Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 164 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #721
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
You are right - at this moment. But I can guarantee you that the K-mount will be FF only in a few years, leaving us with the Q, K and 645 series. It makes perfect business sense...
I don't think this is a near term prospect or a prospect at all but it is fine by me as long as they bring out a 600mm high performance lens

02-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #722
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I'm not a camera market expert, but I sometimes wonder if the Pentax K30, K50, KS1, and KS2 market is basically saturated for the time being. That, and perhaps the prices of the top tier camera being so reachable for so many that they just go for the K-3. And maybe people are just waiting for the K-1, but seems like the K50 buyer is likely not to be the K-1 buyer.
The market skrink every year and I think most manufacturers have to drop price to sell and stay competitive.
02-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #723
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
You are right - at this moment. But I can guarantee you that the K-mount will be FF only in a few years, leaving us with the Q, K and 645 series. It makes perfect business sense...
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't know if further development of the Q system makes sense, at least given the overall parameters of the current Q system.
I have listed some obvious advances that could be made to the Q, largely within what Pentax is doing with K-mount cameras, but now many of us seem to be holding a "wake" - the gathering dating back to times when medical science sometimes misdiagnosed a comatose patient as being dead, so friends and family would visit while waiting to see if he would awaken.

---------- Post added 02-25-16 at 08:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I'm not a camera market expert, but I sometimes wonder if the Pentax K30, K50, KS1, and KS2 market is basically saturated for the time being. That, and perhaps the prices of the top tier camera being so reachable for so many that they just go for the K-3. And maybe people are just waiting for the K-1, but seems like the K50 buyer is likely not to be the K-1 buyer.
I'm quite sure that there is a market for lower-priced APS-C cameras - many of us aren't interested in having well-used previously higher-priced cameras as our only choice - but Pentax's strategy is completely confusing to me. Right now, places like B&H or Adorama seem to be carrying three cameras { K-50, K-S1, K-S2 } when one or two would be plenty.
02-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #724
Pentaxian

Nikon used to sell D90 until a couple months ago.
Inventory is inventory, it doesn't mean part of the manufacturers catalog or strategy.

02-26-2016, 12:38 AM   #725
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm quite sure that there is a market for lower-priced APS-C cameras - many of us aren't interested in having well-used previously higher-priced cameras as our only choice - but Pentax's strategy is completely confusing to me. Right now, places like B&H or Adorama seem to be carrying three cameras { K-50, K-S1, K-S2 } when one or two would be plenty.
And K3 is the price the K-S2 was not so long ago, there 5 APSC camera now: K50, K-S1, K-S2, K3, K3-II. I think 3 models only should be enough...

I would expect us to have by the end of the year:
- a K1 with APSC sensor, potentially improved sensor as APSC flagship. 33AF points and AF tracking algorithms, 3 wheels, either K-S2 or K1 screen. Some would love BSI sensor with great video. I don't know, but a better sensor would be interresting. Why not 28-32MP so you get a differentiator?
- K-S3 as K-S2 with K3 sensor and K3 AF become medium end body.
- Existing K-S2 can become the low end APSC body.

But as always, there the inventory of old gear so we would likely still have some K3-II and K-S2 still available and confusing people.
02-26-2016, 03:28 AM   #726
Veteran Member

Pentax need a better k-mount recruitment camera to undercut Canons 100D and Nikon D3300 in price, size and weight. Even if it means cheaping down on key components. A fast suggestion based on the K-500:

Improvements to cost, weight and size:
- Replace the prism with a mirror
- Bargain APS-C sensor
- Smaller battery D-LI68
- No steel frame, smaller grip, Q style wheels
- New kit lens: 18-50/4,5-5,6 RE non-WR

Recruitment features:
- Wifi with good phone app and on screen beginners guide
- Four colours worldwide: Black/silver, white/lime, blue/silver and white/strawberry, all with personalization stickers. Targeted for dads, moms, boys and girls
- An upgrade pack with white or silver 50-200mm, SDHC card, second battery, pouch for camera and both lenses, cleaning cloth, a Pentax catalogue and photography guide, a 10%/10$ cash back coupon for a 35/2,4 with all colours

Last edited by Simen1; 02-26-2016 at 05:45 AM.
02-26-2016, 03:37 AM   #727
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We'll find out by the end of April.
Correction: kenspo will find out, but he won't say anything, he will simply tease us

Sorry

02-26-2016, 03:57 AM   #728
Pentaxian

It's still February, you shouldn't start teasing yet...
02-26-2016, 04:03 AM   #729
Veteran Member

Hehe..I will try to tease less...maybe
02-26-2016, 04:35 AM   #730
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Aren't trolls indigenous to Norway?
02-26-2016, 05:56 AM   #731
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Pentax need a better k-mount recruitment camera
There are very good offers on the K-s1 every now and then. I jumped on one and bought a white+blue one (with white kit lens) for my son for christmas for only NOK 2390 (incl VAT).

It replaces my old K10d which he has used up to now. He quickly discovered that the K-s1's small buttons aren't as ergonomical as the K10d button layout, but everything else about the camera suits him better: Smaller size, a very good sensor with terrific high ISO performacne, better AWB, more exact exposure and much more reliable AF. Plus LV and movies, of course.
02-26-2016, 05:56 AM   #732
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Aren't trolls indigenous to Norway?
Originating for sure.
02-26-2016, 06:15 AM   #733
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
There are very good offers on the K-s1 every now and then. I jumped on one and bought a white+blue one (with white kit lens) for my son for christmas for only NOK 2390 (incl VAT).

It replaces my old K10d which he has used up to now. He quickly discovered that the K-s1's small buttons aren't as ergonomical as the K10d button layout, but everything else about the camera suits him better: Smaller size, a very good sensor with terrific high ISO performacne, better AWB, more exact exposure and much more reliable AF. Plus LV and movies, of course.
I fear that K-S1 on sale is not profitable for Pentax, due to a large prism and battery. I think the suggested changes would make more profit at the same price point, or undercutting the competition with even lower prices, just to increase the volume of sales and make Pentax more familiar to the beginners market. At the same time I think the suggested changes would make the camera more attractive for typical youth and family beginners. Lower size and weight will reduce some of the arguments for mirrorless cameras. Just like 100D often is mentioned as a size alternative to the larger ML cameras. Pentax could even make an EVF version ("just" replace the matte screen and prism) to make its own twist and make waves in the media again.

Last edited by Simen1; 02-26-2016 at 06:23 AM.
02-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #734
Veteran Member

A recruitment camera today will need total integration with a smartphone, to be controlled in totality with an app, and to be connected simple and easy to net. That's the essential for the young generation.
02-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #735
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
- Replace the prism with a mirrorl

Nope. They said no dslr without prism and 100% VF.
I expect them to keep that.