Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 04:05 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
the Fuji mount definitely cannot accommodate a full frame sensor
X-mount has a inner diameter (throat) of 44mm which is large enough for FF (m42 and m39 were also large enough).

07-10-2015, 04:53 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
X-mount has a inner diameter (throat) of 44mm which is large enough for FF (m42 and m39 were also large enough).
I don't know. I just know what I've read on the internet and it seemed to indicate serious vignetting issues if it wasn't widened a little.
07-10-2015, 05:16 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So was M37 (Asahiflex).
07-10-2015, 05:24 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Diameter is large enough but register distance is lot shorter so the usual problem of light rays coming at angle with WA may be trickier to handle.

07-10-2015, 05:31 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Diameter is large enough but register distance is lot shorter so the usual problem of light rays coming at angle with WA may be trickier to handle.
That would only be a problem with legacy glass, because you can design new glass around that problem or just use a lens profile. Also it depends on the sensor. I believe this was more of a problem on the A7R (36mp) than the A7 (24mp). BSI cmos is also supposed to be less affected.
07-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Just design your lenses with a recessed rear element, putting it as far from the sensor as it would have to be if there were a mirror box.
07-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Fuji's CEO stated earlier this year that photography was no more their business priority.

07-11-2015, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'm just speculating, wildly perhaps, that at some point, there may be a customer pushback for the Aps sweet spot with perhaps f1.8 prime lenses for some uses.
You may speculate so.
But people now shooting FF have no intention to go APSC ever again in their life. Nobody of those *I* know, at least.

If anything, they add smaller than APSC gear to their arsenal, like L/RX100.

BTW, a pro-level 24-70/2.8 may be heavy and expensive. But I found it worth every penny. Between an RX100 24-70 and FF 24-70, there is no room for APSC. The RX100 is (in equivalent terms) an F/4.9-7.6 lens, the FF F/2.8 of course. An APSC kit zoom is worse, a DA* 16-50/2.8 is an F/4, just a bit better than the RX100.

So, the advantage of an APSC dSLR with zoom is that it is cheaper. Otherwise, it hase been eaten up from below and above. Already.

The only room for APSC I can see in the foreseeable future are pro-level APSC mirrorless cameras like NX1 or A7000. When they beat SLRs in something. But here again, cameras like the A7 may eat that cake too.
07-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #39
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You may speculate so.
But people now shooting FF have no intention to go APSC ever again in their life. Nobody of those *I* know, at least.

If anything, they add smaller than APSC gear to their arsenal, like L/RX100.

BTW, a pro-level 24-70/2.8 may be heavy and expensive. But I found it worth every penny. Between an RX100 24-70 and FF 24-70, there is no room for APSC. The RX100 is (in equivalent terms) an F/4.9-7.6 lens, the FF F/2.8 of course. An APSC kit zoom is worse, a DA* 16-50/2.8 is an F/4, just a bit better than the RX100.

So, the advantage of an APSC dSLR with zoom is that it is cheaper. Otherwise, it hase been eaten up from below and above. Already.

The only room for APSC I can see in the foreseeable future are pro-level APSC mirrorless cameras like NX1 or A7000. When they beat SLRs in something. But here again, cameras like the A7 may eat that cake too.
By that point of view, couldn't one also say there is no room for FF since one could have MF and smaller APS-C and thus never going back to FF again?

Basically, it seems to me, one is simply leapfrogging a formfactor by this PoV.
07-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
By that point of view, couldn't one also say there is no room for FF since one could have MF and smaller APS-C and thus never going back to FF again?

Agreed. And GR is the prime example of an APS sensor put to excellent use.
07-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #41
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You may speculate so.

Between an RX100 24-70 and FF 24-70, there is no room for APSC. The RX100 is (in equivalent terms) an F/4.9-7.6 lens, the FF F/2.8 of course. An APSC kit zoom is worse, a DA* 16-50/2.8 is an F/4, just a bit better than the RX100.
Strange to hear such strange things from you...
RX100 - is the level of P&S camera in terms of IQ. Just a bit better than 2/3" sensor's results.

DA*16-50 and kit zoom are FAR better than RX100 lens.
07-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

MF is a whole new world when it comes to size and weight. The physical difference going from FF to MF is far greater than going from APS-C to FF. For that reason alone, I think MF will remain a tiny niche segment unless/until someone comes up with a form factor for MF that the masses would like.
07-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yawn. No one in their right mind is buying an FF camera in order for it be equivalent to an APS body. The simplest way to view the wholly irrelevant equivalence twaddle, is to state to you need to shoot at one stop slower shutter speed on FF than on APS at the same angle of view and ISO for the same DOF (this of course, doesn't make it sound like an advantage). What you choose to do with this, if anything, is in accordance to the law of reciprocity and completely subjective. There's no objective lessons or principles to be had from this.
07-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Yawn. No one in their right mind is buying an FF camera in order for it be equivalent to an APS body. The simplest way to view the wholly irrelevant equivalence twaddle, is to state to you need to shoot at one stop slower shutter speed on FF than on APS at the same angle of view and ISO for the same DOF (this of course, doesn't make it sound like an advantage). What you choose to do with this, if anything, is in accordance to the law of reciprocity and completely subjective. There's no objective lessons or principles to be had from this.
But if you know under what circumstances things like angle of view, DoF, DR, etc. are equivalent, then you also know what advantages FF does offer.
07-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are often-mentioned natural differences: wide angle lenses are less bulky in FF, telephoto less so in APS. Depth of field differences make isolation for portraiture easier in FF, but macro work easier in APS. Especially if you prefer primes, with the traditionally smaller Pentax size, it might make sense to carry both FF and APS bodies. A 20mm can serve as a very wide angle or medium wide; a 55mm can be either a normal or short portrait lens; a 135mm is a medium or longish telephoto. The extra body effectively doubles the number of lenses/focal lengths in the kit. (No need to reply that I'm crazy: that's already well known).