Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 164 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #631
Pentaxian

To go back to topic:
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man:
95% Looks like 2 new APS-C bodies this year.

02-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #632
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wonder whether they will use the K-1 controls on k-3 successor.
02-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #633
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd pay maybe $1250 for a K-3ii successor with the K-1's control layout and screen articulation, but I don't think Ricoh will release any such camera until at least 6 months after the K-1 ships. Maybe even a full year. They want current APS-C owners to upgrade to FF...
02-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #634

I am also waiting for k3ii successor however for me the most exciting feature would be SAFOX XII (ok we do not know much about it yet but lets keep fingers crossed for optimistic reviews). As for controls layout I am not sure if the 3rd dial would work for me. I may still prefer bigger top LCD instead of the 3rd wheel.

Anyway whatever the next APSC is gonna be we need to wait. That's for sure. And that is a pity... :-(

02-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #635
Veteran Member

medium end / entry body this summer, APSC flasgship for christmas, that would be in the habits of Pentax.
02-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #636
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
medium end / entry body this summer, APSC flasgship for christmas, that would be in the habits of Pentax.
Yes. K-50 needs the update more than K-3ll
02-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #637
Veteran Member

I'm not saying anyone should do this for free. I'm not saying anyone should do anything. I'm just saying that if, without proper access to documentation and the proper, kind of legible source code, they can do these amazing things, then a paid engineer at Pentax who knows his stuff might be able to do so too? Without spending as much resources and time on it? Being paid to do so, of course.

As for the K-50... there is the K-S2. Not a proper replacement for the K-50, to be sure, but they kind of fit in the same area. Both K-3 II and K-50 could do with a successor though... but it isn't urgent.

02-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #638
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes. K-50 needs the update more than K-3ll
I haven't been clear over the past year as to what the Pentax lineup actually consists of. When the K-S2 first came out, some considered it to be the K-50 replacement and the lineup to be K-S1, K-S2, and K-3ii (once the K-3ii later "replaced" the K-3, that is). However, right now, B&H still offers both the K-3 and the K-50. I'm not sure Pentax really needs five different APS-C camera lines, so I'm keenly interested in how Pentax answers any "future direction" questions at CP++.
02-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #639
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I THINK K-S2 was a limited production one-off to test a couple technology ideas such as Wi-Fi and articulated LCD. K-s1 and K-s2 both tested LED's. There was likely internal design going on that we couldn't see. K-01 was a rest product. MX-1 tested hinged LCD.

I think K-50 is the mid-range APSc body, unless the APSc flagship becomes the Pentax mid-range body, which I think unlikely.
02-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #640
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would not be that surprised to see a range like this:
KS-2 replacement -> K-3II replacement -> K-1
02-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #641
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
MX-1 tested hinged LCD.
I'm not sure about this one... The X-5 superzoom had a hinged LCD before the MX-1, and the MX-1 was a "twin" of the Oly XZ-2 (both made by Asia Optical, who also made the later XG-1 superzoom, if not the X-5). It may have been less of a technology test, and more of a feature bought off the shelf from AO.

The K-S1, K-S2, and K-1 all show that Pentax has been thinking about new applications for micro LEDs, sometimes with more success than others (would it have made a difference if the green disco lights had been white?)
02-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #642
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
I am also waiting for k3ii successor however for me the most exciting feature would be SAFOX XII (ok we do not know much about it yet but lets keep fingers crossed for optimistic reviews). As for controls layout I am not sure if the 3rd dial would work for me. I may still prefer bigger top LCD instead of the 3rd wheel.

Anyway whatever the next APSC is gonna be we need to wait. That's for sure. And that is a pity... :-(
I am waiting with you but I am guessing we will need SAFOX XIII or perhaps a brand new auto focus system. In the interim I am holding off buying any new lenses although I really want to get the Pentax 150-450 lens. I have that range covered with a Sigma 150-500 that will have to do until Pentax introduces a new APSC with state of the art auto focus. I would be happy with a K-3 reincarnated with SAFOX XX - same buttons, same resolution, same fps, blah blah blah BUT with state of the art AF.C / Tracking.
02-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #643
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I truly hope for a FF K-S2 successor. No full metal jacket needed. Loads of good rubber over a massive carcasse will do... Lower Resolution, faster bursting...

No, the S-Line doesn't seem to be a one off thing...

Pretty sure we maybe see a Q-S2 also...(EVF)
02-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #644
mee
Veteran Member

I'm rather astonished if they have the ability to produce 2 APS-C bodies this year. But I suppose they already finished the bulk of the R&D on the K-1 months ago and probably went right to work on the next items in the pipeline. Didn't think about that initially..

I really hope the updated flagship APS-C body is like a mini K-1. Essentially everything a K-1 is just with an APS-C sensor. It would be great if they use the same grip too. That way we can carry a K-1 and a K-newAPSC and just swap the grips if need be.
02-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #645
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm rather astonished if they have the ability to produce 2 APS-C bodies this year. But I suppose they already finished the bulk of the R&D on the K-1 months ago and probably went right to work on the next items in the pipeline. Didn't think about that initially..

I really hope the updated flagship APS-C body is like a mini K-1. Essentially everything a K-1 is just with an APS-C sensor. It would be great if they use the same grip too. That way we can carry a K-1 and a K-newAPSC and just swap the grips if need be.
Engineering three models should be much easier than engineering one model three times - they should be able to borrow engineering, sometimes even parts, between models.