Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 164 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #646
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NOOOOooooo.......

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Well, there are plenty of people on this forum who has switched from FF to APS. It all shows that it is just a question of preferences...

My problem is whether I shuold add an FF to my APS body or a 645D, as I already own FF lenses from 18 to 600mm and 645 lenses from 33 to 300mm. Or maybe add both.....
Just get a 'Q' and a bunch of adapters....problems solved, you only have to learn one control layout, and you're good to about 4000mm...eventually they'll have a 100 megapixel full-frame Q...just keep waiting....and waiting....and...

Cheers,
Cameron

02-23-2016, 01:11 AM   #647
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm rather astonished if they have the ability to produce 2 APS-C bodies this year. But I suppose they already finished the bulk of the R&D on the K-1 months ago and probably went right to work on the next items in the pipeline. Didn't think about that initially..

I really hope the updated flagship APS-C body is like a mini K-1. Essentially everything a K-1 is just with an APS-C sensor. It would be great if they use the same grip too. That way we can carry a K-1 and a K-newAPSC and just swap the grips if need be.
In the past, Pentax did it consistantly and released many models, even at short interval. Nothing new.
2012:
K30: 21 Mai 2012
K5-II / K5-IIs: October 2012
2013:
K50/K500 was announced 12 June 2013
K3 was announced 3 octobre 2013
2014:
K-S1 was announced 27 August 2014.
2015:
K-S2 was announced 9 Feb 2015.
K3-II was announced 22 April 2015

Every year we got at least 2 new APSC body except in 2014 but 3 model were made available the year before.

There a new APSC flagship every 3 years with smaller release (II versions) somewhere in between. There also 1 new mid/entry level APSC body each year.

The entry/mid level don't require much R&D. Pentax just need to select the existing feature that should figure inside it. This could be basically a mix of K-S2 + K3.

I agree a new APSC flagship like K5 or K3 require much more R&D because each one has many changes put together in a single release. But just putting some of the K-1 FF technology into the APSC successor would do most of the work. They can use the new AF sensor with even more improved AF-C, put an articulated screen, 5 stops SR, have the new ergonomics and already be almost done. It would make sense to have a new sensor with some new possibilities like a bit better high iso or a bit more pixels or 4K video (ahah a few here are dying to get that!) but I wouldn't even be sure of that.

Also if you count, by the end of they year be just ready to honor the 2 years release cycle and milk Christmas.

If Pentax manage they would sell a lot of bodies, some K1 to high end, some K3 successor with good sport/action support like K1 as APSC flagship, some K-S2 successor, democratizing K3 features in a medium end body. if they feel like the market has the room for it, even some K50 successor being really a simplified K-S2 for the entry level. There will be at least 1 of theses, likely 2.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 02-23-2016 at 01:17 AM.
02-23-2016, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #648
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i still vote for a "Sport" or "Speed" version of the K-1
02-23-2016, 04:54 AM   #649

Having that flood of new K-1 threads I thought I would be the only one waiting for the next Pentax APSC.
Good to know I am not alone I like this thread

02-23-2016, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #650
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
There a new APSC flagship every 3 years with smaller release (II versions) somewhere in between. There also 1 new mid/entry level APSC body each year.

The entry/mid level don't require much R&D. Pentax just need to select the existing feature that should figure inside it. This could be basically a mix of K-S2 + K3.
I love how you say that they don't require much R&D.

I don't think it is that easy, though basically yes, it's probably going to be easier than a K-3 successor. And yeah, things from the K-1 can go into an APS-C body, though not necessarily unmodified.

Anyway, stills and video software can be used all over the place. At the very least for cameras that use the same processor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the processors are similar enough to let them port the software over. If exposure bracketing already exists in the camera, where is the difficulty in doing bracketing, just with the sensor in different positions? It is a huge time saver to select a bracketing mode, and let the camera do the rest. Moving the sensor manually is a lot of work and time consuming. Select the option from the menu, hold a button a long time, then hold another button a long time.

By now I think of the K-S series as a test bed, so unless there's a new feature they want to try out, or the oddball design of these cameras struck a cord with consumers, there's not going to be another. So we'll see a K-3 successor (a proper one this time) and a K-50 successor. Hopefully the K-3 successor won't just be a rehash of the K-1 in a smaller body though, but will introduce the latest Milbeaut processor and the latest Sony sensor (a6300?). A result of those things would be much improved video performance, and hopefully they'll make full use of that by going all the way with proper SR, LOG and clean HDMI. If they do, they'd have a massive hit IMHO. A combination of those things does not exist on the video market, especially not in a body as good and tough as the K-3. Those things again could go into a K-1 successor/a model sitting above the K-1.

Last edited by kadajawi; 02-23-2016 at 11:18 AM.
02-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #651
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote

I don't think it is that easy, though basically yes, it's probably going to be easier than a K-3 successor. And yeah, things from the K-1 can go into an APS-C body, though not necessarily unmodified.

Anyway, stills and video software can be used all over the place. At the very least for cameras that use the same processor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the processors are similar enough to let them port the software over. If exposure bracketing already exists in the camera, where is the difficulty in doing bracketing, just with the sensor in different positions? It is a huge time saver to select a bracketing mode, and let the camera do the rest. Moving the sensor manually is a lot of work and time consuming. Select the option from the menu, hold a button a long time, then hold another button a long time.

By now I think of the K-S series as a test bed, so unless there's a new feature they want to try out, or the oddball design of these cameras struck a cord with consumers, there's not going to be another. So we'll see a K-3 successor (a proper one this time) and a K-50 successor. Hopefully the K-3 successor won't just be a rehash of the K-1 in a smaller body though, but will introduce the latest Milbeaut processor and the latest Sony sensor (a6300?). A result of those things would be much improved video performance, and hopefully they'll make full use of that by going all the way with proper SR, LOG and clean HDMI. If they do, they'd have a massive hit IMHO. A combination of those things does not exist on the video market, especially not in a body as good and tough as the K-3. Those things again could go into a K-1 successor/a model sitting above the K-1.
Or in a model sitting aside from K-1, with a smaller number of pixels, but much faster burst speed. A camera for sport photographer, astrophotographer and videographer.
02-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #652
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote

Oh it will be costly if you want to refer to that other discussion of our, maybe more costly than what you wanted them to do. Difference here Pentax see the interrest and they are the one with the money and bet they company future with it

After all APSC 90% of the sales so one should not ignore they main market. As I shown they do it on a regular basis, no reason they don't do that again like all the past years.

For the video, honestly I don't know. I agree BSI APSC + 4K if something they could do for sure and it would look great. Would they choose to do it is another topic. If they can still get most of the sales but can drastically reduce costs by not needing the new processor, the new sensor and so on, they can greatly increase they margin or be much more aggressive on the price (likely both). It is part of the product design to prioritize things.

We will see.

02-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #653
Banned

The K-3ii is the most likely to be upgraded. Electronics from K-1 and a nice aps-c sensor inside.
02-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #654
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe its way too early to replace K-3II. If they replace it now I would expect only minor changes, like the AF chip from K-1 and firmware related changes.

If you look at Pentax digital interchangeable lens camera timeline at Wikipedia, its the entry level models that are ready for replacement. Sorry for repeating myself, but its also the time for a K-02, hopefully with EVF and a classic camera design.

And of course non APS-C cameras like a new Q and a weather resistant Theta with 4K video.
02-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #655
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I believe its way too early to replace K-3II. If they replace it now I would expect only minor changes, like the AF chip from K-1 and firmware related changes.

If you look at Pentax digital interchangeable lens camera timeline at Wikipedia, its the entry level models that are ready for replacement. Sorry for repeating myself, but its also the time for a K-02, hopefully with EVF and a classic camera design.

And of course non APS-C cameras like a new Q and a weather resistant Theta with 4K video.
When Pentax announces the K-3 II successor at photokina and starts selling in Q4 then their have been 5Q's between introduction and replacement, as with the K5 II. K-S2 successor is up first. I believe that Pentax maybe used the K3-II to test some new technologies for the K-1.
02-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #656
Veteran Member

I also think that is too early for a K3-II replacement this year. First, they must sell how many K-1 they can. A new flagship APS-C camera this year could hurt FF sales.

In my opinion, new FF lenses, and maybe an entry level camera must be the priority for Ricoh this year.
02-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #657
Pentaxian

We'll find out by the end of April.
Correction: kenspo will find out, but he won't say anything, he will simply tease us
02-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #658
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I also think that is too early for a K3-II replacement this year. First, they must sell how many K-1 they can. A new flagship APS-C camera this year could hurt FF sales.

In my opinion, new FF lenses, and maybe an entry level camera must be the priority for Ricoh this year.
This is not the same market. People that want an FF, will not go back and people that want to keep APSC will not buy an FF if the next flagship is a bit late.
02-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #659
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote

New sensor. PRIME IV chip. SAFOX 12 module. New body with that third topwheel (do we know what it is?). Led's to eluminate. 5-axis SR.
02-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #660
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
This is not the same market. People that want an FF, will not go back and people that want to keep APSC will not buy an FF if the next flagship is a bit late.
I'm not so sure. For many people, a camera is just a camera. And separation like FF users, and APS-C users is very fragile IMO. Last days I have read a lot of messages of people which says that they was not thinking about buying an FF, but when they saw the specs and price of K-1, they changed their mind. A very capable APS-C, with new features can be very attractive and move the balance for some, if it came to soon. But that's only my opinion.