Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 164 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #691
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Is there anywhere on the Pentax camera roadmap when the next APS C camera, either KS-2 or K3 II replacement, will be released? I'm thinking long term about a replacement for my K5 classic. Currently thinking APS C, despite all the attention for the K-1, superb though I know that cam will be.

How do you view camera generations? Is the K-3 one generation newer than the K-5, or two generations? I have an unwritten rule that any upgrade should be 2 generations or more, so I don't know if K-3 qualifies in that regard. K-3 seems to be a heck of a good deal now, though. K-5 to K-3 upgraders' consensus is that it is well worth it. But K-5 to K-3 is really only about 3 years newer, and the K-5 was already quite good.

Thanks, Glenn
Read this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/299089-new-apsc-pen...00-sensor.html

02-24-2016, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #692
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Is there anywhere on the Pentax camera roadmap when the next APS C camera, either KS-2 or K3 II replacement, will be released? I'm thinking long term about a replacement for my K5 classic. Currently thinking APS C, despite all the attention for the K-1, superb though I know that cam will be.

How do you view camera generations? Is the K-3 one generation newer than the K-5, or two generations? I have an unwritten rule that any upgrade should be 2 generations or more, so I don't know if K-3 qualifies in that regard. K-3 seems to be a heck of a good deal now, though. K-5 to K-3 upgraders' consensus is that it is well worth it. But K-5 to K-3 is really only about 3 years newer, and the K-5 was already quite good.

Thanks, Glenn
I'd say that the K-3 is 1.5 generations newer than the original K-5. It's a pretty big upgrade; whatever comes next will be even bigger.

I think it's time for a new high-end APS-C body.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2016, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #693
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
The whole equivalency discussion started with this quote:

I just disagree that FF necessarily makes lenses bigger, heavier and more expensive. Its not that simple. The reason FF lenses are lager and more expensive are that customers have higher (other) demands, so the lenses are often not built just to match APS-C lenses. They are built with better specs and that is the true reason the FF lenses are bigger, heavier and more expensive..
You need 50% longer focal lenght to get same angle of view on FF vs APS. This makes for bigger lenses. In addition there's no such thing as equivalent aperture except the same aperture, any same lens used on any format will have the same maximum aperture. It is just that you use the longer focal lenght on a larger format to achieve the same angle of view as a smaller one.

The concept of reciprocity has nothing to do with DOF but exposure; introducing DOF into reciprocity is therefore comparing apple to oranges (and why no photography text do so). In addition using the law of reciprocity to insist of comparing different ISO values as strict rule, is in fact dismissing the very same law as reciprocity tells us that there is no rules as long the exposure is the same. What DOF you prefer at F:4 at a certain angle of view at any format is purely in the eye of the beholder and the situation ; exposure is not.

The correct way to spell the effect is to say that you need one stop lower shutterspeed on FF than on APS to get the same DOF at the same angle of view. This is all you need to know. Which way you want to deal with it is up to the photographer; you can use the same aperture and get different DOF (perhaps the image is even DOF insensitive), or you can crank up the ISO one stop etc. (Theres is simply no rules here except reciprocity) In this way you do not put any restriction on the law of reciprocity; F:2.8 = F:2.8 (like it is written on any lens regardless of format), 125s = 125s, ISO 100=ISO100. This will get the same exposure on a cell phone or a 645D, and therefore the correct way to compare things by definition (thats why these correct numbers are on any camera and lens!). Note that DOF has nothing to do with the definition of any of these parametres.

It is also noteworthy that DOF equivalent lenses across formats do not exist as formats have different maximum magnification at the same angle of view when comparing similar types of lenses, and magnification is one the most important factors defining DOF.
And no one buy a larger format camera in order to collect the same amount of light as smaller one, so insisting on comparing lenses like you do, as a rule, is meaningless and totally misleading; some actually think you have to compare a 2.8 lens to a F:4 lens! As a tool for finding out what DOF at 5m is similar is perfectly valid. But claiming you have to compare 100 to 200ISO and not 125s to 250s is silly.

Imagine in the film days if anyone insisted that the correct way to compare a Pentax LX to a Pentax 67 was to load Agfapan 25 in the LX and TRI-X (at 1600ISO or whatever) in the 67 in order to collect the same amount of light, cause that is apparently the only way to do it......
You would certainly be none the wiser what the 67 could do for you.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 02-24-2016 at 06:21 PM.
02-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #694
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think it will be a huge upgrade from the K-3/K-3 II. Newer generation 24MP sensor, SAFOX XII from the K-1, tilt screen from the K-1 etc.

02-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #695
Veteran Member

If we get a tilt screen on the next APS-C I will be going CRAZY for this camera. I personally love APS-C and don't really "Need" FF. If I ever I get the need for some FF action, I just load up some film in my MX or ZX-7. That being said, the K-1 is the first FF camera I ever considered purchasing. I think it will bring new users to the Pentax world and hopefully that will bring Pentax back to my local camera shops!
02-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #696
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I don't think it will be a huge upgrade
Just what does qualifies as a major upgrade to you? Analog to digital?

A moveable screen, wi-fi tethering and a bigger upgrade in AF performance than K-3 to K-3ii was, that's what I would consider a major upgrade. My K-30 won't be worn out by 2017, but I'm saving my loonies to buy the next APS-C flagship from Pentax. Once I do that, then I can try to convince myself to spend more than $600 on a lens.
02-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #697
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Just what does qualifies as a major upgrade to you? Analog to digital?

A moveable screen, wi-fi tethering and a bigger upgrade in AF performance than K-3 to K-3ii was, that's what I would consider a major upgrade.
Major upgrade for me was K-x to K-5. K-5 to K-3 wasn't as big.

02-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #698
Pentaxian

Asahi man said there will be two new apsc cameras this year.
02-24-2016, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #699
Pentaxian

I just know that my very light kit is the camera with the DA35 on it and the 15 and 70 snug in a belt case, if I switched to FF the 35 could easily be switched with my F50 1,7 but could I find a 21 to 24mm FF and a 105 FF in Pentax mount that are the same size as the two DA lenses. In theory I know it is possible, I've owned a lens for 4X5 that is that small but does anyone make FF lenses that would replace my DA ones?

Full frame offers many advantages over the cropped sensor however compactness may not be one of them. And I could further lighten my load with the K-S2.

As long as there is a market for cropped sensor cameras they will be around. But then I never thought that vinyl would outlast cassette tapes or cds.
02-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #700
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K10D to K-3 was major.

K-01 in between was a sport.
02-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #701
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
New APSC Pentax by early 2016, using Sony A7000 sensor?
Early 2016 seems to be compromised yet
02-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #702
mee
Veteran Member

With respect to DR it might have even been a downgrade...
02-24-2016, 08:07 PM   #703
Veteran Member

As the web site on K-1 said, the FF was made by a small team dedicated to that project including lenses.
The rest of the peoples in engeeneering and design still work on updating the APSC, Q and others.
Ricoh, because of tehir success with the K-1, will introduce a better APSC to attract new user for the Pentax brand. I am sure APSC will be introduce before year end.to get the momemtum
02-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Asahi man said there will be two new apsc cameras this year.
Adorama's currently listing all the K-50s, K-S1s, and K-S2s as Closeout, and I'd like to think we can trust Adorama more than (say) Amazon Marketplace when it comes to these things; might the lower-end APS-C camera actually hit first? The K-S2 is half a year older than the K-3II after all...
02-24-2016, 10:04 PM   #705

A "major upgrade" is one that will either significantly improve photos or make things significantly easier for to take photos. For an amateur who isn't going to print anything larger than a 16 x 20, more MP than the current K-3 will have limited value assuming he/she has the right lens for the task at hand. It certainly can't hurt, but things like more dynamic range, better low light performance (including expanded ISO), better use of technology (e.g., tethering), and specific features to meet individual needs (e.g., star tracking for the landscape people, pixel shifting, tilt screen, etc.) are what I would call "significant."

I don't need an upgrade, but I certainly want one.