Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 164 Likes Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #766
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
It seems to be an entry level-ish FF, for which there is place left above for a top of the line FF
What makes this a entry level FF is the D810 a entry level camera? The K-1 has more features and equal or better performance of the D810 no it is not a super fast sports camera but neither is the D810 or the 5DmkIII but they are not considered entry level by anyone. I guess just because it was not built to your specifications it is sub par.

02-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #767
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sure, why not 200g where you're at it. Or 50g?
Check the weight of K30, K50, K-S1, K-S2 or Canon 100D... I least, I propose things that are quite possible and have been done.
02-29-2016, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #768
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Check the weight of K30, K50, K-S1, K-S2 or Canon 100D... I least, I propose things that are quite possible and have been done.
No, you're mostly ridiculous and always know better. Quite a pita to say the least.
02-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #769
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No, you're mostly ridiculous and always know better. Quite a pita to say the least.
That a way of thinking, maybe not the ones of K-S2 or Canon 100D owners. I defend a point of view that I'd like new APSC bodies and no so big lenses and say I am convinced one or even 2 APSC bodie will come this year. Then people explain there will be no more APSC bodies now that FF is out, FF lenses are no bigger for the same reach. it is just the precise examples I give that are the exception to the rule and I should go buy an some A7 camera instead of asking for small DSLR lenses. And anyway light DSLRs can't be made.

But then why when the other argue continously that's normal? Isn't the only difference the side of each participants and everyone convinced on their view, actuall acting as mirror of each other behavior?

At this kind of games, one can't be alone anyway. If nobody argue, nobody respond.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 02-29-2016 at 01:06 PM.
02-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #770
Veteran Member

No I mean all the features of K1 except the FF sensor and yes very likely it will be smaller than K1. Likely K3 or a bit bigger to fit the articulated screen and additionnal wheels on top. It is not like K1 is much bigger than K3 anyway...

I'am sure some shooters would appreciate to keep K1 size, in particular if that mean keeping the OVF size, having AF covering a larger area, getting a shutter given for 300K shots and 1/200 synchro speed, But for me the biggest complain I would have for K3 is the size/weight so I'am with you.

If they could put everything inside a 650g body or better 500g. That would be perfect but that doesn't seems likely neither, at least not before K1 level of specs make it to the mid/low end into a K-S4 or K-S5 body.
There is such a thing as too light I'm in the K-5 camp, maybe a bit lighter would be perfect. There should be some heft and mass, but not too much. I guess to each his own.

@hangman: The D810 is a couple of years old. Things have moved on. And IMHO a professional DSLR needs to be good at stills and video. Most cameras are good at stills, the differences are relatively small. One has a bit less noise, the other one is a bit faster... but nothing earth shaking. No camera is terrible at stills. The K-1 uses what looks like rather dated hardware. Like a processor that is less advanced than what the D810 uses... again, a relatively old camera.

Keep in mind that entry level in FF is already pretty damn good. It just says that there is space above it. The K-1 may be exactly where it needs to be for Pentax right now, and is priced right. Nothing wrong with that.
02-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #771
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If they could put everything inside a 650g body
Already done by Nikon with D750, using carbon fiber composite frame, the D750 is lighter than a K-3. Go go for it.
02-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #772
Pentaxian

@hangman: The D810 is a couple of years old. Things have moved on.
Just to be nitpicking, the D810 is less than 2 years old

02-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #773
Veteran Member

The D810 is a couple of years old
And so far there is nothing replacing it just rumors. Even if they come out with a replacement tomorrow the K-1 will be one of the top 5 DSLR's a entry level FF is a D610 or 6D or a entry level Sport FF in the D750 the K-1 is leaps and bounds ahead of the D610 or 6D and is a different category camera than the D750 which it is better at what it was designed for than the D750 is. Your requirements for a FF does not mean that everyone has the same needs I would say the professionals that need video are few in comparison to the ones that demand highest IQ for stills.
03-01-2016, 04:48 AM   #774
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
P.S.: I have to admit this is based on long experience with K5, as I've had little experience with my recently bought (used) K5IIs and it's focus modes.
My experience with the K-5 is that AF-C performance depends on the lens. It works quite well with the DA70 at least.
03-01-2016, 05:48 AM   #775
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
My experience with the K-5 is that AF-C performance depends on the lens. It works quite well with the DA70 at least.
Lenses do make a difference.
However with long telephotos, when taking action shots of BIF for example, the performance of the Pentax K-5 is poor. The performance of the K-3 shows some improvement but AF.C is still deficient. I feel the Forum does a good job comparing Pentax K-3 AF.C with competitors in the section highlighting keeper rates.
Pentax AF.C has been significantly behind competitors and needs to be a target for design improvement. Ricoh addressed this to a degree with the K-3 but a leap in performance is probably overdue. Many Pentax action/wildlife shooter hope that the future introduction of a new flagship replacement for the K-3, designed from the ground up by Ricoh/Pentax, provides that leap in AF.C performance.
03-01-2016, 06:22 AM   #776
Pentaxian

In the article on the conclusion of CP+ the summary stated that Ricoh will maintain a flagship APS-C camera. I hope by that time the AF.C improvement will be a huge leap.
03-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #777
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
In the article on the conclusion of CP+ the summary stated that Ricoh will maintain a flagship APS-C camera. I hope by that time the AF.C improvement will be a huge leap.
I am very glad to hear that. Asahi man stated here recently that they'll drop out of the APS-C market within a few years. I'm sure that if they ever do this, it would not be anytime soon, I'm sure APS-C pays a lot of bills, especially at the K-3 level, which seems to have sold well. The K-S1 and K-S2 might have been money losing enterprises in comparison... but the K-50 was probably successful.
03-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #778
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Lenses do make a difference.
However with long telephotos, when taking action shots of BIF for example, the performance of the Pentax K-5 is poor. The performance of the K-3 shows some improvement but AF.C is still deficient. I feel the Forum does a good job comparing Pentax K-3 AF.C with competitors in the section highlighting keeper rates.
Pentax AF.C has been significantly behind competitors and needs to be a target for design improvement. Ricoh addressed this to a degree with the K-3 but a leap in performance is probably overdue. Many Pentax action/wildlife shooter hope that the future introduction of a new flagship replacement for the K-3, designed from the ground up by Ricoh/Pentax, provides that leap in AF.C performance.

Yes agree..the K3II is a bit better than K3 ,but AF C on 150-450 is still not good (BIF) ..really hope the FF is better ,as this lens deserves the best!!
03-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #779
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Asahi man stated here recently that they'll drop out of the APS-C market within a few years.
That was Asahiflex not asahi man, and--with all due respect for the man, of which I have a lot--I think it is pure speculation.
03-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #780

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
That was Asahiflex not asahi man, and--with all due respect for the man, of which I have a lot--I think it is pure speculation.
+1 from me. All those speculations saying Pentax will give up on APSC are just boring.
Come on guys, compare prices of brand new K-50 and brand new cheapest FF. Not to mention size, weight and speed.

Last edited by apete; 03-01-2016 at 04:32 PM.