Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #751
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
All I can say is that while the K-S2 is a great mid-line APS-C DSLR, I sincerely hope there will continue to be premium APS-C cameras under the Pentax name. I want the K-3 line to continue.
It will continue for sure. 99% sure we get a K-1 with an APSC sensor as next flagship... Most likely ready for Christmas at it match the historical time frame and target the best moment of the year for sales, or at worst during 2017 if the FF made them late.

There would likely be a new medium end APSC body too during the year, likely a light version of K3 in K-S2 body.

02-27-2016, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #752
Pentaxian

Remember there is a gathering called Photokina in September this year...
02-27-2016, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #753
Veteran Member

I think the new 33 point AF will be great for an APS-C body. It looks like it almost covers the entire APS-C OVF. I think the most important thing for Ricoh right now is getting glass updated with faster AF motors. Maybe they move to a BSI APS-C.
02-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #754
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think the new 33 point AF will be great for an APS-C body. It looks like it almost covers the entire APS-C OVF. I think the most important thing for Ricoh right now is getting glass updated with faster AF motors. Maybe they move to a BSI APS-C.
Yes, most of the birds I photograph are sitting on branches, but as I already commented somewhere here, on another discussion forum a long-time Pentax user announced he's buying Nikon because he's tired of his BIF pictures not being quite in focus.

02-27-2016, 04:38 PM   #755

That is why I have a Nikon system, for the AF that actually focuses on moving birds instead of hunting before it trips the shutter. I realize I am the only Pentax user with this issue, but it is a real life irritation for me and to be honest, the only real complaint I have with Pentax!
02-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #756
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my hope is simple: make the K-3.3 more "compatible" with the K-1.1: i.e. same ergonomics, same "behavior". That would be a compelling reason for me to switching from my D800.
And if they go with a BSI chip, all the better.

Michael
02-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #757
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
It will continue for sure. 99% sure we get a K-1 with an APSC sensor as next flagship... Most likely ready for Christmas at it match the historical time frame and target the best moment of the year for sales, or at worst during 2017 if the FF made them late.

There would likely be a new medium end APSC body too during the year, likely a light version of K3 in K-S2 body.
Do you mean a K-1 body (size and dimensions) with APS-C sensor? i.e. like the 7D? I kind of doubt it, cause that means a needlessly bloated camera. Not something that Pentax does. Also, IMHO the K-1 is pretty much a K-3 with a FF sensor and the necessary increases in dimension. It seems to be an entry level-ish FF, for which there is place left above for a top of the line FF. So a APS-C K-1 would be a K-3, really. (They are starting to run out of names, aren't they?).

I could imagine if they wanted to introduce a APS-C camera that sits above the K-3, or want to do a proper successor to the K-3, they'd have a BSI sensor. High resolution, decent low light performance. It could be very fast. Add the latest Milbeaut (somehow Nikon has a processor that is capable of 4K video... unless Nikon switched to another source, that would mean a new Milbeaut must have arrived somewhere. Maybe Nikon exclusive for the moment, but that can't stay forever). A fast Milbeaut processor means things such as 4K video, higher quality video, and perhaps, with the right sensor, good live view AF (maybe even so good that it in some cases is preferable to the PDAF?). If they then also listen to customer feedback and re-enable old features and do the bare minimum for video, they have a really good successor or even camera sitting above the K-3. Something to go against for example a Canon 7D.

Developments for the K-3 Mk III could also go into the K-1 Mk II or a camera sitting above it (preferably the latter, so they can continue to offer the affordable entry level camera to those who don't need more advanced features). Faster processor, new software to add improvements for video, and maybe a newer, faster and cooler sensor. Add a few hundred $ to the price tag for that camera and Pentax has a nice line-up. People who want good video have a few options, people who just want great stills have affordable options.

02-28-2016, 04:34 AM   #758
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A k-3III with the same size of the k-3II and with a much faster AF and a much better noise handling would be fine with me.

I don't know if a new APS-C at the level of the D500 would help. It would be worth going into if it will attract new users.
02-28-2016, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #759
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
That is why I have a Nikon system, for the AF that actually focuses on moving birds instead of hunting before it trips the shutter. I realize I am the only Pentax user with this issue, but it is a real life irritation for me and to be honest, the only real complaint I have with Pentax!
I'm with you. The AF.C/Tracking with Pentax is not up to the level of Nikon or Canon - it is far behind. I don't know enough to say 33 points is better than 27 or worse than 100. Furthermore I do not care. What I do care about is that Pentax provide state of the art AF.C/tracking. It is disappointing, no it is aggravating, to travel for wildlife photography, spend hours/days in bad weather and not have the camera perform when the opportunity arises. I will wait for the next Pentax flagship cropped camera. If it is up to the standards of Nikon and Canon for AF.C/tracking I will remain a 100% Pentax shooter - it is just economical to do that and easier for me to shoot with one system. If it is not up to par then I will probably need to switch to Nikon or Canon for wildlife and probably for future all purchases.
02-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #760
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Do you mean a K-1 body (size and dimensions) with APS-C sensor? i.e. like the 7D? I kind of doubt it, cause that means a needlessly bloated camera. Not something that Pentax does. Also, IMHO the K-1 is pretty much a K-3 with a FF sensor and the necessary increases in dimension. It seems to be an entry level-ish FF, for which there is place left above for a top of the line FF. So a APS-C K-1 would be a K-3, really. (They are starting to run out of names, aren't they?).
No I mean all the features of K1 except the FF sensor and yes very likely it will be smaller than K1. Likely K3 or a bit bigger to fit the articulated screen and additionnal wheels on top. It is not like K1 is much bigger than K3 anyway...

I'am sure some shooters would appreciate to keep K1 size, in particular if that mean keeping the OVF size, having AF covering a larger area, getting a shutter given for 300K shots and 1/200 synchro speed, But for me the biggest complain I would have for K3 is the size/weight so I'am with you.

If they could put everything inside a 650g body or better 500g. That would be perfect but that doesn't seems likely neither, at least not before K1 level of specs make it to the mid/low end into a K-S4 or K-S5 body.
02-28-2016, 11:16 PM   #761
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
No I mean all the features of K1 except the FF sensor and yes very likely it will be smaller than K1. Likely K3 or a bit bigger to fit the articulated screen and additionnal wheels on top. It is not like K1 is much bigger than K3 anyway...

I'am sure some shooters would appreciate to keep K1 size, in particular if that mean keeping the OVF size, having AF covering a larger area, getting a shutter given for 300K shots and 1/200 synchro speed, But for me the biggest complain I would have for K3 is the size/weight so I'am with you.

If they could put everything inside a 650g body or better 500g. That would be perfect but that doesn't seems likely neither, at least not before K1 level of specs make it to the mid/low end into a K-S4 or K-S5 body.
Sure, why not 200g where you're at it. Or 50g?
02-29-2016, 12:22 AM   #762
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Aren't trolls indigenous to Norway?

02-29-2016, 01:21 AM   #763
Pentaxian

Some guys here should really check out Kengoh here on PF......

02-29-2016, 06:59 AM   #764

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote

You're not the only one. I have similar problem with big metal birds, as I have to keep the plane centred [with central point focus] or it will focus elsewhere with extended focus mode.
I like to shoot clouds but the AF sensor absolutely loves them.

And I really feel for Pentax bird shooters when I see a crow and try to take a picture...

P.S.: I have to admit this is based on long experience with K5, as I've had little experience with my recently bought (used) K5IIs and it's focus modes.
02-29-2016, 07:05 AM   #765
Pentaxian

Bird shooting is a bit boring with a 100% hitrate Nikon and Canon are just taking all the fun out of it.