it for all things not related to sports or you sell everything including the lenses to buy new ones with AF... You'll find other brand as nice lenses too.
08-11-2015, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #235
bxf
Veteran Member

K3 is significantly better at AF than K5-IIs while surelly worse than D7000, D7100 or D7200
Although there is a general consensus about the inadequacy of Pentax AF tracking, evidence has been published showing that Pentax AF is superior in accuracy, if not in speed. For my own needs, I'll take accuracy over speed any day.

Your statement, taken at face value, is unfair and misleading.
08-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Although there is a general consensus about the inadequacy of Pentax AF tracking, evidence has been published showing that Pentax AF is superior in accuracy, if not in speed. For my own needs, I'll take accuracy over speed any day.

Your statement, taken at face value, is unfair and misleading.
Honestly you had to wait for K3 to have sensor point small enough for accuracy to have any meaning. On K5, they are so huge that if you put the sensor to focus on the eye it might at well choose to focus on the nose or on the ear. I would not call this accurate.

Sure K3 off center points changed that but there still many areas where improvements are much needed:
- there no f/8 sensor for work with TC and slow long tele lenses
- Algorithms for prediction in action/sport are not the best yet (and are there only starting with K3 or K3-II)
- There only 1 lense available optimized for fast AF with new K3 / K3-II and that the 150-450, 70-200 will soon follow as I suppose other new lenses but having accurate AF but a lense that is quite slow isn't ideal. We are likely still a few years away until the APSC lenses are released again and optimized for AF performance.

So while on some aspect Pentax AF is great or good enough, it is still behind overall. For common use with latest K3 (and not even with K5 or K5-II) this is now ok, but for action/sports/wildlife there some improvement to be made. And that's the expected from everybody that a flagship APSC camera should be able to perform AF... I mean hopefully, but that's the Pentax that lag behind for action shoots. No the other brands.

I never heard of somebody leaving Nikon or Canon for Pentax due to bad AF on theses brand... while I heard many times the reverse. Maybe Pentax perform better on some theoreticall tests but that maybe also too theoretical.
08-11-2015, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #237
Veteran Member

Or maybe after reading thousands of time that Pentax AF is bad, some are just thinking it's a fact. And as SDM lenses are quite slow (but accurate), they think they are experiencing it and blame the whole AF system. Maybe.
08-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #238
Veteran Member

- there no f/8 sensor for work with TC and slow long tele lenses
I haven't seen any conclusive information to suggest the design and operation of the K-3 PDAF sensor (27 points, 25 cross-type, centre 3 cross-points 'f2.8 luminance flux') will stop working with f8 minimum aperture lenses.
08-11-2015, 09:32 PM   #239
SRD

Photos: Gallery
It works. I have been using HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 with the 1.4x converter alot. The hitrate will be lower and it is not as fast, but it will still work.
https://500px.com/photo/117661211/tjeld-by-svein-rune-djuve?ctx_page=1&from=...ser_id=1177605
08-11-2015, 10:40 PM   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I haven't seen any conclusive information to suggest the design and operation of the K-3 PDAF sensor (27 points, 25 cross-type, centre 3 cross-points 'f2.8 luminance flux') will stop working with f8 minimum aperture lenses.
Sure but it is by design of PDAF sensors, when the apperture is narrower than the one the sensor is designed to work with performance drop significantly or there no AF at all. Officially, when you use the Pentax TC is said that you should use a lense that has an apperture of f/4 or faster... They don't say that just for the fun you know.

Sure it can work at f/8 but as SRD explain, the performance drop significantly.and honestly if the light is not very good it might not work at all.

We can always be wishfull and think that because it is Pentax the physical limitation of the gear will not apply to them... To me it look like a bit of blind fanboyism through. And for a very expensive lense like the 150-450 that has very optimized AF performance, hunting and slowing down because the camera doesn't have the AF sensor made to work at f/8 when you put the TC could be seen as anoying.

I'am happy with my Pentax gear, don't plan to swich brand even if from time to time I would have liked to have the same kind of 80-400 or 70-300 lenses other brand have for a reasonable price/weight or a few other things like that. But that doesn't mean I have to consider they are the absolute best of what exist.

Like my car it is not the faster arround, but it work well. I don't need to buy Fiat because they the ones who also sell Ferari !

Last edited by Nicolas06; 08-11-2015 at 10:49 PM.