Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 05:32 AM   #481
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
He says:
QuoteOriginally posted by ASAHIMAN:
Actually it looks like one fullframe body,2 APS-C bodys and a couple of new fullframe lenses for 2016.
Maybe a cheaper line later this year or beginning next year.
But that's not for sure.
Only the roadmap is clear for this year.
Officially we see this in Yokohama.
Best regards

---------- Post added 09-02-16 at 14:34 ----------

So two aps-c would be? Another experiment like the K-S1 or K-01 or an improved K-S2 (K-s3?) and a K-3 sucessor? K-2?

02-09-2016, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #482
Pentaxian

K3 successor and a K-02 with an evf and good video support would make the Pentax lineup pretty wide and strong. For me the K-1 + lens will be enough this year.
02-09-2016, 05:38 AM   #483
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
The new Asahiman leek speeks about 2 new APS-C bodies for this year.... on DPR.
(...)
Quoting the man:
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man:
Actually it looks like one fullframe body, 2 APS-C bodies and a couple of new fullframe lenses for 2016.
I want my 5 prime lenses back!
02-09-2016, 05:46 AM   #484
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So two aps-c would be? Another experiment like the K-S1 or K-01 or an improved K-S2 (K-s3?) and a K-3 sucessor? K-2?
Would not K-2 be reserved for a "lower" end full frame somewhere in future? And K-4 for K-S2 successor :-)

02-09-2016, 05:48 AM   #485
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
a K-02 with an evf
I remember hearing somewhere that Pentax were not philosophically keen on EVF, at least until the technology had advanced, but I figure what is it other than live-view in a very small screen? It will come in its own good time, I guess, but I'm thinking not until they've got the tech working to their satisfaction. Chances are they'll probably put some of the peripheral goodies from the K-1 into it as well, but I'm thinking an APS-C DSLR will probably come first.
02-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #486
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
Would not K-2 be reserved for a "lower" end full frame somewhere in future? And K-4 for K-S2 successor :-)
They'll add ad letter for entry level FF K-F1 or something. K-4 is a no go because of Japanese superstition.
02-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #487
Pentaxian

They'll add ad letter for entry level FF K-F1 or something. K-4 is a no go because of Japanese superstition.
Normally they add 0 after the model when they introduce lower end model
K1
K10 mid model
K100 intro model
02-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #488
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Normally they add 0 after the model when they introduce lower end model
K1
K10 mid model
K100 intro model
I am not sure anything is NORMAL about their camera naming strategy (other than K at the beginning) :-D

02-09-2016, 06:51 AM   #489
Pentaxian

Normally there wasn't a full frame and for entry and mid level bodies Pentax has been switching between numbers and letters. K-100D K-200D K-m K-x k-r k-30 K-50 k-500 K-s1 K-s2
02-09-2016, 07:49 AM   #490
ogl
Banned

K-S3 and K-3III - I guess...
02-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #491
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
The new Asahiman leek speeks about 2 new APS-C bodies for this year.... on DPR.
Well, then I guess we can expect one to be near the end of the year and it will be the K-3II follow-up, with some trickle down features from the K-1...
02-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #492
Pentaxian

K-S2 follow up in May and K-3(II) successor at the Photokina. (Although I think the K-S2 doesn't really need a successor yet).
02-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #493
Site Supporter

K-S2 follow up in May and K-3(II) successor at the Photokina. (Although I think the K-S2 doesn't really need a successor yet).
If accurate, that would be an indicator that there is very little inventory of K-S2 bodies right now (undoubtedly because there were very few orders for the 2015 fall season). The problem faced by the K-S2 (and any successor for the same market) is that it is an mid-tier entry-level camera and outside of China, southeast Asia and Latin America, the market for entry-level DSLRs has been shrinking for a few years and there are a confusing number of models available. How does the K-S2 stand out from what is available from Canon and Nikon? Don't forget that existing Pentax customers with older entry-level cameras needing upgrading have had four years to move up to the K-30/50. The K-S2 is better than those cameras, but not enough to convince K-30/50 owners to replace a very good camera that still works.

The K-3 successor has a much easier path to sales, pent-up demand from "enthusiast" customers who are looking for a reason to upgrade. This market likes to buy new cameras and plans to spend money on photographic equipment on a regular basis. The only thing holding back this market is anticipation of new features, not yet available. This is a good situation for Pentax, any customers who decide to not buy the FF camera will still be inclined to consider a less-expensive upper-tier APS-C camera with many of the same new features.

" I think the K-S2 doesn't really need a successor yet"
I would agree, but if Pentax wants to tweak their entry-level offerings, they might want to look at a different strategy for selling the new models. Online only? Filling out the lineup for Pentax only boutique kiosks? Big box stores can't sell value, they can only sell recognized brand names at price points; brick and mortar photographic stores aren't going to tie up inventory cash in a full lineup of the third or fourth best-selling brand in their retail outlets.
02-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #494
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
If accurate, that would be an indicator that there is very little inventory of K-S2 bodies right now (undoubtedly because there were very few orders for the 2015 fall season). The problem faced by the K-S2 (and any successor for the same market) is that it is an mid-tier entry-level camera and outside of China, southeast Asia and Latin America, the market for entry-level DSLRs has been shrinking for a few years and there are a confusing number of models available. How does the K-S2 stand out from what is available from Canon and Nikon? Don't forget that existing Pentax customers with older entry-level cameras needing upgrading have had four years to move up to the K-30/50. The K-S2 is better than those cameras, but not enough to convince K-30/50 owners to replace a very good camera that still works.

The K-3 successor has a much easier path to sales, pent-up demand from "enthusiast" customers who are looking for a reason to upgrade. This market likes to buy new cameras and plans to spend money on photographic equipment on a regular basis. The only thing holding back this market is anticipation of new features, not yet available. This is a good situation for Pentax, any customers who decide to not buy the FF camera will still be inclined to consider a less-expensive upper-tier APS-C camera with many of the same new features.

" I think the K-S2 doesn't really need a successor yet"
I would agree, but if Pentax wants to tweak their entry-level offerings, they might want to look at a different strategy for selling the new models. Online only? Filling out the lineup for Pentax only boutique kiosks? Big box stores can't sell value, they can only sell recognized brand names at price points; brick and mortar photographic stores aren't going to tie up inventory cash in a full lineup of the third or fourth best-selling brand in their retail outlets.
Samsung leaving the business has cleared some shelves in big stores, making room for Pentax. The K-S2 has pentaprism instead of a mirror, weather sealing and ibis all clear selling points, it should be an easy sale for a good salesman. Maybe sensor shift resolution as a bonus in the K-S3 and a new sensor maybe? Ricoh should also improve connectivity. Use bluetooth like the Samsung NX-1 and Nikon D500.
02-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #495
Site Supporter

I've said it many times before, and i say it again; Future is bright!! Good times ahead!