Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I would like a Pentax A7000. Can I have one?
Or at least a Ricoh a7000 with AF-capable K-mount adapter. I'd dump my Sony system in a heartbeat.

PS I just noticed, Pentax is not mentioned in the rumour at all. Maybe this sensor will be seen in a Ricoh camera before a Pentax.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-07-2015 at 07:40 AM.
07-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Interesting news, but I'm happy (still) shooting with my K-5. Also my Km, although I will admit that my K10D, is starting to get long in the tooth now.
07-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since Ricoh isn't the fastest company I expect this new aps-c camera to replace K-3ii at Photokina since the Full Frame will be on display at CP+.
07-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Since Ricoh isn't the fastest company I expect this new aps-c camera to replace K-3ii at Photokina since the Full Frame will be on display at CP+.

... in 2016 or maybe even 2017.

07-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Any rumors about the number of mp of this sensor?
07-07-2015, 02:57 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Site Supporter

Until Pentax releases a FF 6X7 sensor, they're doomed. After they release it, they're doomed.
07-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
PS I just noticed, Pentax is not mentioned in the rumour at all. Maybe this sensor will be seen in a Ricoh camera before a Pentax.
If I understand correctly, the rumor says Ricoh because the source works at Ricoh. Could mean both Pentax or Ricoh camera. Although most APSC cameras from Ricoh are Pentax

What I found telling too ... Both Nikon and Ricoh are mentioned, like D7300 and K-3III. As if there is a hidden agenda by Nikon and Pentax to have similiarly specced high end APSC cameras
07-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
That, coupled with the new "variable translucent" Pentax mirror, would still make sense...

ROFL

My thoughts as well, but you beat me to it.

Steve

07-07-2015, 06:07 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
What I found telling too ... Both Nikon and Ricoh are mentioned, like D7300 and K-3III. As if there is a hidden agenda by Nikon and Pentax to have similiarly specced high end APSC cameras
I noted the Ricoh/Nikon connection and thought of Ricoh GR and Nikon Coolpix A, both of which would benefit immensely from "hybrid autofocus tech". I expect all of them, Pentax, Ricoh, Nikon and Fuji are anxious to get hold of an advanced APS-C sensor:
http://www.fujirumors.com/sony-a7000-aps-c-sensor-with-bsi-and-24-or-about-3...o2-with-polls/
07-08-2015, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

(SR3) Sony A7000 is the first E-mount camera with 15.5 stops on sensor HDR! | sonyalpharumors

Sensor with 15.5 stops of dynamic range. That's way more interesting than MP IMHO.
07-08-2015, 06:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
(SR3) Sony A7000 is the first E-mount camera with 15.5 stops on sensor HDR! | sonyalpharumors

Sensor with 15.5 stops of dynamic range. That's way more interesting than MP IMHO.
That's just a variation of the theme electronic first curtain. You reset two pixel groups at two different times resp. (in relation to the closing mechanical curtain). Which makes you effectively obtain two HDR frames of half vertical resolution each.

Even with a clever enough recombining algorithm (which Ricoh would need to develop first) the result is not the same as a native high dynamic range capability. However, it is more powerful than ordinary HDR because it works with moving subjects too.

BTW, the required recombining algorithm isn't that trivial if it attempts to restore the full original resolution. It not only would have to cope with different noise levels. It additionally would have to cope with different motion blur between the two groups of pixels too. Both effects can become a real challenge for a traditional demosaicing algorithm and could have a negative impact at even half the resolution (because the pixel rows aren't evenly spaced then). Therefore, this feature makes most sense with a sensor with many many rows...

Last edited by falconeye; 07-08-2015 at 06:57 AM.
07-08-2015, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please get the syntax right...

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Until Pentax releases a FF 6X7 sensor, they're doomed. After they release it, they're doomed.
It's 'Pentax is doomed...DOOMED!' We've told you this before, man, come on now.

Cheers,
Cameron
07-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Customer pushback to APS?

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Me too.
I was shocked to find out recently that a "standard zoom" f2.8 for full frame, native (Sony A-mount 24-70, Nikon variant, Canon variant) are all around $2000. F2.8 full frame zooms, except for third party, all seem pretty expensive and heavy to me. 2 friends of mine have bought some F4 zoom FF lenses to ease the cost or weight - i'm not sure which. Now there are 3rd party lenses out there with FF F2.8 that are much more reasonable in cost and if i'm not wrong, primes are also more reasonable cost wise than zooms. If you're willing to go with some manual focusing ala A7 type mirrorless, than costs are much much more reasonable.

Without going into horrendous, horrific detail, my only point is that if one is going to buy F4 lenses for their full-frame - there isn't much of FF technical advantage over APS cameras with F2.8 lenses. DXO mark would show SNR and DR curves very comparable between FF F4 and APS F2.8.

I'm just speculating, wildly perhaps, that at some point, there may be a customer pushback for the Aps sweet spot with perhaps f1.8 prime lenses for some uses. Fuji has chosen to stay with APS, may be playing the smart card - only time and customer dollars will show the trend.

Pentax, Nikon and Sony all coming out with a new generation APS cameras is a validation that APS is an important marketplace.

Last edited by philbaum; 07-09-2015 at 07:20 PM.
07-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I was shocked to find out recently that a "standard zoom" f2.8 for full frame, native (Sony A-mount 24-70, Nikon variant, Canon variant) are all around $2000. F2.8 full frame zooms, except for third party, all seem pretty expensive and heavy to me. 2 friends of mine have bought some F4 zoom FF lenses to ease the cost or weight - i'm not sure which. Now there are 3rd party lenses out there with FF F2.8 that are much more reasonable in cost and if i'm not wrong, primes are also more reasonable cost wise than zooms. If you're willing to go with some manual focusing ala A7 type mirrorless, than costs are much much more reasonable.

Without going into horrendous, horrific detail, my only point is that if one is going to buy F4 lenses for their full-frame - there isn't much of FF technical advantage over APS cameras with F2.8 lenses. DXO mark would show SNR and DR curves very comparable between FF F4 and APS F2.8.

I'm just speculating, wildly perhaps, that at some point, there may be a customer pushback for the Aps sweet spot with perhaps f1.8 prime lenses for some uses. Fuji has chosen to stay with APS, may be playing the smart card - only time and customer dollars will show the trend.

Pentax, Nikon and Sony all coming out with a new generation APS cameras is a validation that APS is an important marketplace.
IIRC, there was an interview with Fuji last year where it was stated that there was some technical issue (at the time) with them making a FF X-Trans sensor. That said, most of Fuji's lenses reportedly cover the FF image circle.

Personally, I'm quite happy with APS-C and my interest in Pentax FF is that I'd like to see a bunch of happy campers here.
07-10-2015, 03:48 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
IIRC, there was an interview with Fuji last year where it was stated that there was some technical issue (at the time) with them making a FF X-Trans sensor. That said, most of Fuji's lenses reportedly cover the FF image circle.

Personally, I'm quite happy with APS-C and my interest in Pentax FF is that I'd like to see a bunch of happy campers here.
My understanding is that most Fuji lenses (35mm and wider and the zooms) do not cover full frame and that the Fuji mount definitely cannot accommodate a full frame sensor. Seems unlikely that they would go full frame, as it would require a new mount and a new direction.

It was clear when Sony launched the E mount, that they had taken into consideration that they could put a full frame sensor in it if they desired. Fuji decided not to allow for that possibility.