Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #811
Pentaxian

I shoot long with friends who have a wide variety of equipment and lenses. We all come home with some shots, we all miss more than we get, focus is always a fight, We all love our equipment one moment and want to throw it over a cliff the next. The normal male competition isn't about length of lens or the name on the box, but the shots. We all get ones that everyone else wishes they could have got.

Learn how your equipment works and use it at it's limit. If you find an inadequacy, either wait for the next iteration or find a workaround, or improve your technique.

I have two choices this year. Either buy the K1 which would lose some things but gain others, or wait for the next iteration of the apsc. If what is in the K1 ends up in the K3iii or whatever it is called, it will be an amazing body.

Actually three choices. use my K3 until it breaks.

03-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #812
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm tired of this chorus; could we move on to some other song? Please?
You don't like "One Note Samba"?
03-02-2016, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #813
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm tired of this chorus; could we move on to some other song? Please?
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You don't like "One Note Samba"?
Actually, the whole thing is so infantile, I had something more like this in mind:
03-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #814
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
It's a reasonable position to take, even if he didn't say it. Not hard to envisage a future in which cameras with 1" or M43 sensors have got more than good enough to replace most of what APS-C currently does while still being clearly superior to smartphones. A smaller format also appeals to people, probably an awful lot of people, who prefer a fixed zoom lens and fairly simple controls to ILCs. That leaves FF for the heavy lifting, the bigger spenders and the button-fanciers - and by then FF would likely be less expensive than it is today, too. This would be a simpler and thus less costly world for the camera companies - fewer formats to support, etc. Of course, APS-C would not be killed off, i.e. abruptly discontinued, but it might just fade away in most cases, a no-man's-land between small 'n' simple but still very good and the mighty-barrelled pro-camera deal.
It's one thing to say that in the future, smaller format cameras and the falling cost of FF format cameras will put the squeeze on APSC cameras, and quite another thing to say that it's reasonable to believe Ricoh is leaking rumors that they are dropping their APSC line. I was commenting on the latter.

As you allude to, change in APSC presence in the market will be gradual. In the meantime, Ricoh isn't going to drop their APSC offerings.

03-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #815
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
O djeez Pentax is building in all kinds of features the competition don't even have in their top models, matches features with them en prices it competitive with mid level Full frames (I mean the D750) and cheaper than the aging 5d MkIII. I really need to complain about that!
That makes it so frustrating that they couldn't be bothered to implement a few more things that would make it the PERFECT camera (for most).

The problem these days is that the perfect camera (for me) doesn't exist. The Sony A7 II with software by Olympus, Panasonic or Samsung and a K mount would get very close. The a6300 with software from Olympus, Panasonic or Samsung and the SR from Pentax would be great. etc. But all in one camera? Nope. The K-1 or K-3 with software from Olympus? Amazing. With software from Pentax? Oh well. IMHO all that is wrong with Pentax comes from the software. It's all in the software.

As for APS-C... I don't think it will go away. Not everyone wants FF. Not even if the price were the same. APS-C has advantages. And there needs to be a generalist format between FF and mFT. Besides, APS-C is pretty much Super 35, popular for movie productions. I like the FF look, but I guess for my purposes an APS-C camera is more reasonable, though a FF can do, too.
03-02-2016, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #816
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why is almost everything on here so bad tempered?
03-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #817
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Brand loyalty is all well and good, just like rooting for a particular football team. I guess it makes you feel good, so great. But if getting the job done, or getting the image you want is the goal then perhaps it makes more sense to worry about the image first and the gear needed to make it second.
I have to disagree. Brand loyalty and football fans are putting feelings before rational thinking.

03-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #818
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax is a special case. You could also ask why Pentax does IBIS, pixel shift, telescope lens design and 36Mp FF camera at $1800, while Canon and Nikon aren't doing this.
Personally, I know that is I want classic all purpose camera system, I have to go Canon or Nikon, and if I want original and not always effective features I stay Pentax.
Man theses features work as intented and 36MP for a cheap price could not be seen as a drawback as this is less expensive than competition. You say not effective, that purely subjective and on the limit of trolling.

While we can agree Pentax K3 is great for AF-S not yet for AF-C there nothing that say the K1 will not fix that as this is one of the key advertised feature.

Don't want/like K1, nobody force you. Whoever you are, you should buy it only if you think this is a good compromize for you. That's common sense.

But this post of yours doesn't look very constructive, you bash to bash, not because you have really something to say.

As if you want a classic all purpose camera system, all DSLR from the most basic do that. They all have the basic features you need to major at a photographic school anyway and with proper skill and accessories can do all kind of photography. Studio, Portrait, Stree, Action/Sports, BIF, macro, fashion, weddings... The biggest limitation has always been the photographer, not the gear.

if you feel too limited by your gear, you say more on your own limations and skills than on the gear limitation and capabilities.

There millions of historical photos on all kind of subject that prove very basic gear can get you very far.

As for Pentax and action/bif/sport, we have many example here on this forum and many users that do it on a regular basis. If they can do it, it mean the gear is good enough for them. If you can't or if I can't, that because you or me are not good enough. As the gear is the same but it is not the same photographer, sure the gear is not the root cause.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 03-02-2016 at 02:34 PM.
03-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #819
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
What's funny is I have encountered m4/3 users who believe that m4/3 is a "temporary" format, and it will be squeezed by 1" compacts and APS-C for tele enthusiasts and FF for generalists.

From my own perspective, I find my Oly m4/3 stuff produces IQ that is pretty close to my 16MP Pentax stuff in low-to-mid ISO's... but I'm more interested in the pleasure I derive in using the equipment and my satisfaction in the resultant images, not in the technical aspects of the gear.
+1. There many formats is all we know today. like there were many format with film. Now we have smaller formats than before because big sensor are exensive to make on side and on the other side a given picture quality require a smaller format than with film.

Predicting what format will disapear, be used more, used less or be created is pure speculation. Anything could happen and it will widely depend on how the market (so us potential buyers) decide to vote collectively with our wallet for the years to come.
03-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #820
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think it the market is a bit crowded with sensor formats relatively close to each other. 1 stop difference are small in my opinion. APS-H finally died as a 1/2 stop increment a few years back and I don't think many people miss it. For the future I predict there will be no more 1/2 stop increments in sensor sizes. I also predict the current trend of fewer cheap P&S will continue because phone cameras will continue to get vastly better, but not with single larger sensors as they have up till now, but with camera arrays and the possibilities that imply. Sensors in all sizes will slowly become cheaper and shift the whole camera market slowly to larger sensor formats.
03-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #821
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I think it the market is a bit crowded with sensor formats relatively close to each other. 1 stop difference are small in my opinion. APS-H finally died as a 1/2 stop increment a few years back and I don't think many people miss it. For the future I predict there will be no more 1/2 stop increments in sensor sizes. I also predict the current trend of fewer cheap P&S will continue because phone cameras will continue to get vastly better, but not with single larger sensors as they have up till now, but with camera arrays and the possibilities that imply. Sensors in all sizes will slowly become cheaper and shift the whole camera market slowly to larger sensor formats.
Large sensors --> large lenses. And large cameras. It also means huge lenses for birders. With something mFT sized you can fit it all into a much smaller package, while doing the same (apart from low light performance). Some people also don't like the super shallow look a FF will give them. Or they want everything to be in focus. If they are stopping down like mad, they may as well shoot with a smaller sensor.

And IMHO APS-C is a good compromise. Not that big lenses, not that big sensor, but also decent image quality and the ability to get relatively shallow DoF AND big DoF. It sits in the middle.
03-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #822
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Brand loyalty and football fans are putting feelings before rational thinking.
That is what I said. I thought. It is what I meant anyway. Not sure how you got anything different from it but I have managed to make myself unclear in the past so perhaps I did again.

---------- Post added 03-02-16 at 05:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Please, tell me how to work around AFC issues , I'd be genuinely happy.
Not sure what you mean. I have no issues with AF.C works fine for me. Perhaps your application is different and I can understand that. Perhaps if you showed us some images taken with the k-3 where you had issues someone could help. And if not, at least then you will know that Pentax is not going to work out for you and you can look at other brands.

If you need world class tracking, well I don't think anyone believes that Pentax is good at that. If you bought into Pentax expecting that, well that is sad, but good research before buying something expensive is always a good idea. I just bought a little 1" sensor pocket camera and I did almost a month of research before buying it.
03-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #823
mee
Veteran Member

Actually, the whole thing is so infantile, I had something more like this in mind:
(10hours) Lamb chop song that never ends - YouTube
Interestingly, I referenced that song with a group of late teens and 20 somethings today... none of them seem to understand the reference.
03-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #824
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Interestingly, I referenced that song with a group of late teens and 20 somethings today... none of them seem to understand the reference.
I guess I need to find out if my daughters {currently aged 28 and 24} remember watching Shari Lewis and that song.
03-02-2016, 08:15 PM   #825
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I need to find out if my daughters {currently aged 28 and 24} remember watching Shari Lewis and that song.
28? I'm 60 and it was old when I was 6.