Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #781
Site Supporter
Shanti's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 904
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
That is why I have a Nikon system, for the AF that actually focuses on moving birds instead of hunting before it trips the shutter. I realize I am the only Pentax user with this issue, but it is a real life irritation for me and to be honest, the only real complaint I have with Pentax!
What Nikons do you use? having second thoughts about the K1 I ordered,as the D500 is same price.& more Bird friendly .just have too much Pentax glass

03-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #782
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,430
If you really need the best tracking AF Pentax hasn't historically been the best choice. For everything else Pentax ranges from competitive to market leader.

We'll see how the K-1 does in AF. I hear strong reports the improvement is similar in scale to the change from K-5 to K-3.
03-02-2016, 12:40 AM   #783
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,703
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
What Nikons do you use? having second thoughts about the K1 I ordered,as the D500 is same price.& more Bird friendly .just have too much Pentax glass
Well in that case you have 2 choices for me:
- If possible you cancel your preorder and money and wait until there some reviews of K1 for actions/sports/BIF
- either you put your trust into Nikon that has very long history of top level AF.

You could buy D500 but honestly if you keep APSC, D7200 half that price still much much better and the sensor of D500 is no bigger. For BIF, better to invest more then in the good quality lenses and TCs. My understanding D7200 is top and will be very likely better than K1 for tracking.

An FF is not necessarily the best for BIF. If you can accept slow burst rate then D810/K1 have 36MP sensors, so 15MP APSC, meaning still quite some reach. Couple a good long lens with a good tele, and you are ready to go. For K1, that assuming the AF-C will be good. We don't really know yet. It will be significantly better sure. Good, still unknown.
03-02-2016, 12:40 AM   #784
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,703
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you really need the best tracking AF Pentax hasn't historically been the best choice. For everything else Pentax ranges from competitive to market leader.

We'll see how the K-1 does in AF. I hear strong reports the improvement is similar in scale to the change from K-5 to K-3.
If that true for AF-C and I hope it, then it is really nice . Hopefully by the end of the year we get the same on the APSC flagship.

03-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #785
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iloilo City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,098
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I am very glad to hear that. Asahi man stated here recently that they'll drop out of the APS-C market within a few years. I'm sure that if they ever do this, it would not be anytime soon, I'm sure APS-C pays a lot of bills, especially at the K-3 level, which seems to have sold well. The K-S1 and K-S2 might have been money losing enterprises in comparison... but the K-50 was probably successful.
if they kill APS-C then, I'm sure they will make a lot of Pentax users angry particularly those that have invested heavily on APS-C lenses. FF is not everybody's cup of tea. I for one am happy with an APS-C.
03-02-2016, 02:43 AM   #786
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,836
Nikon hasn't killed APS-C. Canon hasn't killed APS-C. Why should Pentax?

Even today, with the abundance of FF's bodies on the market, I suspect FF gear makes up less than 10% of any camera maker's revenues.

Expensive new APS-C sports/wildlife cameras like the D500 and 7D2 also reveal that there are good money-making market niches in APS-C that FF isn't going to eliminate anytime soon.
03-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #787
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 86
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
My experience with the K-5 is that AF-C performance depends on the lens. It works quite well with the DA70 at least.


Not a very useful lens for shooting [flying] birds or planes. With current airshow regulations even 300mm is short. I've even used 50mm for static exhibits.


What aperture are you talking about? I'm usually at 6.3 (lens minimum is 5.6) and AF.C is a bit lazy/sleepy when it comes to noticing that things are moving out of focus.
03-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #788
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
Not a very useful lens for shooting [flying] birds or planes. With current airshow regulations even 300mm is short. I've even used 50mm for static exhibits.


What aperture are you talking about? I'm usually at 6.3 (lens minimum is 5.6) and AF.C is a bit lazy/sleepy when it comes to noticing that things are moving out of focus.
Last time I used DA70 with AF.C was a week ago (for capturing people moving on snow sleds). I used f/4.

03-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #789
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,983
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Well in that case you have 2 choices for me:
- If possible you cancel your preorder and money and wait until there some reviews of K1 for actions/sports/BIF
- either you put your trust into Nikon that has very long history of top level AF.

You could buy D500 but honestly if you keep APSC, D7200 half that price still much much better and the sensor of D500 is no bigger. For BIF, better to invest more then in the good quality lenses and TCs. My understanding D7200 is top and will be very likely better than K1 for tracking.

An FF is not necessarily the best for BIF. If you can accept slow burst rate then D810/K1 have 36MP sensors, so 15MP APSC, meaning still quite some reach. Couple a good long lens with a good tele, and you are ready to go. For K1, that assuming the AF-C will be good. We don't really know yet. It will be significantly better sure. Good, still unknown.
My understanding is that many who shoot BIF depend on cropping to get the final image, so they need to start with lots of pixels, and a large-MP FF camera appears to be the best way to go. I typically don't do BIF, so this is purely hear-say on my part.
03-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #790
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nevada, USA
Posts: 485
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
if they kill APS-C then, I'm sure they will make a lot of Pentax users angry particularly those that have invested heavily on APS-C lenses. FF is not everybody's cup of tea. I for one am happy with an APS-C.
The assertion that Ricoh plans to drop APSC format was never made by AsahiMan, contrary to the post which you quoted. The mis-attribution was already pointed out a few posts back.

When you read something which doesn't make a lick of sense, it's prudent to verify the source before blindly repeating it as fact.
03-02-2016, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #791
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 38
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
The assertion that Ricoh plans to drop APSC format was never made by AsahiMan, contrary to the post which you quoted. The mis-attribution was already pointed out a few posts back.

When you read something which doesn't make a lick of sense, it's prudent to verify the source before blindly repeating it as fact.
But that would be the death of the most important function of the internet, well apart from porn sites of course! 😁
Brian
03-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #792
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,532
Right, asahi man never did say it, it was my mistake.

APS-C will continue on
03-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #793
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,529
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Nikon hasn't killed APS-C. Canon hasn't killed APS-C. Why should Pentax?
Pentax is a special case. You could also ask why Pentax does IBIS, pixel shift, telescope lens design and 36Mp FF camera at $1800, while Canon and Nikon aren't doing this.
Personally, I know that is I want classic all purpose camera system, I have to go Canon or Nikon, and if I want original and not always effective features I stay Pentax.
03-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #794
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,336
Pentax is under no obligation to implement every silly idea someone on a forum might have (e.g. to kill their APS-C line, to not launch the already developed K-1, to close their factories etc.). They're different, but in a smart way
03-02-2016, 10:05 AM - 4 Likes   #795
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,618
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Personally, I know that is I want classic all purpose camera system, I have to go Canon or Nikon,
Please do.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
a7000, aps, aps-c, apsc pentax, budget, camera, delay, dollar, dslr, ff, frame, generations, glass, info, k-3, k-5, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, photography, product, quality, release, replacement, request, ricoh, rumor, sensor, sony, sources, sub, time, weight
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Pentax 645D2014 also uses the 50MP Sony CMOS sensor! ElJamoquio Pentax News and Rumors 442 03-21-2014 12:57 AM
Using 67 lenses on Pentax APSC bodies-focal length setting cleffa Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 11-26-2013 05:22 AM
K-3 with 24mp Sony A77 sensor will be announced in early October jogiba Pentax News and Rumors 35 10-01-2013 02:07 PM
Behold! Sony's new trojan horse DSLR, the A7000 Z-shift JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 4 09-02-2013 06:26 AM
New APSC/FF sensor news beginning to take shape... JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 4 07-06-2011 04:11 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top